Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hey I'm taking a pole here...(please post)

Hey I'm taking a pole here...(please post)
onearm26
Banned
Feb 28, 1999, 04:50 PM

Hey could you all out there with iMac's please post your G3's running temperature. I'd preffer rev/B models only because thats what I have but I want rev/A and rev/C aswell. Just post the average temp or the range it usually shows.

If you don't know and would like to, you can download SpeedMeter 1.3 from the following http://www.powerlogix.com

Goku
Feb 28, 1999, 05:37 PM

When I first got SpeedMeter 1.3. I noticed that after useing my computer the temp. went from 98 to 138 in a matter of 10 mins. Has of write now it's running at 116 but that's still not room temp. I have a rev.A

Patrick
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 1999, 06:49 PM

I'd bet rev A and B run at the same temperatures, since they both have the same processor speed. Anyway, I have a rev A model running at 140�F (I'm too lazy to download SpeedMeter, but I am using G3Strip, which gives temperature readings).

Muahdib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 1999, 01:07 AM

I have a Rev. B and it is running at 133 degrees Fahrenheit right now.

Muahdib

Goku
Mar 1, 1999, 02:25 AM

I have both G3Strip and speedmeter and they both give diffrent temp. readings.

I asked one of my friends that fixs macs for a living and he says it should be running at room temp.

(If that's true then I better get some shorts on or turn down the heat ;-)

fastfred
Mar 16, 1999, 01:29 AM

Well I have a Blueberry, and it runs warm.
I also have a Mac II it runs warm. I keep
them both running and it saves on the heating bills. I Put a small wire basket above my iMac and it keeps my coffee and bagels hot.
.....always thing creatively.

gyoung1
Mar 17, 1999, 02:24 AM

My REV B iMac runs at 123�F and MAXES out at 131�F(After lots of cpu tasks).. not TOO hot...

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 1999, 03:47 PM

I have a rev A iMac overclocked to 266 and it never goes over 131F. so I usally just stick to warming a small cup of java. anything more may be pushing it.

I was thinking of overclocking to 300 so I could hook a plastic bag to the top and make it hoover above the desk.

fastfred
Mar 27, 1999, 01:14 AM

That's it, be the first to fly an
IMac
by hot air balloon
around the world!!

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 1999, 07:36 PM

I have an iMac Rev. B and the Microconversions Voodoo2 board and after being on for six hours the temp is now 116� F
--Laurence

krabat
Mar 9, 2000, 01:46 PM

anybody have solering experience to share - clock chipping an iMac rev/B - I have the visulat instructions, but minimal experience with low wattage soldering. How do I take precautions to not overheat the board while soldering?

krabat

------------------
your body is water, your mind at sea
your body is water, your mind at sea

Kozmik
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2000, 01:48 PM

My iMac DV SE's CPU temperature's average (taken from readings from Newer Technology's GaugePRO) is 113 degrees F.
<A HREF="http://www.macnet2.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi" TARGET=_blank>
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

James Z
Mar 9, 2000, 02:09 PM

Mine used to be at 138 all the time. Now I have a fan that blows cool air into the iMac, and it runs between 100 and 131, depending on tasks and wheter or not I use the VooDoo II.

I have a Rev. A.

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2000, 05:27 PM

iMac RevB clocked to 300Mhz with cache at 2:1 (Powerlogix Cache Controller) never gets hotter than 118F (Guage PRO), it generally runs between 98F-102F. I've been told that Apple may have originally put in a 266 (rated) cpu(but clocked at 233), as it was bought after the Candy-Colours came out ie: it was one of the last Bondi-Blues manufactured (in Ireland rather than USA, Mexico or Taiwan).

P.S. I'm in a part of the world that's probably colder (and damper) on average than most of USA.

[This message has been edited by Feathers (edited 03-10-2000).]

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2000, 05:59 PM

Feathers- you can check your CPU speed easy... Apple System Profiler

PS: i took a Pole once, to dinner, but i could not pay the Czech because i forgot my wallet. how embarrassing.

rav
Mar 9, 2000, 07:42 PM

rev.a here, its typical for me to see it at and around 140�F. right now its 147� and its never gone over this temp. i've run it for 2 days at a time and its always been around that temp. i'm in puerto rico so that really doesn't concern me much.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 9, 2000, 09:15 PM

My Rev. B runs at 131F according to Guage Pro. It's been running for two weeks straight. The only time I have shut it down was to install iMAXpowr. Before that, it ran for a good 7 months with nothing more than a restart. Temp has never been over 135. Oh, by the way, is it bad for my machine to leave it running all the time? Just curious.
Nemo me impune lacesset

keyser_soze
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2000, 09:42 PM

By gaugePro, my rev A always runs at 138�
if it's been on for more than half an hour. Glad someone did this pole, i always wondered if that was high.

Ok posters time to let them have it. MacNN Staff It's our duty to let MacNN know we hate intelliTXT!

frantic8
Mar 10, 2000, 02:00 AM

its ok to keep your iMac DE on all the time, i mean it says so in the help section.

Well im getting temp.s of 116 right now, for all of you getting really high temp.s while not doing much, update to gaugePRO because it displays the right temperature not speedmeter
im not sure why.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 10, 2000, 03:45 PM

I hate to split hairs here, but can we stop calling this a 'pole'? That is something you climb, vault off of, run telephone lines on, or as wlonh very nicely pointed out, someone from Poland. I think the correct term would be 'poll'. Sorry, I teach English. I guess it's just habbit....
Nemo me impune lacesset

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2000, 04:38 PM

Hi,

My Rev C runs around 112F.

The CPU temp is not supposed to be room temp. The heat you feel out of the top is mostly from the monitor.

Scott H.

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2000, 04:54 PM

Hey ThinkInsane!

Habit is spelt with ONE "B" (2B is a type of pencil).

B+ Must do better!!!

Also, it is reported that the last resort of an overheating (A-D) iMac is to pop open the CD tray. If you close it, it will then pop open again. Sort of like sticking it's tongue out!!!

[This message has been edited by Feathers (edited 03-10-2000).]

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2000, 05:51 AM

OK Feathers, you got me there. I take it all back lol. Just don't tell my students. They are a bunch of savages and would eat me alive.... It was bad enough that when I registered, I spelled "Insane" with an extra 's'. Woulda been a full member already if I could deal with looking at that glaring type-o forever.
Nemo me impune lacesset

chicken_tastes_good
Mar 11, 2000, 02:44 PM

revA at 131�F... (not overclocked and with no iMaxPower... - still "crawling" at 233)
The empty can rattles the loudest

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 11, 2000, 11:01 PM

According to Gauge PRO, my 233 MHz Bondi Blue Rev. B is running a 41C/105F. It's been on about a hour and a half and I've been watching pro-TV most of that time. Oh, now it's at 109F. I've never seen it go above 111F or so.

Val

Ca$h68
Banned
Mar 13, 2000, 03:13 AM

How hot can these things get "SAFELY"??? Right now I'm running at 131 degrees F, but when I bump up the L2 Cache with that Cache control panel it gets around 140s... how hot is too hot? I'm going to mod my puter a little bit, so I want to know what range I should aim for, and what temp I DEFINATLY need to keep it under.
Ca$h

-=�ISC=-
Mar 14, 2000, 12:23 AM

My iMac (rev C) run around 89-95 degrees according to guage pro. Is it just me, or does this seem alot lower than all of the others?

anywaiz, i never see it go much higher unless im playing quake 3, then seems to be around 100. i run my cache at 2:1, seems cool enuf. Must be the Copper G3, better cool-factor

chopbert
Mar 16, 2000, 02:37 AM

My 400 MHz DV runs at about 140 degrees Farenheit but then again I'm living in the tropics.

Ca$h68
Banned
Mar 16, 2000, 03:45 AM

Mine is running around 130-140 too! CAN SOMEOBODY ANSWER MY QUESTION?!?!??! HOW HOT CAN WE GO WITHOUT HURTING ANYTHING?!??!??!?!? I checked apples website, but they dont have any info...hmmm....

Ca$h

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2000, 09:18 AM

Seeing as you're not supposed to be messing with the internals of the iMac (against the warranty, etc.) it's not surprising that Apple doesn't post how hot you can run them. Anything within 10% of stock running temp. should be ok, though... that's what normal environmental conditions can do to affect temperature.

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2000, 02:42 PM

Where is the information on the CPU temperature...the system profiler maybe?

Ca$h68
Banned
Mar 16, 2000, 02:45 PM

So that means..... nothing. HOW HOT CAN I RUN IT SAFELY???

Ca$h

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2000, 03:44 PM

deportment:
n. A manner of personal conduct; behavior.

stop stomping your feet like a child and MAYBE someone will answer you

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2000, 04:49 PM

Cash, maybe it would be more beneficial to tell us how you're going to modify your iMac, then others who might have done what you're doing already can tell you how hot it will run.

Since I don't really think that you're the engineering type who will take a Voodoo 5 and solder it onto the iMac's motherboard, I'd assume that you're planning on doing one of two things: sticking a 7200 RPM drive in the iMac or overclocking it. If you're overclocking, the iMac will crash before it runs hot enough to do any damage (unless you set it to 1 GHz "just for fun").

Or do you have something else in mind?

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2000, 04:51 PM

MAlan, Gauge Pro will tell you warm your iMac is running (among other things):
http://www.newertech.com/software/gauges/index.html

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2000, 08:09 PM

ThinkInsane - My lips are sealed!!!

According to Motorola's site the max operating temp of the G3/G4 is +85 Celcius that's 185F, although other things might have melted by then. I wouldn't really want to test that one, but it is the same junction temp that Guage Pro measures, so who knows!!!

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2000, 11:26 PM

Misha...thanx for the software tip.

-mike

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2000, 09:26 PM

Just thought I'd revive this one a bit in response to some more recent posts about over-clocking.

[This message has been edited by Feathers (edited 03-28-2000).]

imacman11
Mar 29, 2000, 12:27 AM

Well, My original Rev. A bondi blue consistantly runs at 31C/87F. Of course, It might have something to do with the fan that I rigged on the top vents to suck out the air...also, I put in the iMaxpwr and it still runs that cool...

------------------
Thou shalt go forth and spread the iWord.

Ca$h68
Banned
Mar 29, 2000, 05:49 PM

How did you rig a fan??? Have any pics??

Ca$h

ericdelangen
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2000, 06:45 PM

that's a good question... how did you rig a fan? And while we're kind of on the subject... where can you get info on overclocking an iMac? I've got a rev. A, but don't want to pay for the upgrade from Newer.

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2000, 02:14 PM

bluesea
Apr 1, 2000, 11:50 PM

Rev. B
192 MB
Voodoo 2
7200 rpm Maxtor

GaugePro is usually pegged at 116F. Half an hour or more on the Voodoo takes it up a few, but it goes right back down within 15 sec.

Forum Links
Forum Rules