Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Difference between 2002 iPods and original? (Sound-wise)

Difference between 2002 iPods and original? (Sound-wise)
Miles Davis
Dec 16, 2002, 01:32 PM

After to listening to my just-purchased-off-ebay 5Gig iPod (the original scroll wheel), my father complained of the sound quality (not good enough for his sensitive ears). My question is if the new iPods have better sound. Apple mentions a 60mW amp, is that new or on the old ones as well.

thanks,
-m

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2002, 02:22 PM

I don't know if it's any different...but I suspect the headphones have something to do with it.
The new iPod have better earbuds than the original.
But third party phones are also getting good reviews. You might want to try that.

Here's a link to an iPodlounge thread.
http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/dennx/...num=1020859707

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2002, 03:53 PM

Note that of course it depends on the .mp3 quality. Make sure it's 160 Kbps or above.

Now, I have the new 10 gig, and the earphones are alright....but nothing special. The bass isn't good at all...you lose a lot of the lower frequencies in many songs (I listen mostly to rock, BTW). A lot of it has to do with the fact that they're so small, which of course makes it hard to put really extensive hardware in them. I'm not that knowledgeable about speaker brands, but I have some Sony headphones that run behind my neck, and they have a much higher-quality sound.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules