Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Would You instantlyu buy a 6g ipod?

Would You instantlyu buy a 6g ipod?
applgeek
Apr 2, 2007, 10:32 PM

In the event the dreamed widescreen ipod was announced, wouold you quickly buy it?

What features would you want? Some examples are flash memory, wireless, 100 gig option, aluminum case, touchscreen. ect.

What features would make a turning point in your decisioin to buy?

What type of design would you like? examples are large screen and clickwheel, all touchscreen, iphone style screen (with button?), wdescreen with aluminum case, ect.
--applgeek
You can email me at [email protected] or aim me at applgeek

I am a proud blogger at freecasts.net!

Joy Of Tech!

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Apr 3, 2007, 12:15 AM

I'll buy it in a year and a half when my 5.5G turns 2 years old (because I believe in that 2-year cycle stuff).

I just want at least 80GB of flash memory. More battery life would be a plus, but the current battery life is good enough already for me. I don't care if it's still the same form factor, though.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

quiklee
Senior User
Apr 4, 2007, 02:52 PM

probably not . i have a 5g video ipod and I barely use it for video . . . i guess it's convenient only some times when i'm stuck somewhere and I want to catch up on my video podcasts
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2007, 03:00 PM

I just want at least 80GB of flash memory. More battery life would be a plus, but the current battery life is good enough already for me. I don't care if it's still the same form factor, though.
80GB of Flash memory costs like $750...
Linkinus is king.

Visnaut
Senior User
Apr 4, 2007, 04:14 PM

I have a 1G iPod nano 4GB, and I've gotten good use out of it. But having to re-organize the music I have on there every few weeks because I get tired of it is... well, tiring. So I'm looking at getting a large, 30GB+ iPod in the next year or so.

Here's what would really sell the 6G iPod for me:
  • Wide-screen multi-touch screen (just like the iPhone)
  • OS X (just like the iPhone)
  • Wi-Fi (syncing & sharing not truly a necessity)
  • Widgets (just like iPhone)
Even though it would be capable of running mail and iChat, and I would truly make good use of that, I have a feeling they want to keep those capabilities exclusively for the iPhone or a new mini palm-top class computer/tablet.

I fimly believe they'll keep the 6G iPod as all about the music and videos, which has always been the device's strength. Muddying it down as a PDA would confuse consumers and is probably best left to another class of devices.
( Last edited by Visnaut; Apr 4, 2007 at 04:39 PM. )

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Apr 4, 2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
80GB of Flash memory costs like $750...
Yeah, well, it'll drop in a few years.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2007, 08:11 PM

6G will surely be out in less than a few years though, so the point is moot.

ebrunn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 09:21 PM

yeah I will, its called the iPhone

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2007, 12:14 PM

Take the iPhone phone/webbrowser/wifi/etc out of an iPhone and I'll buy the iPod part. Widescreen, touchscreen, movie/music player. Sounds great to me.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2007, 12:36 PM

I have an old monochrome iPod mini, and to be honest, it's everything I need in such a device. 6GB is enough for me to hold a good amount of music. Also, I don't need video, but I want a screen.

If/when it dies, I'll probably purchase an iPod nano.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
I have an old monochrome iPod mini, and to be honest, it's everything I need in such a device. 6GB is enough for me to hold a good amount of music. Also, I don't need video, but I want a screen.

If/when it dies, I'll probably purchase an iPod nano.
Oooh we have the same iPods. I also am currently happy with my mini, but when it bites the dust I'm getting a video.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Oooh we have the same iPods. I also am currently happy with my mini, but when it bites the dust I'm getting a video.
I wonder at times how much more life my iPod has in it. I'm tempted to replace the battery and hard drive when that day comes.

I have a PSP, and the video novelty wore off in about a month. I would rather have a smaller form factor and no moving parts vs. video. Just my 2¢
( Last edited by mitchell_pgh; Apr 6, 2007 at 11:33 AM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2007, 08:05 PM

4" 720x480 screen with 100-120GB for $200-250? Sold.

But I don't see that price point happening until next year.

nhmlco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2007, 05:36 PM

iPhone screen and interface w/80GB HD, minus the phone.

ramcosca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Take the iPhone phone/webbrowser/wifi/etc out of an iPhone and I'll buy the iPod part. Widescreen, touchscreen, movie/music player. Sounds great to me.
This is exactly what I'm hoping for, although I know I'm going to buy it even if it doesn't come with all of this. I've been waiting for... let's see... 14 months now, is it? I've been reading all about this magical touchscreen iPod and that's what's been keeping me from buying one. The iPhone's announcement that it was to be touchscreen was only the unofficial confirmation of the rumor that the iPod's coming with a touchscreen... uh.. screen.

So many words to just say "what he said"... lol.

ebrunn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by ramcosca View Post
This is exactly what I'm hoping for, although I know I'm going to buy it even if it doesn't come with all of this. I've been waiting for... let's see... 14 months now, is it? I've been reading all about this magical touchscreen iPod and that's what's been keeping me from buying one. The iPhone's announcement that it was to be touchscreen was only the unofficial confirmation of the rumor that the iPod's coming with a touchscreen... uh.. screen.

So many words to just say "what he said"... lol.
The iPhone is the 6G iPod.

EddieRebel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2007, 08:05 PM

I have a question. Given that the iPods have had some problems with scratches, does anyone think that a touchscreen iPod might be a bad idea? Especially on the iPhone.

My iPod is an older one -- 40gb (right before they switched from b/w to color). Maybe the newer ones have tougher screens that don't scratch as easily? The one I have requires a case if you want to be able to keep it from being scratched, and a case seems like it would be really obnoxious on a touchscreen iPhone. Fingerprints all over my widescreen display? Not what I'm looking forward to.

Visnaut
Senior User
Apr 8, 2007, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post
The iPhone is the 6G iPod.
Uh-huh. So they're going to discontinue the iPod line as soon as the iPhone comes out, huh? And force you to buy a 2-year AT&T contract for the pleasure of carrying your MP3s around. Right.

Not to mention the fact that they'd be replacing 30 Gb and 80 Gb models with 4 Gb and 8 Gb, respectively.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2007, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
Uh-huh. So they're going to discontinue the iPod line as soon as the iPhone comes out, huh? And force you to buy a 2-year AT&T contract for the pleasure of carrying your MP3s around. Right.

Not to mention the fact that they'd be replacing 30 Gb and 80 Gb models with 4 Gb and 8 Gb, respectively.
Flawless Microsoft logic

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2007, 11:33 PM

I probably wouldn't. I bought my 5.5G 80GB in January because I figured that the 5.5G upgrade was a solid one over the original 5G iPods. I also thought, well it'll probably be a while until they're upgraded again and I REALLy like this gen. So, I went for it.

And I've been very happy.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

ebrunn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2007, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post

yeah, its the 4 and 8 gb 6G iPod. Sorry its not for you. Im sure they will make one in time. But its not gonna be anytime soon.

Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2007, 06:40 AM

I'm in the market for a new iPod right now. I'd love a wide-screen video one, but right now I'd settle for a 5.75 generation model, with say a 100-120Gb drive.

Anyone have any clue if the 5.5G version will be revised before July because I'd like to get it before my holiday!

Ta,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

PBG4 User
Senior User
Apr 9, 2007, 08:03 AM

As other people have said, I'd like an iPod that has the functionality of the iPhone, minus the phone piece and adding an 80GB or larger hard drive. I've had my 20GB iPod since 2002 and it works great, but my music collection is triple the size of my iPod so I have to decide what to delete if I want to swap music onto it and that's a pain in the rear.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

mthomes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2007, 10:56 AM

Wide screen with multi-touch. I can see great new options for games on the iPod then. Games are pretty limited now based on the click wheel.

I also want it to be able to have front row-ish features when connected to my TV. This means when it's docked to my TV. I should be able to fully navigate my iPod through a TV interface. That feature alone would probably make me buy another one. It bugs me that this isn't a feature already. I can Play, Pause, FFW, RW, Skip, and control volume, but not choose another song/album. The TV out is there the graphics power is there. Why not?

ramcosca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2007, 12:21 PM

Multi-touch on an iPod? I find no use there. I'd settle for touchscreen.

paulc
Apr 9, 2007, 12:26 PM

Actually, what I'd like is for them to really, really fix the bugs in my 80G 5.5G model (it will never show an OK to Disconnect, and the 1.2.1 firmware makes empty smart playlists ALL get listed on the Pod).

Beyond that, with the same form factor size, 100 or 120G drives. More internal memory so one can go at least 1/2 hour on flash memory.

Oh, and replace the black plastic housing with a black metal brushed aluminum one.

This is eminently doable but I seriously doubt they'd even consider it, so I'll stick w/my present unit!

Visnaut
Senior User
Apr 9, 2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ramcosca View Post
Multi-touch on an iPod? I find no use there. I'd settle for touchscreen.
Unless it had the same photo viewing capabilities as the iPhone. But I'd settle for touchscreen as well.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2007, 12:34 PM

I like that cool iPhone scrolling action, but I don't plan on buying 6G--even if it has that feature.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2007, 10:36 AM

The last thing I'd want is an all-touch screen. Can't use it with gloves on (or without looking at the screen, e.g. if the iPod's in your pocket), and it appears that the iPhone interface has done away with the scroll wheel, which is the number-one best feature of the iPod.

Also - give me my remote control port back. I don't want to have to buy new accessories to replace the ones I have, just because Apple decided to drop that little slot next to the headphone jack.

A little OT, but I found my original Apple Store receipt from my 60GB iPod Photo. It was $450 when I got it! Times certainly have changed...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2007, 11:05 AM

I like the idea of the aluminum casing. I like the casing on the current iPods but the maintainence on them to keep them free of scratches is a bit of a pain. Some sort of aluminum casing like the current Nanos, color options (more than black and white) widescreen, touchscreen, bigger screen, wi-fi, thinner, and I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. It's asking a lot, I know.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

thechidz
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2007, 12:49 AM

I, like most, will probably buy the 8 gig model when it comes out, but would really love to see 30+ gigs with 6 hours of video playback time. I mean, what if you need to make a long phone call AFTER you watch a movie and you have no battery left? It makes sense to add more HD space and battery life on a unit like this. That will be most essential for something with so many features. Whats the use of having the convenience of carrying around everything in a small package if it only lasts an hour? And keep the camera, I dont care about low quality pics, use that space for a bigger HD. Still, it is SO cool

david8776
Banned
Apr 12, 2007, 10:20 PM

6g iPod is the full screen iPod or iPhone? Is it just a rumour??

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee View Post
probably not . i have a 5g video ipod and I barely use it for video . . . i guess it's convenient only some times when i'm stuck somewhere and I want to catch up on my video podcasts
That's because the screen of the current video iPod is useless for video. If the iPod had a screen the size and quality of the PSP's, I would purchase the 6g iPod as immediately as I could get my hands on one.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2007, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by david8776 View Post
6g iPod is the full screen iPod or iPhone? Is it just a rumour??
iPhone is an addition to the iPod line; much like the Mini, Nano, and Shuffle were. It is not a replacement of the iPod. If it is, Apple is left with only low-end and high-end models; throwing away the mid-range, $200-$500 market.

Not everyone wants a low-capacity (less than 10gig) iPhoe or a high-end/expensive to use iPhone.

There will be a 6G iPod that is not the iPhone. My money's on it coming out this year, given how long the 5G has been around.

Forum Links
Forum Rules