Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone: how long are you gonna wait?

iPhone: how long are you gonna wait?
seb481
Baninated
Jan 18, 2007, 06:25 PM

Are you gonna get an iphone as soon as it's out for sale or will you wait a little bit?

OSX Abuser
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2007, 08:50 PM

I will have to wait for the price to come down or for a better package from cingular.
Bottom line is and will be the price, not just for the phone but for price of service included.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jan 18, 2007, 10:25 PM

I'll probably wait until Christmas this year. I've read and heard a few rumors they will bump up the memory of them to significantly larger than what they're at now.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2007, 01:19 PM

i need a phone bad, and so im on track to be getting one when they come out, i may wait a bit but it will be hard.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 05:08 AM

Common sense and the discipline that comes with maturity means I should wait at least until Christmas. That would assure the rev. 1 bugs would be squashed and the first round of feature/spec bumps would have happened.

In all reality, I'll get caught up in the RDF around launch and end up jumping aboard right away.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2007, 07:11 AM

I'm going to hold out until some hands on reviews come in.

I'm in marketing, and never base purchases off of marketing information and demos.

suitechic1979
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2007, 03:44 PM

I am going to wait until the price comes down some. I also want to see if it is worth it after I read some reviews.. is it really worth it?
Health Tip: Stay away from diet pills like Lipozene Review, MediFast Com,

Lipovox Pills, and Hoodia Gordonii Plus

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 11:40 PM

Waiting to hear more... BT Teathering, use of BT keyboard (ThinkOutside), UMTS/HSDPA. This will probably be rev 2... I'm closing on our home in June, so I have reason to have to wait.. sigh...
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2007, 10:21 AM

I will probably wait until I get a chance to see some hands on reviews and pricing from Cingualr on services. Ideally I should wait till Feb 08 as that is when I come off contract with Sprint. Also, by then the European units should be coming out, which means unlocked phones and more than likely actual 3G capability, not EDGE. I am hoping that the next rev will have WiMax instead of WiFi, but I am not holding my breath since I think Sprint is the only one who has anounced plans to upgrade to WiMax

ebrunn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2007, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX View Post
I've read and heard a few rumors they will bump up the memory of them to significantly larger than what they're at now.
lol, the first version of the phone isnt even done yet. You can wait for the bigger hard drive models to come out. It is going to be at least a year intill a new model. You cant have people switching carriers for a $500 dollar phone , then 6 months later, making a new one.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 10:00 AM

I have to wait until at least this time next year!

Flying Meat
Senior User
Jan 28, 2007, 12:07 AM

I'll probably not get one until june - december 2008.
Reasons:
I'm the proud owner of a new core 2 duo MacBook Pro (with 2Gigs RAM).
I have a motorola-nextel cell from the company I work for.
I'm the proud owner of a new 8 gig gen2 ipod (with birthday engraving even!).

So i actually don't "need" anything the "iWhatever its final name is" offers.

Otherwise, I'd jump all over that thing!

jcatma61
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 03:59 AM

I'm due for my "New in 2" discount (so-called) for a new phone, but there's nothing else on the market I want. Not that I don't want a new phone... I only want iPhone.

If Cingular makes it worth my while to dump VZW and take a $350 hit for breaking contract on two lines, I'll jump in a heartbeat. Frankly, I don't see why they won't; we do it all the time in my business (which also deals in 2-year contracts and penalty fees).

Jobs summed up my sentiments precisely at MW: The Status Quo -- across the board among WM5 devices/apps and even the best cellphones -- Blows.

VZW could offer me a BB Pearl or a Treo 9000PW Platinum Plus and I'd still walk in a heartbeat. Frankly, I'm now mad at VZW for not giving me free service for a year to keep me aboard.

mergemedia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 05:51 AM

I'd have it today if it was available. I hate my current motorola 'smart phone'. Making us wait until summer is pretty cruel!

fergnetserv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 11:58 AM

At least until it is available on another network. My opion of Cingular is very low.
[email protected]

MP800 with 22" Cinema Display and 17" Studio Display
17" PB G4 1.33
12" PB G4 867
iMac 700

OS2Guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by seb481 View Post
Are you gonna get an iphone as soon as it's out for sale or will you wait a little bit?
I'm poised to buy the moment Apple opens the web site to pre-orders. I've held off since September 2006 to renew my cell phone contract because I felt sure Apple would release an iPhone. The first iPhones will be classic investments and well worth their $600 price. Not happy that AT&T will be handling my phone services because AT&T changed their policy of handing over your phone records to anyone who asks (including George Bush or Homeland Security) instead of obtaining a court order so I won't stay with AT&T once that contract is over. I suspect Apple will make deals with other cellphone providers by allowing sim chip replacement. That will mean you could go to TMobile, Sprint (again AT&T), Verizon or Metro and sign on with their service receiving a replacement sim card. You'd, of course, be able to transfer your phone number with the new service.

I use my video iPod (80gig) constantly either for music or movies and look forward to being able to flip it horizontally for a larger picture. Not happy that I can only get 8 gigs on the iPhone but sure that will change 'down the road' and perhaps be able to have the iPhone memory replaced with more memory. Apple may up the memory by the time of release. I'll want an additional charger base for work and home. I am a doctor by profession and find many medical facilities block wifi. The iPhone should solve that problem and if Cingular offers unlimited phone service with their two-year plans then no one has to worry about minutes.

I am really looking forward to the iPhone and subsequent releases. The ipHone can only get better.

Hobeaux
Jan 28, 2007, 03:16 PM

i would love to get the iPhone the day it comes out, but alas I'm still locked into my TMobile account. No amount of product lust can get me to buy out a contract -- maybe by the time my contract actually runs out the phone will be updated with a new and shinier model. Maybe.

though, the iPods are updating about once per year now so maybe the phone will update in similar fashion...
damn straight--or on the rocks, i'm not picky.

OS2Guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by OS2Guy View Post
I'm poised to buy the moment Apple opens the web site to pre-orders. I've held off since September 2006 to renew my cell phone contract because I felt sure Apple would release an iPhone. The first iPhones will be classic investments and well worth their $600 price. Not happy that AT&T will be handling my phone services because AT&T changed their policy of handing over your phone records to anyone who asks (including George Bush or Homeland Security) instead of obtaining a court order so I won't stay with AT&T once that contract is over. I suspect Apple will make deals with other cellphone providers by allowing sim chip replacement. That will mean you could go to TMobile, Sprint (again AT&T), Verizon or Metro and sign on with their service receiving a replacement sim card. You'd, of course, be able to transfer your phone number with the new service.

I use my video iPod (80gig) constantly either for music or movies and look forward to being able to flip it horizontally for a larger picture. Not happy that I can only get 8 gigs on the iPhone but sure that will change 'down the road' and perhaps be able to have the iPhone memory replaced with more memory. Apple may up the memory by the time of release. I'll want an additional charger base for work and home. I am a doctor by profession and find many medical facilities block wifi. The iPhone should solve that problem and if Cingular offers unlimited phone service with their two-year plans then no one has to worry about minutes.

I am really looking forward to the iPhone and subsequent releases. The ipHone can only get better.
BTW, I'm the proud owner of a 24" iMac, Core 2 BlackBook, and a 3Ghz Mac Pro (1 Terabyte hard disk, 16Gig Ram, 2 Superdrives) and the 80Gig Video iPod - and all are fully loaded with as much RAM, hard disk space, best video cards, superdrives. Each of these products were purchased within moments of their release and each has proven invaluable to me. Never had a problem with a one of them and will upgrade the MacPro to 3Terabytes of hard disk space and add the Blue-Ray drive when feasible.

When IBM stopped updating and selling OS/2 there was only one option for me and that was OSX. The transition from OS/2 to OSX was just too easy! I've never used Microsoft anything and have fallen head over heels in love OSX and Apple.

Is it obvious?

Tim...

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2007, 03:55 PM

I'm going to wait till the price point drops to a normal level. Considering that it'll probably cost €899/€999 over here..

Maybe in 2010

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

davesmall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 05:00 PM

I don't even want one if I'd have to commit to a high dollar monthly unlimited AT&T two year plan. By high dollar I mean $50 per month or higher.

The only way I'd even consider that is if the phone can be used as a modem for connecting my MacBook Pro to the internet (Bluetooth tethering). Supposedly Steve Jobs was quoted as saying they're not going to permit the iPhone to be used in this manner. If true that probably kills it for me (unless AT&T decides to whack Cingular's pricing).

What I really want is wifi access to Skype without using AT&T's cellular network unless out of WiFi range.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 28, 2007, 06:09 PM

I can't get it until this time next year, and I wouldn't get one until the price goes down or the feature content goes up (3G, more memory, iWork or some equivalent).

Originally Posted by fergnetserv View Post
At least until it is available on another network. My opion of Cingular is very low.
That'll happen...

... maybe in your dreams. Given that Apple would aim to make a global product, the only US carriers that could carry it is T-mobile and Cingular. Which one has the bigger network? Cingular. Besides, Jobs would never surrender control of the iPhone to Verizon even if Verizon were on GSM.

InThe2ndHalf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 11:11 PM

As soon as I can get my already Cingular hands on one! Part of the fun in being a geek is the bleeding edge experience. As close to skydiving as I'll ever get!
Jeff G

"Midway upon the journey..."

MadanKnightRyukendo
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2007, 11:20 PM

I'm going to wait until my financial troubles straighten out a little, and I can get off Sprint without getting charged massive amounts. Then I can go back on the employee plan at work (I work at Radioshack), and get 2,000 minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited internet for $25 on my iPhone

"Listen, I don't do warning shots: From start to end, it's completely a climax. Say your prayers."

ebrunn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2007, 12:47 AM

I prolly be at the Apple store a couple of hours before it opens so I can get one. Already have Cingular and dont have any problems with it so its a no brainer for me. Cant wait to break my Razr that day.

ottoveblin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2007, 01:07 AM

I'm going to wait until someone calls me and says 'I'm calling from my iphone. '
that person must be a young bridget bardot. there must be also a lunar eclipse ane I must be eating mentos.
If all of those requirements are satisfied, and I have a lot of extra cash and can't think of any tattoos I want, I will buy it.
and bill gates will cry a little bit.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2007, 09:19 AM

I thought that it would only be available through Cingular. Will Apple sell it through their store?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

whitakerg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2007, 02:58 PM

I heard a rumor that Cingular was going to offer free service for 1 year with the purchase of the iPhone for switchers to Cingular. If true I'll be buying one of the first iPhones.

doyouflip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2007, 06:34 PM

I'll probably pass on the iPhone (I love my BlackBerry....I know, I know...) but if they released a new iPod in that form factor w/that subset of features, I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

jdrumstik
Jan 30, 2007, 03:26 AM

I have to wait, probably atleast one or two years from the release date because verizon uses CDMA technology, and I highly doubt that apple will ever make a verizon phone anyways.

JEB
Jan 30, 2007, 03:57 AM

I'm gonna wait until the first one arrives, and someone posts photos of the un-packing process . . . I really just want to be 100pct sure that, in the box, it actually does include the awesome revolving pedestal it was sitting in at Macworld SF.

go
'Simplify. Simplify.' --Thoreau

JEB
Jan 30, 2007, 03:58 AM

I'm gonna wait until the first one arrives, and someone posts photos of the un-packing process . . . I really just want to be 100pct sure that, in the box, it actually does include the awesome revolving pedestal it was sitting in at Macworld SF.

GO APPLE!!! GO IPHONE!!! GO REVOLVING PEDESTAL!!!
'Simplify. Simplify.' --Thoreau

apollo11
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2007, 04:27 AM

I'll buy one as soon as Apple allow Brits to have one and when a new one comes out I'll get that one and so on. ££££££!

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 09:48 AM

Aug when my current plan dies and releases me from it's tenticles.

My wife and I plan on having matching iPhones, so if they suc, we both have crappy phones!

Forum Links
Forum Rules