Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple offers four Lightning adapters for cameras, displays

Apple offers four Lightning adapters for cameras, displays
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 23, 2012, 11:44 AM

Four new Lightning cables have been announced by Apple at their press event. The new adapters connect to the Lightning port found on the iPhone 5, iPad, and iPad mini, allowing the handhelds to interact with non-Lightning equipment, such as digital cameras and displays. These new cables join existing converters, such as the Lightning to 30-pin adapters.

One cable will connect to USB camera adapters, while another will read SD cards inserted into it. The Lightning to VGA Adapter will allow the iOS devices to connect to older displays and most projectors, and a Lightning to Digital AV Adapter will offer a HDMI port for connection to HD televisions and modern computer displays. Both display adapters are $50 each and have a two to three-week wait time for dispatch. The camera-related adapters will cost $30.

Zanziboy
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2012, 12:14 PM

I wonder if Apple decided to keep the iPad 2 around to ensure people who have a specific need for the 30-pin port still have access to iPads that support the old connector.

reciprocity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2012, 12:40 PM

Will the camera adapters work with the iPhone 5?

davesmall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2012, 02:58 PM

I don't see why anyone would buy an HDMI adapter for $50 when they can purchase an AppleTV for $100. They can then use Airplay to send screen contents to an HDTV. A whole lot more bang for the buck than that cable.

The Vicar
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2012, 03:14 PM

Any word yet as to whether the USB camera connection cable will support USB keyboards, like the 30-pin one did?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2012, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by davesmall View Post
I don't see why anyone would buy an HDMI adapter for $50 when they can purchase an AppleTV for $100. They can then use Airplay to send screen contents to an HDTV. A whole lot more bang for the buck than that cable.
I have an AppleTV at work that I use exclusively as a video adapter for my iPhone and iPad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules