Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Screen Waves

Screen Waves
Unclej78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2001, 11:09 PM

I have a iMac 400 DV Slot loading. When i have windows open and click and hold the window open there are waves that seem to come from the speakers?

(Best way to describe this is pretend to hold magnets to the screen that doesn't produce color distortion, but only produces a full screen wave motion from bottom to the top.)

Volume doesn't seem to have a factor in this.

Any ideas or anyone else's do that?
-------
AIM: UNCLEJ78
12" Powerbook 1ghz, 768mb, B&W 400 w/Panther, Grape iMac G3 400, Beige MT, Couple of 8500's & Lower

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 14, 2001, 03:50 PM

It seems to be a common problem. I girlfreinds iMac DV does it too. If you do a search on 'wavey lines' at macfixit, you will get a lot of fixes that don't seem to work on her computer. The problem did go away for a while after installing OS 9.1, but it seems to be back. I've heard that it is caused by the screws securing the monitor cable not being long enough to properly ground the monitor, but I have read where people have had those screws replaced, and still get wavey lines. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but at least you know now it's not just your machine.

------------------
Carpe Jugulum
Nemo me impune lacesset

Bubba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2001, 10:14 AM

I too had this problem with my summer 2000 500mhz iMac, and there have been many posts at the apple discussion boards about this. Many of us took it in to get the RGB screw replace with a different style of screw, but that only worked for some (not me, but it did help the problem a bit), so that is an option. The second option is do what I did. Just use OSX. for whatever reason, OSX seems to have solved the problem (except for in classic/9.1). I can't explain it, but it worked. So if you are staying on 9.1 for a while, and you are still under warranty, take it in to your AASP and get them to look up the problem with the Service documents as provided by apple, and that should at least help the problem..

Good luck

Jason

Ayemax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2001, 11:57 PM

Yo Bubba.

I have the same machine.

Its the Video/analog power board. Some of'em wave. Some of'em don't.

Apple knows about.

The screws didn't work for me. And it did it in both 9 and X. You described it to a "T".

Nine times out of ten, mine would only do it when I was looking at it. But then again I was the only one looking at nine time out of ten.

Ever see that old cartoon where a frog jumps out of an old cigar box with Top Hat & Tails singing and dancing to - "HELLO MY BABY, HELLO MY DARLIN', HELLO MY RAG TIME GAL...."

Well my computer is that frog.

Go to your Apple guy and jump up and down until he fixes it - and he will.

Its a known issue.

When they do fix it though, don't be surprised if another entirely different frog jumps out of the box when you get it home.

itim55
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2001, 11:40 AM

My iMac 333 waves, too, but it disappears a few minutes after startup.

------------------
I know, I know, I'm just a rabid fan.
I know, I know, I'm just a rabid fan.

Ruby
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2001, 07:25 PM

Don't these lines suck? Mine have gotten a lot better. You can mess around with the L2 cache settings. Use the utility XLR8 Mach speed ( something like that ) I believe versiontracker.com has it. Set your L2 cache speed lower than you have it until you see your lines completely gone. Your processing speed may be a bit slower but at least it fixes the problem.

------------------
Ruby
[img]http://homepage.mac.com/albertwu/.Pictures/ichicks.gif[img]

Cipher13
Apr 24, 2001, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by Ruby:
Don't these lines suck? Mine have gotten a lot better. You can mess around with the L2 cache settings. Use the utility XLR8 Mach speed ( something like that ) I believe versiontracker.com has it. Set your L2 cache speed lower than you have it until you see your lines completely gone. Your processing speed may be a bit slower but at least it fixes the problem.
Yeah, thats the only fix that actually works.
I've never actually seen the problem myself.
Rather than altering the L2 cache though... anyone willing to open up their iMac and put a bit of shielding over the module? Hehe. Probably not.

Oh well. Um, you really should complain about it to Apple. The fact that the ones with it have a revised board is, in essence, and acknowledgement that there is a problem. A problem that should be fixed.

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules