Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Photo Gallery fast-builds?

Photo Gallery fast-builds?
druber
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2003, 01:58 PM

I've finally got my photos from Africa organized and resized and whatever-ized. Building gallery pages, however, looks like a huge task. Thumbnails in a simple table would work well enough, but I'd like the links to pop open a page with the image, the window being the size of the pic. I can do it by hand, but that'll take endless copy/pastes. Could something as accessible as Applescript be used to pull the next file name from a folder, make the correct changes to a text file, the save the file as the pic's name, and move on? I can follow the concept, but writing it out in any code is beyond me.

I've seen solutions like Gallery, etc. That'd be handy, I guess, but I don't need picture resizing, stuff like that. I'm using Movable Type, and maybe I should do more to explore that as a solution. It'd be great if the full-size pop-up window could also include some caption text, even if that meant non-standard-size windows.

I do own a copy of Flash, which I'm equally useless in. An actionscript to automate this would be fine as well. In some ways, it'd be preferable; it would push people to get permission to grab the photos instead of just running off with them, though this isn't essential. Hardly Ansel stuff.

Any thoughts? or ideas?

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2003, 03:02 PM

Tried iPhoto? It does a pretty nice job putting together web pages.

druber  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2003, 11:43 PM

Sure, but it's got zippo features. Captions, comments inside of CSS: probably will use MT. I'll try to post back when I find a decent solution that doesn't make posting ~450 photos a massive ordeal.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 09:29 AM

If you have a host that allows PHP and has the gd libraries available, there's a great app called "Gallery" that allows viewers to post comments and retains the digital data(EXif?) if the photos were taken from a digital camera.

The application builds thumbnails for you and allows you to generate 'albums' for different themes/events/etc.

If you are not serving the site yourself (or on a server where you can make some configuration changes), it can be a little more difficult.

The cool thing about gallery apps that are run on the hosting server is they can be dynamic and make changes on-the-fly.

Otherwise you'll be looking at rebuilding the image gallery any time you want to make changes.

Here's a link to Gallery software that is open-source:
http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=gallery&section=projects

And specifically a link to the "Gallery" software I've tried and liked:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/the_ga...ic_id=92%2C112

druber  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2003, 10:04 AM

Because I have a shared hosting account, I don't believe that my host has the image::magick software installed. I've checked out Gallery, and it looks like a pretty good solution. I have the pics, and I can make thumbnails no problem. Not sure if I could still use Gallery. I'm just afraid that I'll have to upload each pic and associate it with its thumbnail.

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 10:21 AM

Why not use photoshop web gallery, then tweak the index page background and banner, etc. then add the captions individually. But 450 pics, that's alot of work, maybe edit a few pics out, think of how many people will see all 450 images... I wouldn't.

druber  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2003, 11:02 AM

Well, but that's the whole point. When I searched the web for pictures of Kenya, I'd usually find less than a dozen scattered through a few travel stories. Those 450 pictures are around 1/4 of the pictures I took. And I don't expect that people will sit and browse the whole bunch, certainly not at one sitting. But if you're looking for pictures of the Nakuru game park, here's a whole pack. Shots around Nairobi? Yep, there's a set of those too.

Is the Photoshop Web Gallery built into the app? I've never heard of it before.

SAgent0068
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 03:22 PM

Not to plug my own app, but have you checked out myPhoto?

Click the icon in my signature for more details...
myPhoto: all you have to do is plug in your digital camera, import your photos as you normally would into iPhoto, organize them, add whatever captions you want, and voila! Your photos are on your web page! And what did you have to do to put them there? Simply install myPhoto.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 10:02 AM

i have used JAlbum a couple of times. it may be worth looking at.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12793

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 03:24 PM

I use Photoshop's automatic web photo gallery generator.

You can go in and tweak the settings for larger thumnails or smaller..and for the final size of the "large" views.

http://www.sd45.com/SandPatch2003/index.html

That is a gallery I posted last week.

I hand coded the movies and graphic additions, but the basic code is all Photoshops.

You can adjust the thumnails to include a file name as well..I just prefer to have images only.

yoyogi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 03:00 AM

better html export is great.
http://www.droolingcat.com/software/betterhtmlexport/

check out the templates on their site, or make your own.

Scoo
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 10:38 PM

I've been very pleased with PhotoSite TimeSaviour

Lots of features, free, stable
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

Forum Links
Forum Rules