Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Dual-install of PB and DP4 for development

Dual-install of PB and DP4 for development
udecker
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2000, 07:09 PM

I was beginning to wonder if it might be a good idea to throw the DP4 install onto another partition and running the development tools there for the time being.

Is anyone else here running in a dual-boot fashion with DP4 and PB? If so, are there any difficulties.

The reason I'd want to do this is that I keep hearing that the development tools from DP4 aren't stable or are incomplete.

Since there are currently WORKING apps on PB, I would assume for the most part that they were developed on DP4?

Thanks!
-uD

iBeige
Sep 21, 2000, 01:51 AM

Great idea! I'm trying to get my hands on a DP4 so I can get the dev tools out of it. Shouldn't be a problem - you can use the System Disk prefs panel to switch between volumes, or even just option key on startup, although all you will see are two identical "X'" icons. There are open firmware commands, if you really want them, I'll figure them out for ya.

Dan

udecker  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2000, 02:34 AM

Excellent. I've been looking for a good tutuorial on openFirmware commands - can't seem to find any ANYWHERE.

Here's the worry - that doing the install of DP4 will install an older version of the Boot ROM into OpenFirmware? (does OF remember these things?)

I certainly don't want my OS X P going crazy when I install DP4... I may want to install it on a separate machine and then bring that drive back to this one. It's probably worth a try, no?

Also - I had hella problems getting back my old openFirmware when switching back to OS 8/9 from DP2, 3, etc... I forever had to boot with the option key down. I don't want that craziness to return.

Any comments would be appreciated.

-uD
[email protected]

MacOS761
Senior User
Sep 21, 2000, 12:37 PM

The setup you described should be fine as long as your OS X partitions are on the master drive. I had DP4 installed on a partition of a slave drive, and I could boot to it, but it would "break" if I booted back to OS 9. I think I read that Beta has similar problems with slave drives(?). I will find out soon enough! Good luck!

------------------
We're supposed to sing about piraty things!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

jeffrone
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2000, 11:38 PM

It should work as long as they are on seperate drives.

Apple recommends using OS X PB Developer Tools as fallows: having 2 partitons, one for developing with OS X PB with the Dev Tools installed an another seperate OS X PB for testing an implementing.

I took that as, installing the Dev tools from OS X PB onto my DP4 partition, and then installing OS X PB seperate. Which should work.

jeff

BrH
Sep 22, 2000, 06:42 PM

According to this post from the OmniGroup MacOS X Dev list, you might be able to install the DP4 tools into Beta as follows:
---------------------------------------------
Hello, fellows!

For those of you impatient enought to risk a public beta reinstall here
some findings:

I was able to compile and test my project doing the following on public
beta:

1. Find and open the Developer.pkg from the DP4 CD and install. It is
somewhere in /System/Install...
2. Copy the EOControl.framework folder from
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ to /System/Library/Frameworks/. I
didn't dare to move it.
3. Run PBX or make/vi from the commandline. PBWO does not work.

Problems might arise due to the different file system layout. I needed
to change a lot of install and framework include paths. Apart from that,
my (non-gui ObjC) project ran fine.

I haven't tested anything besides these tools. Just wanted to let you
know...
---------------------------------------------
As always, YMMV.

Forum Links
Forum Rules