Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Projector Formats

Projector Formats
littlevish
Jun 9, 2007, 02:47 PM

My dad is going to be doing a presentation in about a month or so, and he wants to use my macbook and keynote.

I know we'll need to buy a cable to hook it up, since Apple uses the mini-dvi, but what is the standard format for projectors (if there is one)? I was thinking DVI but I couldn't find this anywhere on the web.

hojo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by littlevish View Post
My dad is going to be doing a presentation in about a month or so, and he wants to use my macbook and keynote.

I know we'll need to buy a cable to hook it up, since Apple uses the mini-dvi, but what is the standard format for projectors (if there is one)? I was thinking DVI but I couldn't find this anywhere on the web.
It will either be DVI or VGA, or both, or DVI with a VGA adapter.

littlevish  (op)
Jun 9, 2007, 03:24 PM

Apple offers both of those cables, so I"ll be safe if I just buy both?

hojo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2007, 04:49 PM

Most projectors have DVI on their back panel, and the connector cable is DVI to the projector -- VGA on the computer end. If it's going to your MacBook, you'll most likely need a VGA male to miniDVI adapter.

It would help to know what projector is being used. Those cables aren't cheap.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2007, 02:56 AM

Which makes me think Apple was a little premature in getting rid of VGA output.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 12:45 PM

Depends on how new the projector is. In many places (nonprofits, schools, govt agencies) they still have only VGA or S-video inputs.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2007, 01:04 PM

I have yet to encounter a projector that has DVI. The top end ones may be, but the ones in the non-profit world are all VGA only.

hojo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I have yet to encounter a projector that has DVI. The top end ones may be, but the ones in the non-profit world are all VGA only.
I haven't seen a non-DVI input projector in years. I don't know what you consider top-end, but we just bought an IN34 for <$1000 and it has DVI/1080I. I consider that $1000 range to be the middle of the market. Yes, we are non-profit.

littlevish  (op)
Jun 11, 2007, 02:04 PM

I took a look at the projectors at Office Depot, and I didn't see any with DVI. They almost all had VGA.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by hojo View Post
I haven't seen a non-DVI input projector in years. I don't know what you consider top-end, but we just bought an IN34 for <$1000 and it has DVI/1080I. I consider that $1000 range to be the middle of the market. Yes, we are non-profit.
You know what, it's possible that they have a dvi input, but I'd never know, because everyone uses vga. The ones that are stuck to the ceiling have remote vga cables, because everyone in the world except macs have vga outputs....

hojo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2007, 02:14 PM

You know what, it's possible that they have a dvi input, but I'd never know, because everyone uses vga. The ones that are stuck to the ceiling have remote vga cables, because everyone in the world except macs have vga outputs....
That's true. The cables that come with those projectors are DVI on the projector end and VGA on the computer end. The projector your dad is going to use certainly has a cable, and it's likely to be VGA on the computer end, so you will need either a mini-DVI to DVD cable, or a VGA-mini DVI adapter for your Mac.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2007, 04:15 PM

VGA has been and continues to be the standard for projectors.

A quick check at Newegg shows only 1 ($1650) business projector with DVI compared to 139 ($480-7100) with VGA.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2007, 04:49 PM

Which makes me think Apple was a little premature in getting rid of VGA output.

ibook_steve
Jun 11, 2007, 10:35 PM

Wow. First of all, Apple never got rid of VGA. VGA is simply a standard for analog RGB signaling and it is part of the DVI standard with DVI-I connectors as well as the mini-DVI connector. Second, I have a new, relatively cheap InFocus IN72 (normally about $800, got at Woot for $400) that has VGA and DVI (though using InFocus's weird M1 connector that requires an adaptor from them). I don't know what Office Depot is selling, or if people don't know what a DVI connector looks like, but both VGA and DVI are on most projectors these days.

Chances are that if this projector has been used by anybody, they have the VGA or DVI cable already, and all the OP needs is the Apple adapter.

Steve

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2007, 10:42 PM

Right. By VGA, I meant the VGA out connectors that are standard for projectors. It's fine if you can choose the cable, but when I take my powerbook to any organization, the input is ALWAYS a vga input, and the machine is usually on the ceiling. Which means that any PC laptop plugs straight in,and I have to carry an adaptor with me. But you already knew that, I'm thinking?

ibook_steve
Jun 12, 2007, 01:59 AM

Why such a big deal about needing an adapter?

Steve

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Why such a big deal about needing an adapter?

Steve
It's fine when it's plugged into the monitor on my desk, but when I leave to go visit a client, and want to make a presentation, and happen not to have thought to bring the adaptor, or not thought I would need to use a projector, I look like an idiot for having the only laptop anyone has seen that is not compatible with every projector they have ever seen.
It would be like getting rid of usb, and only having firewire, but selling adaptors. Just a PITA.
Plus, it contributes to the myth that Macs are 'not compatible'.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 11:38 AM

It's fine when it's plugged into the monitor on my desk, but when I leave to go visit a client, and want to make a presentation, and happen not to have thought to bring the adaptor, or not thought I would need to use a projector, I look like an idiot for having the only laptop anyone has seen that is not compatible with every projector they have ever seen.
It would be like getting rid of usb, and only having firewire, but selling adaptors. Just a PITA.
Plus, it contributes to the myth that Macs are 'not compatible'.
I think Apple made the right decision, given the limited space available. It would not have been possible to include both VGA and DVI outputs, so they went with the option that was more future-proof. Personally, I have my MacBook hooked up to a (DVI) external monitor about 90% of the time, and connected to a (VGA) projector about 10% of the time. I'd have been complaining if Apple had only included VGA out.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2007, 01:58 PM

Sure, looks like it works for you, but eliminating the adaptor that is standard for most of the world in hooking up to external display devices seems a little premature to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules