Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [Preview] Rebooted Icons

[Preview] Rebooted Icons
Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2004, 12:30 PM

I generally don't do previews anymore (guess why), but this time I couldn't resist. A complete "World Of Aqua"-style CandyBar replacement set, timed to coincide with the North American DVD release date for Revolutions.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2004, 12:38 PM

Haha Look forward to it

devboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2004, 12:56 PM

Awesome! A good icon set will be released on my birthday this year! Thanks Dave!
What's the difference between a Slacker, and
a Hacker?
A hacker has a computer.

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2004, 12:57 PM

Cool. I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

hosince
Mar 26, 2004, 02:05 PM

OMG! That's so cool!
How did you create that characters?
The characters are similar to characters on PC-Display.
Please teach me how to make. If you don't like post that, my AIM name is hosince.

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2004, 02:33 PM

Did you make that Agent Smith from scratch? That's amazing!

can't wait for those icons! (also can't wait for WOA Rev2 folders...)

Dave Brasgalla  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Caesar2099:
Did you make that Agent Smith from scratch? That's amazing!

can't wait for those icons!
Thanks - yeah, the entire icon is. One of my mottoes is "everything from scratch", unless there is a specific reason not to...

(also can't wait for WOA Rev2 folders...)
Heh... the Rev.2 folders are essentially done, open/drop states and all. They came out really nice. They are just waiting behind the Matrix release. The reason for that is because I believe that the Matrix franchise is inexorably positioned on the downward slope of a Bell curve of popularity and hipness, and this DVD release is perhaps the last time the icons I've done since "Documentations" will ever be relevant.

I'll make sure the Rev.2 folders get released in April. They will go very nicely with several themes I've seen released recently...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2004, 04:02 PM

looking forward to it.

been using woa for the past year, they're too great.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2004, 04:03 PM

I can't wait.

Seion
Mar 26, 2004, 04:27 PM

Ack! I read Japanese, so when I started reading "Rebooted" under "Matrix" my mind first started reading the Hiragana and Katakana characters correctly rather than what Roman letters they resembled. Really screwed with my mind lol

I look forward to this icon set, as I've loved all you others.
Normal People Worry Me.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2004, 04:45 PM

wait, so this is like the previously released Matrix-set, but just expanded?

dude, dave, I ****ing love your icons and skills, I am very impressed with them.

Dave Brasgalla  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2004, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by Seion:
Ack! I read Japanese, so when I started reading "Rebooted" under "Matrix" my mind first started reading the Hiragana and Katakana characters correctly rather than what Roman letters they resembled. Really screwed with my mind lol

I look forward to this icon set, as I've loved all you others.

Heh - fun! Originally, it was all OCR-A, but I thought it would be fun to write it in a sort of "matrix-y" hacker argot that visually referenced the falling code, since Neo and Trinity were originally hackers in the Matrix. What you see is a mix of OCR letters and numbers with a "fake" Japanese font based on actual Kana syllabary characters, chosen (and manipulated) for their resemblance to arabic letterforms. I'm glad it looks as whacked out from a Japanese perspective as 1337-speak does from an English-speaking one.

Dave Brasgalla  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2004, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by hosince:
OMG! That's so cool!
How did you create that characters?
The characters are similar to characters on PC-Display.
Please teach me how to make. If you don't like post that, my AIM name is hosince.
Thank you. As far as revealing how I do things, that's something I shy away from, so unfortunately I'll have to disappoint you there. I will list two prime ingredients: lots of Photoshop layers and lots of time! I don't have a "quick-fix" way to do this kind of stuff. I basically fiddle with stuff for months...

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2004, 07:58 PM

Wow, great job on that Smith sillouette. Ive been really looking forward to the Rev.2 folders since the Rev.2 drives came out. Nice job!

I really like that style of fonts... Where the Japanese characters are modified in such a way as to emulate another alphabet...

Anyone know where to find fonts like that? Ive been looking around but havent found a trace of any.

http://www.thelastfreecity.com/

That logo at the top is a good example of what kind of font Im looking for...

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2004, 09:12 PM

Matrix themed GUI stuff by someone who knows what they are doing

-Owl

Seion
Mar 26, 2004, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Dave Brasgalla:
Heh - fun! Originally, it was all OCR-A, but I thought it would be fun to write it in a sort of "matrix-y" hacker argot that visually referenced the falling code, since Neo and Trinity were originally hackers in the Matrix. What you see is a mix of OCR letters and numbers with a "fake" Japanese font based on actual Kana syllabary characters, chosen (and manipulated) for their resemblance to arabic letterforms. I'm glad it looks as whacked out from a Japanese perspective as 1337-speak does from an English-speaking one.
Indeed, it does look "whacked out" lol. What my mind first read was "A-e-ra-oo-na-e" until I hit the last character, and seeing that it was upside down and modified, my mind did a double take and switched back to Roman lettering. I'm not a native Japanese speaker, but one of my Majors is Japanese, so reading the characters has become second nature to me now. I'd always thought that some of the Kana characters resembled Romaji letters, it's interesting to see it executed. Sorry for being a little off topic here, I just love Japanese so much that I babble on about it every once in a while. Too bad this forum isn't UTF-8 compatible... can't type in Japanese.
Normal People Worry Me.

deej5871
Senior User
Mar 26, 2004, 11:17 PM

With all these people that can read Japanese, I would think that there would be more accurate translations of DSKY's site than what babelfish gives us. All I see on here is that people are guessing what exactly has been updated because babelfish doesn't do things too well. Can't you guys do a translation for us, or am I missing something?

Synotic
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2004, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by deej5871:
With all these people that can read Japanese, I would think that there would be more accurate translations of DSKY's site than what babelfish gives us. All I see on here is that people are guessing what exactly has been updated because babelfish doesn't do things too well. Can't you guys do a translation for us, or am I missing something?
Well I wouldn't think it's exactly their responsibility to translate anything that happens to be in Japanese.

deej5871
Senior User
Mar 27, 2004, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by Synotic:
Well I wouldn't think it's exactly their responsibility to translate anything that happens to be in Japanese.
I'm not saying it is their responsibility. However I do think that it would be helpful to the community here to know what DSKY's site actually says. But they don't have to do anything they don't want to. It would be very time connsuming to actually translate the site and then tell us what it says so I can see why they wouldn't want to do it. I just think that knowing what certain things say would be something that wouldn't be hard. But I have no idea how hard it is to translate things, being monolingual .

Seion
Mar 27, 2004, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by deej5871:
I'm not saying it is their responsibility. However I do think that it would be helpful to the community here to know what DSKY's site actually says. But they don't have to do anything they don't want to. It would be very time connsuming to actually translate the site and then tell us what it says so I can see why they wouldn't want to do it. I just think that knowing what certain things say would be something that wouldn't be hard. But I have no idea how hard it is to translate things, being monolingual .
Well, contrary to what anyone might say, things are definitely lost in translation. There's no way you can traslate things and still keep the same meaning - it's just not possible. Translation is more of an art of keeping the main idea intact through the language barrier. This is from the experience of knowing 5 languages (btw, English was a tough language to learn.)

I have provided a translation of one of DSKY's updates at one point in time, but as Synoptic mentioned, I can't be expected to translate everything that happens to be in Japanese.

There's also the fact that since Japanese is the most recent language I have learned, I haven't learned how to read it fully. While I can read Hiragana and Katakana pretty naturally without much thought, the third writing system, Kanji, still trips me up. Kanji are the ones that look complex and can stand for an idea or word. They each have multiple pronounciations, depending on context, which determines their meaning. Kanji are what most adult Japanese use to write, as it is more advanced than the syllabic Hiragana and Katakana. Unfortunately, in order to competently read a newspaper in Japan, or a website like DSKY's, one has to know close to 2,000 basic Kanji.

Most Japanese study Kanji from kindergarden through high school to learn all these basic Kanji so that they become second nature. Not having that advantage of studying Kanji for that long means that Kanji trips me up quite a bit - I just simply haven't been able to study enough Kanji.

This leads to a bit of difficulty in translating websites. I can understand it - as long as I can read it. =^.^=
Normal People Worry Me.

Dave Brasgalla  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2004, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by Seion:
Well, contrary to what anyone might say, things are definitely lost in translation. There's no way you can traslate things and still keep the same meaning - it's just not possible. Translation is more of an art of keeping the main idea intact through the language barrier. This is from the experience of knowing 5 languages (btw, English was a tough language to learn.)
Yes, and with so many characters in Kanji, therein lies the danger in messing around with Japanese graphically when I don't read it. I'm always tempted by the letterforms and pictograms, which, from a graphics and design standpoint, I simply love, but it also seems easy to make oneself look like an idiot.

English is tough enough grammatically, but imagine if it had thousands of letters in it's alphabet instead of 26, plus two additional alphabets!

By the way, since we are off topic, I love the way Finnish looks when written. To me it looks like a cross between anglicised Japanese and Hawaiian. A very cool and unique language. All those double "k"s and "a"s look really pleasing to me.

Dave Brasgalla  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2004, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
wait, so this is like the previously released Matrix-set, but just expanded?
Yes. I've taken the style of Documentations (which is really just the Aqua guidelines) and expanded it over more icons. Originally, I just did a couple of extra icons during Documentations, things I was interested in drawing. Soon, there were enough to warrant a new release, and since it was already system-oriented, I decided to go ahead and do a full CandyBar set, even though that means doing a lot of icons I am not interested in (floppies, anyone?). I went through the films to find objects and metaphors that match the required Candybar icons.

The Smith User was one of the first ones I did. Kate has always called this Apple icon "The Ominous Stranger", and 'round about the Reloaded DVD release, I thought of a funny gag for myself: to replace every possible user pic on my Mac with the Smith User. Silly, but fun. I tried to work it so that it really fit the Apple silhouette - so that, at first glance, you might not see the difference.

On a side note, I once accidently referred to the standard User icon as "The Ominous Stranger" during a phone conference with some Apple GUI people. Probably not a good idea.

dude, dave, I ****ing love your icons and skills, I am very impressed with them.
Thank you!

Bombia
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2004, 08:56 AM

Great!!! Can't wait!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2004, 11:41 AM

I am not a Matrix fan, but, that looks so good !

samvermette
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2004, 03:54 PM

Looks awesome!!

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2004, 01:16 AM

Those icons will rock. I love The Ominous Stranger-Agent Smith thing. Very slick, I can't wait.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2004, 01:22 PM

I just had to get in on this thread... Dave, your icons are by far my favourites. Thanks for so many great releases... after the Rev2 Drives set, I was anxiously awaiting the next WOA set and now this one comes as a total surprise! April 6 is going to be a great day for sure (I actually enjoyed Revolutions).

Is this set going to include a desktop by any chance? My deskop is currently graced by your "Mobil Ave" work.

Dave Brasgalla  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2004, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by joltguy:
I just had to get in on this thread... Dave, your icons are by far my favourites. Thanks for so many great releases... after the Rev2 Drives set, I was anxiously awaiting the next WOA set and now this one comes as a total surprise! April 6 is going to be a great day for sure (I actually enjoyed Revolutions).

Is this set going to include a desktop by any chance? My deskop is currently graced by your "Mobil Ave" work.
Thanks for the kind words... you know, I actually have several desktops in progress, but I don't as yet "believe" in any of them. One of them is a bit of a departure for me - sort of a comic-style "action" picture... the problem is, I don't think those kind of pictures make the best desktops. You have to be able to look at it day in and day out, and not have it fight with your icons (I think "Mobil Ave" is very successful in this regard)... we'll see..

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Mar 31, 2004, 09:57 PM

Awesome icons Dave. I can't wait for your WOA rev.2 set.
Who'sDaMac?

TRK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2004, 03:54 PM

Hey Dave,

Your work is truly amazing, im a beginner artist, when making your icons where do you spend most of your time Photoshop or Illustrator? And any tips on how to practice to become as amazingly talented as yourself? Thanks, cant wait for the new release!

Altix
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2004, 04:19 PM

Where exactly can we see the icons?
"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like tea. Now you put tea into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put tea into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now tea can flow, or it can crash... Be tea my Friend..." -Bruce Lee and Erilaz

Bombia
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2004, 03:57 AM

Today !!!

Zyote
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2004, 04:16 AM

Ooo, i can't wait! come on america wake up!!

time to get out of bed and get these icons uploaded!

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2004, 08:00 AM

I've almost worn out Safari's Refresh button waiting for these beauties to pop up on IconFactory.

Dave Brasgalla  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2004, 08:28 AM

Okay, everybody, you'll be happy to know that I just sent the final package to Ged for processing and uploading. They should be up in an hour or two... I'd guess 11 EST at the latest - gotta give Ged a chance to have some coffee and all! I left the poor guy hanging until the last moment...

While you're waiting for the server upload to kick in, stop over at Pixelhuset and grab the two new desktops that go with the set - they are live right now!

Pixelhuset

Enjoy!

(*whew*, I'm beat)

mac15
Senior User
Apr 6, 2004, 08:33 AM

Trinity Infinity is awesome, can't wait for the set dude

Dave Brasgalla  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2004, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by TRK:
Hey Dave,

Your work is truly amazing, im a beginner artist, when making your icons where do you spend most of your time Photoshop or Illustrator? And any tips on how to practice to become as amazingly talented as yourself? Thanks, cant wait for the new release!
Thanks! I divide my time between Freehand and Photoshop, with an occasional foray into Illustrator (which wigs me out) and various other apps. I usually build up raw shapes and shading in Freehand, then move into PS for texturing, tweaking, shadow work, etc.. Each icon usually has anywhere up to 60 layers. I build up textures in a way that is kind of similar to how you do it in a 3D app. There are "bump" layers, color layers, specular overlays, etc.. Anyone watching the trend of my recent output can easily see that it is texturing that interests me most right now.

As for tips, all I can say is just make as many icons as you can. I was just telling Ged yesterday, everytime I do a big set like this, I find out just how much I really don't know about Photoshop and Freehand. I really should read more manuals...

Oh, and I strongly recommend subscribing to Computer Arts magazine (the British one). It's a fantastic value for the money, the articles and tutorials are great and the CD's are always packed with useful goodies. Kate and I both run to the door of the studio when we hear the latest issue drop through the mail slot...

Dave Brasgalla  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2004, 08:46 AM

Here's a peek at the Showroom preview, since everyone is being so patient:

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 08:56 AM

Bombia
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2004, 09:06 AM

WOW!!! Great like always!

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2004, 09:23 AM

Wow!
It's already 8:22 AM. Where are they already?

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2004, 10:13 AM

*faints*

I could sit on that chair, honestly, its so damn real.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 10:29 AM

That sentinel... Holy crap. Nice job as always Dave.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 10:33 AM

Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Ayrostatik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2004, 11:12 AM

w00t! The icons are out! Go get 'em at the Iconfactory!

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2004, 11:19 AM

saaaaaaaaaaaweeeeeeet, too bad I don't care for dark themes, otherwise I'd use NEOS Matrix with these

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2004, 11:24 AM

Oh my lord.

This is the most beautiful icon set I have ever seen. Just amazing.
The Trinity desktop at Dave's site is damn cool too.

Of course, the big queston now is what Shapeshifter theme to use?

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2004, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by servo:
Oh my lord.

This is the most beautiful icon set I have ever seen. Just amazing.
The Trinity desktop at Dave's site is damn cool too.

Of course, the big queston now is what Shapeshifter theme to use?
There's a Matrix theme on ResExcellence.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2004, 11:48 AM

w00t!

Now I want a template for the CD's and DVD cases...

-Owl

idle
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2004, 12:37 PM

Dave, these are awesome to say the least. I think i'm going to use the word flabbergasted! w00t! *speechless*

[ idle. ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules