Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Airport card signal dropouts

Airport card signal dropouts
walker7366
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2004, 02:22 PM

hi. i installed an airport card into my ibook SE graphite running 9.2.2 (128 RAM) and an airport extreme card into my new g4 ibook going through a netgear 814 router. the g4's card seems to be working great. no troubles (yet!). but the signal on the graphite ibook keeps dropping and coming back (i can monitor it in the airport software dialog). it drops then comes back a second later and keeps doing it. i have the latest firmware on the computer and router and what i think is the latest airport software for os 9. i have re-installed the card a few times to no avail. now...the card doesn't seem to sit perfectly in the slot. it sort of raises up no matter how i try to fit the wire clamp on it. the card seems to be in securely. i pressed it in very firmly after it clicked, so i know it's in. same with the antenna wire. where i live it is not easy at all to get it looked at, nor can i throw money away needlessly. has this happened to anyone else? any suggestions? thanks!

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2004, 06:38 PM

actually, i was going to post something similar. my wife just purchased a brand new 12" iBook (1GHz G4). we had the airport extreme card installed in the apple store.

we're sitting in the SAME ROOM as my wireless linksys router, and i'm only seeing 1 bar ... .sometimes 3 bars for 1 second ...

my powerbook has all 4 bars lit.

anyone know what's going on???

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2004, 06:50 PM

haven't noticed drops in my airport extreme with my ibook g4. my wife uses a linksys card with her dell laptop with my airport station and that works fine.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

walker7366  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2004, 06:59 PM

allow me to clarify. on the graphite ibook the airport card completely loses the signal. it loses the network then gets it again. when it has a signal, it is nice and strong. but it loses connection with the network and then gets it back again and does this again and again. just wanted to point this out because it might have looked as though i was just saying that it had a weak signal which is not the case.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2004, 08:05 PM

I've noticed some routers (d-link and linksys) seem to do this when WEP is enabled.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2004, 08:36 PM

i fixed my problem by removing the airport extreme card completely and reinstalling. appears to work 500% better (*approxmate)

iamwiz82
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 10:12 PM

Make certain that the antenna wire is securely connected to the Airport Extreme card.

walker7366  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2004, 03:42 PM

as mentioned in the original post, i have re-installed the card at least 4 times, and the antenna is as securely installed as possible. am i the only one who has this problem??

Forum Links
Forum Rules