Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Samsung MP3 players any good?

Samsung MP3 players any good?
blindemboss
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2002, 11:16 AM

Anyone have any experience with Samsung MP3 players? I've been looking at the Yepp line and this one (YP-20T) looks rather good.
However, I'm wondering if the software works with iTunes or not.
thanks

http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...4-6753210.html

Wayde
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2002, 02:06 PM

It does not... I went thru 3 MP3 players before finding one that finally worked natively w/ iTunes in OSX - the Nike PSA Play. I really liked the size of the Yepp but it crashed everytime I loaded it...
I installed the software that came with the Nike PSA but didn't need it cuz when I plugged in the USB it automatically showed up in iTunes - I was SO happy.
BTW - I have the "older" version of the Nike - have not heard good things about the new versions (personally, I don't like the headphones nor the case on the new ones).

Vanquish
Dec 16, 2002, 02:20 PM

iPod...

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2002, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Vanquish:
iPod...
Of course, but I think there's room for a cheaper small solid state MP3 player for more rugged use like running or cross training.

Vanquish
Dec 16, 2002, 04:29 PM

By satchmo:
Of course, but I think there's room for a cheaper small solid state MP3 player for more rugged use like running or cross training.
for running ok, but for everyday use? The iPod is WAY better. Anyway, I would personally NEVER buy an MP3 player. MiniDisc all the way !

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2002, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by Vanquish:

for running ok, but for everyday use? The iPod is WAY better. Anyway, I would personally NEVER buy an MP3 player. MiniDisc all the way !
Wouldn't an iPod accomplish anything a MiniDisc player could do? And it isn't solid state technology so it's prone to skip.
I see and iPod as you've said an everyday use player coupled with a cheap Yepp or Nike PSA for heavy workouts.

Vanquish
Dec 17, 2002, 06:01 AM

By satchmo:
Wouldn't an iPod accomplish anything a MiniDisc player could do? And it isn't solid state technology so it's prone to skip.
I see and iPod as you've said an everyday use player coupled with a cheap Yepp or Nike PSA for heavy workouts.
No, MD has superior sound-quality ATRAC is *WAY* better then any other compression (and definately better then MP3), the players weigh nothing compared to an iPod and they all have shock protection, my MD *never* skips. Also when doing hard movements with an iPod you can damage the hard drive which is not the case with MD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules