Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > convert family DVD to Mini DV tape

convert family DVD to Mini DV tape
bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2009, 08:26 PM

Question 1:
I have a mini DV camera which can receive in and out (as I have exported to and from computer to camera before), hooked it up via firewire to standalone DVD recorder. Doing this I can play a Mini DV tape and burn onto DVD, but I can't do the reverse i.e. play a DVD and copy to MIni DV tape.

These are family (non copy protected) DVDs.

I'm assuming firewire is the way to do it, as it worked for the opposite conversion? By the way I can copy DVD onto Mini DV tape using composite cables from DVD recorder but as this is analogue quality I'd prefer to use firewire (digital)

I know the mini DV camera has in and out, but I'm wondering is it possible that the DVD recorder only has firewire in and not out? Could that be the problem?

Question 2:
On a separate but related note I would also like to know is it possible to copy copyrighted DVDs to Mini DV tape (either via firewire or analogue cables hooked up to standalone DVD recorder or computer software etc)? Before anyone gets annoyed with me, it's for training purposes only I wish to take a few clips from several different movies to demonstrate filmmaking techniques to a film class. I can totally understand why this copy protection is there to avoid piracy, but it is a bit tricky for people like me who have a legitimate reason for doing this, otherwise I'll have to bring numerous DVDs to my class and load each one up to show each clip, which takes ages.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2009, 01:11 AM

1. Why do you want to copy from DVD to miniDV? Outputting back to miniDV is sometimes appropriate in a studio setting, but I can't think of any reason why a consumer would want to do it. If you're concerned about backing up your DVD, it's much easier to back up the contents of a DVD on to a hard drive - especially if it's an unencrypted DVD. In that case, you can just drag the VideoTS folder to a place on your hard drive and play the folder using DVD Player or VLC.

2. Again, there's no reason to use miniDV for this. (Are miniDV tape decks really that popular in Australia?) Either use a DVD ripper utility and then burn the contents to a blank DVD, or use HandBrake to take the bits and pieces of the DVD you need and burn them to a DVD.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bonniescotland  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2009, 01:30 AM

Hi Big Mac
Re 1. Want to convert home DVD to Mini DV tape for future editing in FCP. I've heard it's hard to edit DVDs. Also looking through these forums and googling I've also looked into computer software to convert a DVD to a DV format for ease of editing. Someone suggested Mpeg Streamclip which is free but I couldn't get it to convert DVD files to DV (will convert other types of files though). I actually am prepared to pay for conversion software but so many are discussed on these forums I'm not sure which is the easiest to choose and I might end up paying for the conversion software and it's too tricky for me to use, so I figured a much simpler method of converting DVD to Mini DV was via a standalone DVD recorder and mini DV camera, but if there is a simpler method via the computer I am willing to look into that also. I might add I know DVD is slightly worse quality than Mini DV tape so I know quality wise it doesn't make sense to convert, but this is stuff that we want to edit for a family do so the quality isn't a big deal, but I'd still like to try and get maximum quality (that's why I want to use digital conversion via firewire rather than analogue composite cables). So yes I'd really like to get this converted to a DV file.

2. Okay I know there is supposed to be methods to rip copyrighted DVDs via computer software and I do have the program DVD Ripper but honestly the few times I tried it I could never get it to work, maybe I should look at it again, or maybe this Handbrake you suggested? I do agree though that with this second question it would make more sense to have the clips on another DVD. I just figured Mini DV seemed an easier method (though maybe not!) than my unsuccessful attempts at trying to copy a DVD.

Actually just thinking I bought Toast 9 Titanium, I forgot about that as haven't used it in ages, would that convert DVD files to DV, and also would it rip copyrighted DVDs? I guess I'll have to fiddle with it, but if anyone knows would be great.
( Last edited by bonniescotland; Mar 13, 2009 at 01:43 AM. )

bonniescotland  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2009, 03:22 AM

Hi Big Mac and others
Well re:
1. Decided to try Toast to convert a DVD (non copy protected) to DV. As an experiment tried 2 DVD movies that I have created (so definitely not copy protected), both times seemed to be slowly converting, both movies are less than 10 mins but took ages to convert. However near end of conversion the first DVD I tried Toast came up with an error message that DVD damaged. Both DVDs do work by the way in DVD players, so they ain't damaged.
Then I tried the next DVD and at the end of the conversion Toast came up with the error message may be copy protected.

So this is why I try and use a mini DV camera, just because most times I go near software on the computer it either never works or it takes weeks off my life trying to get it to work! So frustrated, why has everything got to be difficult!

OreoCookie
Mar 13, 2009, 06:53 AM

What you're trying to do does not make much sense.
If you want to edit the videos with Final Cut, you have to import them again onto your harddrive!

Instead, I would just rip the files to high-quality h.264 files using software like Handbrake. You can then open them with QuickTime -- and thus also Final Cut Pro. Handbrake also works with copyright protected DVDs.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2009, 07:14 AM

You're converting DVDs to miniDV because DVDs aren't easily editable.

But in order to get it to the miniDV, you must first convert the DVD to a format that *is* easily editable, anyway.

So why not just omit the entire miniDV stage?

bonniescotland  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2009, 10:09 AM

As I've mentioned in my previous post I was trying to convert to Mini DV tape via a standalone DVD recorder as I was having problems using DV conversion software on the computer. Seeing as I couldn't get the conversion software to work I figured an alternative method would be copying the DVD to a Mini DV tape and later importing this into FCP.

So I would still like to know anyway whether it is possible to copy a DVD onto a Mini DV tape with a standalone DVD recorder.

I am however now having some success with combo of MacRipper and Toast, but when I converted a 16:9 Video TS file to DV (using Toast) it seems to be the wrong aspect ratio, everyone is tall and skinny, so perhaps I've neglected to change the aspect ratio in toast to 16:9. I will have to try it again. Also if I'm planning on later editing this file in FCP I'm not sure if I'm supposed to in toast convert file to DV or H.264?

OreoCookie
Mar 13, 2009, 10:40 AM

I really would not advise that. You will have an unnecessary DA-AD conversion in between, etc. etc.
Just download Handbrake, pop in the DVD into your Mac and convert it to an h.264 video. You can immediately edit this in Final Cut and is also faster than the solution you propose.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2009, 10:42 AM

DVD is not meant to be edited.

You need the source files that were used to create the DVD.

Anything you do using the DVD as the source will result in image degradation.

bonniescotland  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2009, 06:51 PM

To Oreocookie

Is Handbrake better than Toast? Because I already have Toast, what would be the advantage of downloading Handbrake? I'd prefer to stick to Toast now I'm getting used to it, but if you think Handbrake better then I might try it.

What's the difference between converting to a H.264 or DV file, is H.264 preferred to DV?

By DA-AD conversion do you mean even if I use a firewire cable between the Mini DV camera and DVD recorder it will be a part analogue conversion, wouldn't firewire make it all digital conversion? Also are you saying that the quality of converting this way would be inferior to converting via computer software?

To MSuper69 yes I know DVD will cause image degradation, if you read my original post you will understand why I want to do it.

To everyone else does anyone know the answer to my original question is it possible to convert a DVD to Mini DV using a DVD recorder and Mini DV camera. Yes you have outlined the reasons why I shouldn't do it, and I appreciate all your replies as I have learned a lot from all your replies which has been very helpful with the computer conversion side of things, but I would still like to hear from anyone who knows how to convert using Mini DV camera, I've outlined my reasons in my previous posts and I'd prefer not to have to rehash them again. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know.

OreoCookie
Mar 13, 2009, 07:22 PM

Toast burns DVDs primarily, Handbrake rips DVDs. h264 is a particular modern format that is part of QuickTime. With Handbrake, you don't need to go via DV, you can immediately use the ripped movie files in Final Cut. Plus, Handbrake is free.

Forum Links
Forum Rules