Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Refurbished PBs: Sensible?

Refurbished PBs: Sensible?
selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 02:54 PM

As many of my MacNN friends are no doubt aware, I am contemplating the purchase of a PowerBook and I have a thought I'd like to share:

Given the numerous problems, including widely reported issues with white spots and latch difficulties, might one actually be better off buying a refurbished model than a new one, given the extra-stringent procedures Apple uses in preparing a returned PB for resale? Discuss.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2004, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by selowitch:
As many of my MacNN friends are no doubt aware, I am contemplating the purchase of a PowerBook and I have a thought I'd like to share:

Given the numerous problems, including widely reported issues with white spots and latch difficulties, might one actually be better off buying a refurbished model than a new one, given the extra-stringent procedures Apple uses in preparing a returned PB for resale? Discuss.
You could still get the same issues. Even though it's refurbed and goes through the strigent proceedures. One of the reasons why I would get a refurbed is to same some money. They are basically New machines once they come out of the factory even though they are refurbs.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 03:13 PM

refurbished direct from apple guarantees Panther. Most mac resellers on the 12 & 17" powerbooks are still shipping them Jaguar.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
refurbished direct from apple guarantees Panther. Most mac resellers on the 12 & 17" powerbooks are still shipping them Jaguar.
Yeah, I noticed that, too. Nice way to save about a hundred bucks.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 09:25 PM

I would do it just to save money. . .

baeksoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2004, 10:28 PM

I called Apple and questioned them on the quality of the refurbs. According to the salesperson, there is no guarantee on the physical, cosmetic condition of the computer - so there may be scratches, etc.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by baeksoo:
I called Apple and questioned them on the quality of the refurbs. According to the salesperson, there is no guarantee on the physical, cosmetic condition of the computer - so there may be scratches, etc.
Hmmm. I don't much like that. I assume there won't be any scratches on the screen, right?

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 02:19 AM

An Apple tech posted at MacInTouch.com forums a few months back advising against refurbs because if the return issue was a very intermittent problem, the testing procedures used weren�t long enough to find such issues, and the problem would just get passed on to the new owner.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
Originally posted by selowitch:
Yeah, I noticed that, too. Nice way to save about a hundred bucks.
If you buy a new Mac with Jaguar, you can get Panther for $20 through their up-to-date program. But you better buy before Jan. 31, because that's when the program expires.

Tek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2004, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
If you buy a new Mac with Jaguar, you can get Panther for $20 through their up-to-date program. But you better buy before Jan. 31, because that's when the program expires.
Wax, THANKS! I didn't know that they continued the program, I thought i missed the deadline by purchasing my revA powerbook around the 20th, i am so stoked that i get save all that money now, cause i want the Panther upgrade! Thank you so much!

May God Be With You.
-Matt

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 11:58 AM

I've got a new, refurbished 15" AluBook with Superdrive - and so far, this unit has been flawless. No scratches, no marks, no blemishes, no white spots, no errors - for all intents, it appears to be a brand new unit.

What's better, this unit came with only ONE 512mb ram stick, meaning I have the second slot open (standard is two 256mb sticks).

So far, I've been happy with my refurb, but as usual, I suppose that your mileage may vary.
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 12:12 PM

Also, I would assume that your odds of getting a few dead pixels would be greater with a refurb. If someone has, say, three dead pixels and complains loudly, Apple might give them a new machine and put the old one on sale as a refurb. I would assume that this would be fairly common with notebooks.

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 12:18 PM

I really don't know. Like I said, my PowerBook is flawless, no screen defects at all. Perhaps I've been lucky - but I have two other friends who have purchsed refurbs from Apple directly and have had absolutely no problems with theirs either.

For the price savings, it's well worth it.

Originally posted by WizOSX:
Also, I would assume that your odds of getting a few dead pixels would be greater with a refurb. If someone has, say, three dead pixels and complains loudly, Apple might give them a new machine and put the old one on sale as a refurb. I would assume that this would be fairly common with notebooks.
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

Voch
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 02:39 PM

I'm still very happy with my refurb PB G4 667/DVI. I've had it since February 2003.

EDIT: I bought it directly from Apple (and likely would only purchase refurb from them).

Voch
( Last edited by Voch; Jan 3, 2004 at 05:38 PM. )

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 02:47 PM

do you buy your cars used or new? if used, lean towards a refurb. if you have to be the first owner, buy new!

maybe the same rationale does not apply to computers, but it's a quick helper for 'what to do' situations.

of course, apple refurbs are more like buying a 'factory certified' used car from a dealership -- i think it's safer than buying from a no-name or third-party, but that's just personal preference

Forum Links
Forum Rules