Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Taleban use children as shields to fight British

Taleban use children as shields to fight British
moodymonster
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 07:00 AM

TALEBAN fighters used women and children as human shields as they tried to escape into the mountains of Afghanistan, British troops claimed yesterday.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...233426,00.html

real brave, taking advantage of your enemy's predilection not to attack women and children. Scum.

So it's not really about dying for a cause, but dying for rewards in the afterlife?

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 08:01 AM

America pushed them into doing this. The Taliban used to be all about women rights. We should send them money instead because that's the only thing that would stop them from doing stuff like this. They can't help themselves man.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 20, 2006, 08:13 AM

And when they do fire on them,"THEY ARE KILLING WOMEN AND CHILDREN!!!"

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 08:53 AM

Ya well in the 60's the US used black people. Tomato tamato.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by yakkiebah
America pushed them into doing this. The Taliban used to be all about women rights. We should send them money instead because that's the only thing that would stop them from doing stuff like this. They can't help themselves man.
Sorry, but that's a pretty weak argument. They can't help themselves? Puh-lease...

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2006, 09:06 AM

We are surprised by this? They are using children because they KNOW we are weak and won't kill a child in order to KILL them. If it was reversed they wouldn't hesitate to do differently.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
NO they didn't ! I LIVE IN THE DC AREA - home to lots of political violence and riots in the 60's and you are just repeating more urban ledgends.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by typoon
We are surprised by this? They are using children because they KNOW we are weak and won't kill a child in order to KILL them. If it was reversed they wouldn't hesitate to do differently.
We're weak because we won't kill children in order to kill them? How about not irresponsible?

Edit: They're weak They need children for protection!

moodymonster  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 10:59 AM

not shooting at women and children is very far from weakness. Fighting with integrity is much harder than fighting without.

Didn't stop the Paras and Gurkhas anyway.
“The second time they were firing through a building with women and children inside. My guys had to go around the left and right to get them.”

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
We're weak because we won't kill children in order to kill them? How about not irresponsible?

Edit: They're weak They need children for protection!
No that's just cowardly.

Don't get me wrong I'm not advocating that we kill the children, but if a terrorist is holding a child and using them as a shield what are you supposed to do? Let the terroris get away so he CAN KILL YOU Next time? or will you END HIS LIFE before he can come back to END yours? I'm sorry but this IS war and in wars collateral damage WILL and DOES happen. If there is no other way to kill the terrorist and if the unfortunate option of being that in order to KILL the terrorist shooting at you that you HAVE TO kill the child or hostage in order to do so then unfortuately you have to do that. If you can do it without killing the hostage then that would be the best option.

Yes we are weak because we won't kill a child in order to kill them and they KNOW IT.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 11:40 AM

No that's just cowardly.
Weak and cowardly are synonyms.

Don't get me wrong I'm not advocating that we kill the children, but if a terrorist is holding a child and using them as a shield what are you supposed to do?
Make a judgement call, like most likely have been doing?

Yes we are weak because we won't kill a child in order to kill them and they KNOW IT.
Things aren't that absolute. And, uh, that scandal sort of said that we were willing.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2006, 11:46 AM

I would not call it weak, typhoon. We have higher standards. We subscribe to particular ideals in warfare, and they do not. Whether or not our decision to remain committed to those standards is prudent from a tactical standpoint is a different story. In America's War of Independence we fought a British army that felt it necessary to line its troops up in rows because the British subscribed to a very high standard of noble warfare. That was obviously not a good choice from a tactical standpoint, since we did not feel compelled to fight such a noble war with the British. I personally believe American ideals concerning warfare are just. We should avoid collateral damage to whatever extent possible, although I agree that strategic goals in warfare do at times need to override concerns over collateral damage.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
We have higher standards. We subscribe to particular ideals in warfare, and they do not.
Bingo.

moodymonster  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 12:07 PM

don't mistake compassion for weakness

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 12:27 PM

We subscribe to particular ideals in warfare, and they do not.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 20, 2006, 12:29 PM

*sigh*

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 12:50 PM

You are "weak" because you won't kill innocent children?! WTF!?

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 12:53 PM

No that's just cowardly.

Don't get me wrong I'm not advocating that we kill the children, but if a terrorist is holding a child and using them as a shield what are you supposed to do? Let the terroris get away so he CAN KILL YOU Next time? or will you END HIS LIFE before he can come back to END yours? I'm sorry but this IS war and in wars collateral damage WILL and DOES happen. If there is no other way to kill the terrorist and if the unfortunate option of being that in order to KILL the terrorist shooting at you that you HAVE TO kill the child or hostage in order to do so then unfortuately you have to do that. If you can do it without killing the hostage then that would be the best option.

It's comments like this one that make me wish you will soon have a war inside your own territory. Maybe that would make you realise what a complete ....... you are.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
You are "weak" because you won't kill innocent children?! WTF!?
Just to be fair there are children in terrorist training camps and placing bombs.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 12:56 PM

I would not call it weak, typhoon. We have higher standards. We subscribe to particular ideals in warfare, and they do not. Whether or not our decision to remain committed to those standards is prudent from a tactical standpoint is a different story. In America's War of Independence we fought a British army that felt it necessary to line its troops up in rows because the British subscribed to a very high standard of noble warfare. That was obviously not a good choice from a tactical standpoint, since we did not feel compelled to fight such a noble war with the British. I personally believe American ideals concerning warfare are just. We should avoid collateral damage to whatever extent possible, ...snip....

(On the presumption that US "ideals" are what the US military says)

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2006, 12:59 PM

Would you PLEASE stop using apostrophes in plural words?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 12:59 PM

Just to be fair there are children in terrorist training camps and placing bombs.
Which is why I said "innocent children".

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2006, 01:39 PM

OH NOZ!!11! DOGZ BARKING AT MEH AN PANTIES ON MEH HEAD!!11!!1

:sigh:
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 03:20 PM

Which is why I said "innocent children".
How do you know they were?

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by cybergoober
Sorry, but that's a pretty weak argument. They can't help themselves? Puh-lease...
It was sarcasm.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
OH NOZ!!11! DOGZ BARKING AT MEH AN PANTIES ON MEH HEAD!!11!!1

:sigh:

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2006, 05:09 AM

It's comments like this one that make me wish you will soon have a war inside your own territory. Maybe that would make you realise what a complete ....... you are.
First off I'm NOT advocating killing innocent children. Secondly, if you were in a war zone and you had to make a choice. What would you do? If the ONLY way to kill the terroist is to unfortunately kill the child he is hold or using as a sheild or the terroist IS going to kill you or IS going to get away so he can come back another day to KILL you or your comrades what are you going to do?

I'm sorry but in a WAR Sh!t like this IS going to happen. Is it unfortunate? YES. If you think it makes me an ...... for wanting to protecting lives then fine I'll be an ....... Like I've said this IS war. Unfortunately it happens.
( Last edited by typoon; Jun 21, 2006 at 05:18 AM. )

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2006, 05:18 AM

I would not call it weak, typhoon. We have higher standards. We subscribe to particular ideals in warfare, and they do not. Whether or not our decision to remain committed to those standards is prudent from a tactical standpoint is a different story. In America's War of Independence we fought a British army that felt it necessary to line its troops up in rows because the British subscribed to a very high standard of noble warfare. That was obviously not a good choice from a tactical standpoint, since we did not feel compelled to fight such a noble war with the British. I personally believe American ideals concerning warfare are just. We should avoid collateral damage to whatever extent possible, although I agree that strategic goals in warfare do at times need to override concerns over collateral damage.

I agree with that. We DO have higher standards. Sometimes it's our "standards" that are getting us Killed. Should we still adhere to them? definitely. I'm not saying we shouldn't avoid collateral damage IF we can. It's a war and collateral damage IS going to happen. Unfortunately the terrorists know that we are going to go out of our way to try and not allow collateral damage that is one of the reasons why they are using "innocent" children as human shields.

People seem to think I'm advocating killing innocent children. I'M NOT! We are in a war unfortunately innocents will get killed. Should we try and avoid it? Yes and almost any cost.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2006, 05:29 AM

I'd use an adult instead since they'd offer more cover.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by yakkiebah
It was sarcasm.
Sorry, it's hard to tell sometimes.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2006, 12:09 PM

If the ONLY way to kill the oppressed freedom fighter is to unfortunately kill the child he is hold or using as a sheild or the oppressed freedom fighter IS going to kill you

Fixed. I made your post more palatable for any fundamentalists who happen to be reading this thread.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2006, 01:58 PM

(On the presumption that US "ideals" are what the US military says)
It's important to note that this is, by my count, the second time in history that von Wrangell and I have agreed on a topic.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan

Fixed. I made your post more palatable for any fundamentalists who happen to be reading this thread.

LOL Thanks Kerrigan.

Forum Links
Forum Rules