Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Multibutton mice

Multibutton mice
cdaveb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2000, 07:23 PM

Is there a way to get multibutton mice to work under OS X Beta? I have a Logitech Trackman Wireless. The main button works great, but I can't seem to take advantage of the other buttons, and of course there's no Logitech driver yet. Is there any way to get the other buttons working?

JSD303
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2000, 07:36 PM

I have tried the USB MS Intellimouse Optical with 4 buttons and scroll-wheel... The second button works fine as control-click right off the bat. The scroll-wheel doesn't work in IE or any browser - but does work in Mail (comes with OSX.) The other two buttons are useless at this point. My guess is that some multi-button mice will work correctly, and some won't (I'm going out on a huge limb here...::grin:: )

Sorry that this doesn't really help you for now, but perhaps this will be fixed by Logitech or a bored programmer. It obviously works in Linux, Mac, Win, etc... it might not get additional support under Mouse in the System Prefs menu, but it's only a question of time before some fix is out.

[This message has been edited by JSD303 (edited 09-19-2000).]

BarakTheCat
Sep 19, 2000, 09:17 PM

Hey, my old Kensington Thinking Mouse (4+2 Button ADB) also has a working second mouse button! It works in IE 5.5 and in the finder (haven't tried other apps yet), but not in OmniWeb (even control clicking doesn't seem to work in OmniWeb).

Man, this system is sooooo close, come on Apple and listen to us, you're almost there!

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2000, 09:29 PM

Ditto, my kensington turbo mouse (trackball anyhow) has a context menu by default... strange...

bluedog
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2000, 09:42 PM

I too have a Trackman Wireless 3 button mouse. I thought the buttons didn't work either.

Is it an ADB model? What machine are you installed on?

I have it on a 7600 w/G3 400mHz upgrade and my wireless mouse just doesn't follow the standard setup I'm used to.

If you have a three button mouse, try your middle button. I rarely used it in OS 9, but it functions and the control-click (right-click) under the OS X beta! Try it and see if you get similar results.

cdaveb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2000, 09:49 PM

I have a USB Logitech Trackman Wireless. It's on a Bronze G3 Powerbook (the SCSI one). I'll try the middle button and see if it does anything.

cdaveb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2000, 02:12 AM

I tried it again and now the left and right buttons seem to work, but the middle button doesn't do anything. Also, under MacOS only the left button works, but I guess that's because Mouseware isn't loading properly- perhaps I'll try USB Overdrive instead. At least FinderPop still works in MacOS.

Will there be contextual menu extensions for OS X? Is there a way to make your own?

iBeige
Sep 20, 2000, 04:24 AM

As companies bring USB functionality to X, you'll see USB overdrive and other drivers take shape. I have a logitech optical 3 button/wheel mouse, and the wheel works in SOME X apps, such as OmniWeb, Text, Mail, the Installer, but interestingly enough not in Desktop or other apps. The third button is Contextual menu's system-wide.

Dan

graphixmaker
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2000, 06:10 AM

From what I understand, multibutton mice are fully supported by the OS, but only so far as to only work in cocoa apps - not carbon. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim

billy!
Sep 20, 2000, 06:19 AM

billy find dead mouse in underwear. billy eat dead mouse. mouse taste bad. billy cry. os x need tasty mouse or billy downgrade to 9.0.4

Misha
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2000, 11:02 AM

mishamisha 182 (9:59 AM): I think readers will accept it... I mean, a few typos in exchange for the first stories in 3 weeks...

Forum Links
Forum Rules