Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Imac MacOS problems

Imac MacOS problems
rob
Apr 16, 1999, 03:11 AM

I got hold of a Rev.B iMac about a month ago and upgraded it to 96Mb of Ram. Every few days I get an Illegal instruction or an address error when MacOS is booting up, with or without extensions disabled. I've tried dumping the preferences and zapping PRAM but the only way to resolve the problem is to re-install MacOS.
Anyone else had this problem and managed to resolve it?

Regards,

Rob.
Whenever I try

Muahdib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 1999, 12:52 PM

I have had the same problem. I have seen responses range from all over on how to fix this problem. One thing that I noticed is if you start your iMac with the System software CD in your iMac it will start up with out a hitch. At least this works for me. I don't mean starting from the CD, just have it in the CD-ROM player when you start up your computer and you won't get the error. The closest I have come to understanding the problem is that the computer is trying to access some data necessary to start up from off of the CD and when it can't find it, it gives you the error. Here is what I do.

1. First I restart my computer with the System CD in the computer.

2. After it is finished starting up, I remove the CD.

3. I then go to the Startup Disk control panel and reselect my Hard Drive as the startup disk.

4. Finally I restart my computer and it seems to solve the problem.

This solves the problem for me. The problem will pop up occasionally. I don't know what causes it, but try this and see if it works. Let me know if this helps.

Muahdib

[This message has been edited by Muahdib (edited 04-16-99).]

[This message has been edited by Muahdib (edited 04-16-99).]

iMacMan
Apr 17, 1999, 12:06 PM

Ever try updating your firmware????

http://http.info.apple.com/ftp/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Soft ware_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/iMac/

------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

''To Start Press Any Key''. Where's the ANY key? I see Esk, Catarl , and Pig-Up. There doesn't seem to be any ANY key. Woo! All this computer hacking is making me thirsty. I think I'll order a TAB.

-Homer J. Simpson

david2
Apr 24, 1999, 09:51 AM

I am setting up 15 new 333mz imacs in a school. It takes some time do to all of the custom configuring before they go out. Of the six completed so far, 4 have had no problems, but the 2 strawberry units have had the same exact problem, very similar to what is described at the beginning of this thread. I was toying with the second strawberry unit and noticed that if I removed the MRJ libraries from the extensions folder things worked fine. I tried reinstalling, crash on startup. Removed, everything worked. Tried with both MRJ off installer, and MRJ 2.1.1 download. Am thinking of wiping the disk of one of the two and reinstalling to see what happens.

david2
Apr 26, 1999, 06:26 PM

Back to the imacs today. The fix by replacing MRJ 2.1.1 with a fresh build only lasted through a couple more software installations, then back to the address error on startup. This time I started up from the installer CD and did the following. Threw out the MRJ libraries, the text encoding converter extension, and Mac OSRuntime for Java. Next I copied and replaced the "finder" and the "Mac OS Rom". Next I reinstalled MRJ 2.1.1. I restarted and both strawberry imacs now appear to be stable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules