Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Best option for VHS->iMovie->VHS

Best option for VHS->iMovie->VHS
Treebeard
Apr 17, 2001, 10:05 AM

I'd like to take some old VHS home movies and iMovie the hell out of them (Wedding, college, misc stuff), and output them back to VHS.

I know Sony has a media converter (DVMCDA2 or something like that)that can take a VHS stream and convert it to DV. But I don't know if it will do it in reverse.

I have an iMac, so PCI boards are not an option. FireWire (or USB??) is my only option.

Can this be done without spending a fortune? Will I need two boxes: the DVMC (or something else) for input, and something else for output? How is the quality? What are the prices?

Sorry if I'm posting a lot of basic questions. but I don't trust computer sales people around here. They always try and sell you more than you need, and often as not don't know what they're talking about. I know: I used to be one. (Not that it's their fault. A lot are just people trying to make a buck. And management couldn't care less about training their people--particularly their Mac people.)

Treebeard

PS I'm absolutely smitten with iMovie. Makes me really lament the fact that I can't even remotely afford a DV camera. But I want to use it for everything I can in the meantime.

Hmmmmm. Speaking of which. If I need two boxes (for input and for output), how much more would a DV camera be? Can't cameras upload/record video from VHS/S-video? Or can they only download it to VHS? If that's the case, I may be able to find some room in my budget. Who needs to pay rent anyway?!

------------------
Hoom hom hmmmmmmmmmmm...
Hoom hom hmmmmmmmmmmm...

gmattheis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2001, 10:12 AM

low end cameras as a rule cannot input a video stream, hence they're limitation. for a specific task such as yours, i would reccommend the dazzle media's hollywood DV-Bridge http://www.dazzle.com/products/hw_bridge.html it's a fairly low cost, elegant solution.
if you want a dv camera that accepts inputs, you usually have to shell out a pretty penny, over 1000 dollars, US. goto www.mysimon.com and do a search in the consumer electronics section and look under camcorders.
"real geeks use text editors"

memento
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2001, 10:41 AM

the Sony DVMC-DA2 is supposed to be able to output AND input. I have one, but I've not tried to use it to output to VHS. For input, it's awesome. Plug any analog video source into it and iMovie will flawlessly import DV with it. Even in OSX.

I'll try and verify the output capabilities tonight.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

clifhirtle
Apr 17, 2001, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Treebeard:
I'd like to take some old VHS home movies and iMovie the hell out of them (Wedding, college, misc stuff), and output them back to VHS...FireWire (or USB??) is my only option... Can this be done without spending a fortune? Will I need two boxes: the DVMC (or something else) for input, and something else for output? How is the quality? What are the prices?... I'm absolutely smitten with iMovie. Makes me really lament the fact that I can't even remotely afford a DV camera. But I want to use it for everything I can in the meantime.
Tree -

The options for exporting/importing DV over Firewire are increasing at a steady rate. Your best bet for finding out exactly what's out there in this area is to head over to the Macintosh Products Guide at:

http://guide.apple.com

The MAG is currently the most comprehensive listing of products available for for the Mac and something that every Mac user should be aware of and use. MAG's a truly great resource and lists a ton of Firewire products.

To answer your question: the Sony DV converter handles both video input and output - you just hit a button on the top and it reverses the flow.

But personally i would recommend you take a look at the Formac Studio (over a basic media converter) for DV importing/exporting over Firewire. Formac is an established name in the industry and their Studio product is nothing short of an awesome package at $299 with composite/S-Video/Firewire importing/exporting at 30fps, and a built-in TV/FM tuner to boot. Using the audio and video inputs you can basically take your VHS tapes to VCD format or your local top 40 radio singles to MP3 with ease. When i finally spring for a new Cube, this is *definitely* the first peripheral on my list to buy. There's just so many possibilities with a product like the Studio.

http://www.formac.com

On the flipside, if you're only interested in basic DV import/export and willing to throw in another couple hundred dollars you might be able to pick up a used/refurb DV camcorder for around $600.

My strategy...
Buy the Formac.
Rent the camcorder.

;-)

Best of luck!

- C

[This message has been edited by clifhirtle (edited 04-17-2001).]

Treebeard  (op)
Apr 18, 2001, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by clifhirtle:
But personally i would recommend you take a look at the Formac Studio (over a basic media converter) for DV importing/exporting over Firewire. Formac is an established name in the industry and their Studio product is nothing short of an awesome package at $299 with composite/S-Video/Firewire importing/exporting at 30fps, and a built-in TV/FM tuner to boot. Using the audio and video inputs you can basically take your VHS tapes to VCD format or your local top 40 radio singles to MP3 with ease. When i finally spring for a new Cube, this is *definitely* the first peripheral on my list to buy. There's just so many possibilities with a product like the Studio.
It sounds great. Just what I need. (Some people said they had some minor problems with the quality of the Dazzle bridge.) But Formac lists the Studio at $399, not $299 (The Dazzle is $299). Do you know where I can get it cheaper? Or was that a typo?

If I can get it for $299, I'd buy it today. $399 is kind of over my price range.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Sony, but $499 is too far out of my price range. Maybe I'll just have to wait until the summer for a few more products to come out and/or prices to drop on the existing ones.

Treebeard

------------------
Hoom hom hmmmmmmmmmmm...
Hoom hom hmmmmmmmmmmm...

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2001, 06:33 PM

My post made not a damn bit of sense. Crap.

[This message has been edited by scottiB (edited 04-20-2001).]

I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

GreenMnM
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2001, 01:30 AM

Sony has a good reputation for a good reason. The Dazzle product is the first Apple/Mac compatible device the company has ever made. Now, I've never used it so I can't tell you how well or how bad it performs. I love my Sony Digital Media Converter, I send iMovies in and out of my Cube all the time (I have some videos on SVHS and can import and export at really good quality back and forth). I've been really taxing my Cube lately by making VCDs with Toast 5. Now, I had never heard of the Formac device before, but one benefit (I'm not sure how important this might be to you) is that it looks like it will import and export both NTSC and PAL (the Sony will only do NTSC).

If you look around, you can find all the devices for less than their "list" price, I got my Sony DVMC-DA2 for $324 and no shipping!

-Doug

Forum Links
Forum Rules