Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Warning to Opera Users...

Warning to Opera Users...
itim55
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2001, 02:49 PM

Opera has a greedy cache system! After 6 months of using it, I had accumulated 5.6 million cached files that consumed 350 MB of HD space. When I tried to delete them using the trash, my comp crashed because it could not handle the files. I had to delete them immediately by trashing Netscape's cache and then dragging the Opera cache folder to the trash at the same time. It presented the "delete immediately?" dialog box, so I pressed OK and the hour-long process ensued. I got my space back, plus I figured out why my comp crashed during a desktop rebuild, it couldn't handle all the files.
I know, I know, I'm just a rabid fan.

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2001, 03:40 PM

If you use products like i clean you can keep cluter to a minimum.
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...st-7-1.6415945

Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

caifara
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2001, 05:10 PM

I also use Opera, could that huge amount of cache be the reason for a slow start up and exit period? (I experience that it takes longer to start up or exit opera each time I use it)

-c
-c

wANCO tHE sANE
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2001, 07:18 PM

I guess that's how opera is "the fastest browser on earht" because of the huge cache...

I put a V-TECH sticker on my iMac DV 400 and i'm burnin' Geo Metro's left and right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules