Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Password Security Control Panel

Password Security Control Panel
iRob70
Apr 6, 2000, 10:33 PM

I have a new pismo firewire powerbook. I understand that to use password security for my powerbook I need to open up the Password security control panel.......well, I seem to be missing that. So I went to the Help Viewer and the instructions again.....were to open the control panel. I clicked the link in the help viewer to do this for me automatically thinking i might have just over looked the panel. I got a message that the item was either disabled or not loaded. Looked in control panels disabled.....not there either. anyone have a clue what im doing wrong or maybe where i can get this item? BTW, i am running system 9.0.2 thanks guys....

Muahdib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2000, 01:30 AM

The new Firewire Powerbooks do not have this control panel. DO NOT put it on your Powerbook. People have reported that it has completely fubar'd their powerbook. Many have had to send it in to get it repaired. It basically renders your hard drive unbootable.

[This message has been edited by Muahdib (edited 04-07-2000).]

Muahdib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2000, 01:33 AM

This is speaking from second knowledge, but I'm pretty sure I ready this somewhere. Probably on this board

[This message has been edited by Muahdib (edited 04-07-2000).]

iRob70
Apr 7, 2000, 01:40 AM

hey, thanks for the info.

any ideas on another form of avoiding wondering eyes of others?

Muahdib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2000, 01:44 AM

Well you could use the Multiple User function of Mac OS 9. Just setup your own user and give it a password. Then when you put your computer to sleep be sure to log out and it should be protected. I realize this is probably not the best solution but it's the only one I know. I don't have to worry about it so I've never really thought about it. Anyone else know a better solution?

Forum Links
Forum Rules