Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DMS 1Gig Samsung RAM For 15" AL for $299 - Opinions?

DMS 1Gig Samsung RAM For 15" AL for $299 - Opinions?
mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2004, 05:40 PM

DMS has just dropped the price of 1Gig Samsung RAM For 15" Aluminum PowerBook to $299. Anyone had any experience with Samsung? I've used DMS in the past and have never had a problem.

http://www.datamem.com/viewitems.asp...ac%5FMemory&K=
( Last edited by mainemanx; Mar 12, 2004 at 08:42 PM. )
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

Lorinserbenz
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2004, 06:54 PM

Samsung is what Apple installs from the factory. $299 is a great deal.... OWC sells the same stick for $389

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2004, 08:35 PM

i'm using a samsung chip with no complaints at all

pippiwong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2004, 08:45 PM

but where does it say it's samsung. i just called them to find out and a salesperson answered the phone, but wouldn't answer my question cause he said they had closed a couple of hours ago.

mainemanx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2004, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by pippiwong:
but where does it say it's samsung. i just called them to find out and a salesperson answered the phone, but wouldn't answer my question cause he said they had closed a couple of hours ago.
Hmmmm... you're right. It doesn't say Samsung at the DMS site itself... I saw Samsung at:

http://dealram.com/prices/systems/23073/1GB.html

'Hope the DealRam site is right.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2004, 02:44 PM

We use DMS at work for our RAM, though we're seriously considering switching to OWC or someone else. We've had to return about 30-40% of the memory we've bought from them.

They're very good about returns, but we've had to do it entirely too often.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

mainemanx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2004, 08:32 PM

At DMS's suggestion I paid their $7.00 for UPS insured ... arrived today. Despite DMS saying they did not have Samsung in stock but could provide an equivalent replacement, when it arrived, just now, voila, it is a Samsung after all. Maybe I was just lucky!

Soooo... after printing Apple's instructions, I gathered up my courage, my Wiha System 4 tool set, and settled in with my Dazor Magnifying Lamp... standard operating procedure at my age :-(

The #0 Phillips-Head screwdriver gave an acceptable fit, not as precise as I would have preferred, but workable. I pressed down firmly, looking closely to make sure the screwdriver did not slip in the slots. The screws were not overly tight, but I was very deliberate, and went at it very s-l-o-w-l-y.

'Carefully spread the retainers, out with the the 256s, put the new 1 gig in the lower slot, returned one of the 256's to the upper slot, and :-)))))

About This Mac now says:

Processor 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
Memory 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM

Nice balance, wouldn't you say? Soooo, answering my own original question... so far, so good! I'll report back if a problem crops up. Right now I have FrameMaker under System 9, DreamWeaver, Safari, iTunes, Rosetta, Toast, QuickTime, etc., all smoking along.

P.S. Wow! 'Just looked... 1 GB Samsung went back up to $379... guess I am pretty lucky. No doubt it will be coming back down again, but for now:

Thank You DMS!
( Last edited by mainemanx; Mar 18, 2004 at 08:41 PM. )

mainemanx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2004, 01:19 PM

After a weekend of 24hr/day use... no problems... seems like the fan comes on less often.

I'm happy

Forum Links
Forum Rules