Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone received their MacBook Pro yet?

Anyone received their MacBook Pro yet? (Page 22)
rewecow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2006, 05:24 PM

onlykaria - how did you end up getting a free laptop bag from apple?

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by rewecow
onlykaria - how did you end up getting a free laptop bag from apple?
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!
APLLE has charged my account!!!

anyway, i got the free bag by calling them a week ago and being like.... look dudes i am going to cancel my order...

first they offer a free shipping upgrade... i said: that's nice but whats two days when you have been waiting for a month. i didnt ask for anything else... i just said that i had heard really good things and was really excited about the product but the wait is too long... so they guy was like what if we give you a free backpack... and that was that.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2006, 11:02 PM

Just a heads up. I was on the wating list for 1.83s at the Apple store in chicago (Michigan Ave), well they called the have some in, but I don't need mine as I have a 2.0 already So if you live in the area head in and get one!

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2006, 11:15 PM

Well, heard back from Apple that my machine was not going to arrive before Mar 25 at the earliest. Alas, my PB17 AppleCare runs out Mar 24.

Called the Apple store, they had 2.0 models in stock. Picked one up, canceled the older order, and took in my revA PB17 for them to count stuck pixels for repair (over 14). Set up the replacement LCD order.

It took me less than an hour to transfer everything -- 65GB -- from one machine to another.

Fired this baby up -- all I can say is that in Mail, this machine flies! If you are like me, my office is my Mail application. Super fast.

Safari is pretty fast, it's still getting everything set up.

Word is usable, have not had a chance to really compare. But until the universal binary is released, this is more than good enough for an office app. The big question will be powerpoint's speed with my 80MB presentations full of movies. If that's a problem, I'll try Keynote for awhile.

If you have a 1GHz or slower G4, you will find these new Mac Book Pros just the ticket.

hmp
Mar 14, 2006, 03:23 AM

My MBP has been sitting in Anchorage for a day and a half now - is that normal? I remember some other people in this thread having similiar issues, but I wanted to see if anyone else was in the same shipment pool as me..

Originally Posted by SEkker
If you have a 1GHz or slower G4, you will find these new Mac Book Pros just the ticket.
Oh I'm looking forward to it - my 1ghz albook is definitely showing its age...

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2006, 03:33 AM

Roar!!! Mine is coming sometime later next week, but the countdown is ON! 7 whole days!

cambro
Senior User
Mar 14, 2006, 09:29 AM

1.83 CTO 120 GB Apple EDUstore
Ordered FEB 22
Shipped last night (March 13th)
Now in SHANGHAI

Finrock
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2006, 11:09 AM

Mine finally shipped as well. I ordered on January 13th, the original ship date was 2/24, then 3/6, then 3/14, which is when it shipped.

Now instead of refreshing the Apple Order Status page I get to refresh the FedEx tracking page. I like this game much better!

So this sure is a happy Pi day for me!

-Finrock
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

s1lentslayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 11:21 AM

Mine shipped as well It should be here by Friday.

Rumz
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by hmp
My MBP has been sitting in Anchorage for a day and a half now - is that normal? I remember some other people in this thread having similiar issues, but I wanted to see if anyone else was in the same shipment pool as me..

Oh I'm looking forward to it - my 1ghz albook is definitely showing its age...
Yeah it's just how often FedEx updates their tracking info. Mine shipped the 11th, indicated it had missed the cutoff and looked like it was gonna be in China all weekend, but Sunday night it said Anchorage. Then yesterday all day it said it was in Alaska when this morning it says it has arrived in Indianapolis and left indianapolis-- should be on it's way to me now (maybe by tomorrow).
MacBook Pro: 2.16ghz, 2GB, 100GB@7200RPM

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by cambro
1.83 CTO 120 GB Apple EDUstore
Ordered FEB 22
Shipped last night (March 13th)
Now in SHANGHAI
my has shipped as well!!

from online edu store....
1.83ghz
1gig ram
120gb hd
ordered fed 18th
Computers:

CincyGamer
Mar 14, 2006, 01:40 PM

got mine here in Cincy.. Ordered 2/14 from Apple.. its nice, so problems so far its quiet. I am at work so could only look at it 20 mins, but very very happy. The speed is amazing.. Teh Snappy is here!!

Rumz
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2006, 03:20 PM

Dang. Mine just his Memphis-- I'll see it tomorrow, if all goes well.

MacFairy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 03:20 PM

My MBP has shipped today atlast! My first ever mac and I have to say I have been converted! I shall definalty be looking into replacing my desktop computer aswell! Does anyone know if the crumpler Hymn will fit the MBP or know of any other good laptop cases which will fit? Any advice will be great!

Ordered online education store....
1.83ghz
1gig ram
120gb hd

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by MacFairy
My MBP has shipped today atlast! My first ever mac and I have to say I have been converted! I shall definalty be looking into replacing my desktop computer aswell! Does anyone know if the crumpler Hymn will fit the MBP or know of any other good laptop cases which will fit? Any advice will be great!

Ordered online education store....
1.83ghz
1gig ram
120gb hd
INCASE LARGE SLING PACK
thats the one i got for free... i REALLY like it. of course my MBP has not arrived yet so i have not tried it with a MBP inside but its great.

Featuring a unique cross-shoulder carrying style, the new Incase Sling Pack fits all PowerBook and iBook models. Now you can carry your laptop and a few essential extras around town without being weighed down.

Price: $59.95

Designed with reinforced protection and a cross-body shoulder strap, the Incase Sling Pack is a slimmed-down alternative to the backpack. Made to fit all PowerBook and iBook models, the Sling Pack also comes with ample storage space for accessories and other essentials. Enjoy your new favorite bag made especially for you by the people at Incase.

Features
Reinforced laptop protection
Comfortable ergonomic shoulder strap
Soft mesh interior with padding
Water-resistant 800 Denier nylon material
Exterior pockets for flat documents
Utility pocket inside for cards and small items
Soft-lined compartment for AC adapter and books
Pouch on strap for iPod or mobile phone
Fits MacBook Pro; 12-, 15-, and 17-inch PowerBook and 12- and 14-inch iBook
Computers:

CincyGamer
Mar 14, 2006, 03:54 PM

GOTCHA*** just got mine... there is a nasty GOTCHA!! You cannot start FrontRow manually by clicking on an icon in Applications or the Dock.. Supposedly you have to use the remote or by typing Ctrl-Click.. this is really bad design IMHO.. why hide one of the new apps? Also.. I will be starting up a new Mac Everquest char.. let me know if anybody wants to work together..

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2006, 05:12 PM

still waiting for my comp to ship. ordered on 2/15. est ship of the 16th.

MacFairy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=onlykaria]INCASE LARGE SLING PACK
thats the one i got for free... i REALLY like it. of course my MBP has not arrived yet so i have not tried it with a MBP inside but its great.

Featuring a unique cross-shoulder carrying style, the new Incase Sling Pack fits all PowerBook and iBook models. Now you can carry your laptop and a few essential extras around town without being weighed down.

Price: $59.95

Designed with reinforced protection and a cross-body shoulder strap, the Incase Sling Pack is a slimmed-down alternative to the backpack. Made to fit all PowerBook and iBook models, the Sling Pack also comes with ample storage space for accessories and other essentials. Enjoy your new favorite bag made especially for you by the people at Incase.

Features
Reinforced laptop protection
Comfortable ergonomic shoulder strap
Soft mesh interior with padding
Water-resistant 800 Denier nylon material
Exterior pockets for flat documents
Utility pocket inside for cards and small items
Soft-lined compartment for AC adapter and books
Pouch on strap for iPod or mobile phone
Fits MacBook Pro; 12-, 15-, and 17-inch PowerBook and 12- and 14-inch iBook[/QUOTE

Thanks for the advice, I'll defo look into that one!
Macbook Pro: 1.83Ghz, 120GB HD, 1GB ram
iPod: 30GB

loh
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2006, 07:52 PM

macbook pro received!

Order Date: 2/14
Estimated Shipping Date: 3/16
Estimated Delivery: 3/23
Real Shipping Date: 3/11
Real Delivery: 3/14
PowerMac Dual 867 - 1 GB Ram - Studio Display - 20 GB Ipod

hmp
Mar 14, 2006, 08:34 PM

I received mine today as well - a day before the March 15 delivery date on the FedEx tracking page (but almost a month after original estimated ship date).

As expected, it looks beautiful - one thing I noticed was that the lid of the display seems to close evenly - unlike my albook which is higher on the left side than the right.

It's charging right now - I'm afraid to turn it on for fear that it might have the whine

edit: Well, that sucks. The whine is there, and it's REALLY annoying.
( Last edited by hmp; Mar 14, 2006 at 08:43 PM. )

mac noob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 09:29 PM

I ordered mine about 12 February, estimated ship on or before 16 March. It shipped this past sunday though, 12 March, and will be here tomorrow 15 March. I'm really excited about my conversion, hah.

edit: If mine has the whine, i'm blaming you hmp; it's your fault.

MutePrint
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 11:08 PM

Okay, so from what it sounds like, Apple does not charge your credit card until your order actually ships, right? It's saying 2-3 weeks right now, so I really want to place my order this instant, but the money won't actually be in my account for about 5 days.

Is this risky? Assuming it somehow shipped in only 14 days, would my card in fact not be charged until the Macbook had left the factory?

Rumz
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by MutePrint
Okay, so from what it sounds like, Apple does not charge your credit card until your order actually ships, right? It's saying 2-3 weeks right now, so I really want to place my order this instant, but the money won't actually be in my account for about 5 days.

Is this risky? Assuming it somehow shipped in only 14 days, would my card in fact not be charged until the Macbook had left the factory?
Well when I asked them on the phone they said they would pre-authorize your card when you ordered but wouldn't actually charge you (ie funds aren't deducted) until the product ships. On my end, I could see no evidence of authorization-- they just charged once it shipped a month later.

On another note... mine has been DELIVERED. Ach, can't wait to run home a grab it.. a couple more hours...

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by MutePrint

they do not CHARGE your account until it ships (or sometimes a day before) BUT and this is a big BUT the request and hold the sum as soon as you place the order. indeed the request and hold a few dollars more than the sum of the order... so if you dont have the money your order may not be approved...
Computers:

Bbazzarrakk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2006, 12:19 PM

My MBP shipped this morning. I ordered on February 13th and had an original ship by date of March 14th. On February 19th I upgraded the processor and my ship by date slipped to March 21st. Seems they are almost a week ahead now.

My config is: 2.167 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM HD

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2006, 12:35 PM

WOE IS ME!!!

they made a delivery attempt this morning but the gate was closed... ugh!!! does anyone know if they try again on the same day?
Computers:

ShrimpCreole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2006, 12:42 PM

If you ever think about purchasing from B & H, think again. I ordered Feb 7, and still have yet to receive my computer. Three weeks ago, they said I would have it in two weeks, then a week later, they came back and said I'd have it the following week. NOW, today they told me I'll have it in another 2 to 3 weeks! Ahhhh!

Moral of the story, don't make the same mistake I did. Order from any reseller, other than B & H!

mac noob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
WOE IS ME!!!

they made a delivery attempt this morning but the gate was closed... ugh!!! does anyone know if they try again on the same day?

No, They won't. But if you really want it today, which I would, and you have time, you can call up the local courier, and they will set it aside when the trucks come back in, and you can pick it up. It would be after 7PM (on east coast for me) though until you could do this most likely. Give it a shot, call 'em up.

idyll
Senior User
Mar 16, 2006, 11:26 PM

so if i bought one today, how long do you guys think it would take for apple to ship it? 1-2 weeks?

sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2006, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by idyll
so if i bought one today, how long do you guys think it would take for apple to ship it? 1-2 weeks?
nope. I just ordered mine on monday and my order status says it won't ship until april 4th. I'm hoping that's a worst case scenario though, as it seems like a few others have had their date move up after a little while.

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2006, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by sworthy
nope. I just ordered mine on monday and my order status says it won't ship until april 4th. I'm hoping that's a worst case scenario though, as it seems like a few others have had their date move up after a little while.
It's marked as 2-3 weeks, and April 4th would be 3 weeks, so I imagine that's the latest possible ship date.

In other news, I just ordered mine! Squee!
iPod nano 3G 16GB
MacBook Pro 1.83 / 100 GB 5400 RPM / 1.5 GB

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2006, 03:21 AM

I got my MBP 2.16Ghz with a 7200RPM HDD on Wednesday. It is flawless. No whine, no dead pixels, no gap when the lid is closed.

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2006, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by riotge@r
I got my MBP 2.16Ghz with a 7200RPM HDD on Wednesday. It is flawless. No whine, no dead pixels, no gap when the lid is closed.
Wow, that machine sounds like a dream although I think you are dreaming if you say there's no gap when the lid is closed as there should be one. The gap is to protect the screen from mashing on the keyboard.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 09:43 AM

I ordered mine from my fave reseller a couple weeks ago and they shipped it on Wednesday this week....it *might* arrive today but normal delivery time would put it here on Monday...really looking forward to it of course!
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2006, 06:39 PM

Damn all you guys are making me want one of my own... And I just found out yesterday that I get almost 300$ off on a Macbook Pro because of where I work.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
Wow, that machine sounds like a dream although I think you are dreaming if you say there's no gap when the lid is closed as there should be one. The gap is to protect the screen from mashing on the keyboard.
I wasn't referring to the "normal" gap. I've seen a number of MBPs with one side having a gap that was a 1/4 of an inch higher than the other. 2 of the MBPs that I opened at the Apple Store had this problem.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

MutePrint
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2006, 11:42 PM

Just ordered a 2.0 w/ 7200, estimated ship date is April 7th. Which gives me the impression that Apple just uses the furthest possible date within their initial estimate (2-3 weeks).

On an interesting side note, I was told over the phone by an Apple representative that I couldn't use the $30 off coupon with my order, as "the education discount is not compatible with any other form of discount". Naturally I just typed in the code anyway, and it worked perfectly. Final price: $2,359.00 (w/ HD upgrade). I don't think I'll be listening to Apple reps anymore.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2006, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by idyll
Mine has been on order since March 3. It still says ship date March 31, deliver by April 5.

idyll
Senior User
Mar 18, 2006, 02:15 AM

darn. guess i'll just wait until the shipping date changes to 1-2 days or whatever the usual is..

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2006, 03:46 AM

I hope the rest of you guys get your Macbooks soon. I setup mine last night. I'm just calibrating my battery right now by running down the battery.

It's running nice and cool, no dead pixels and no "whine" that people complained about.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2006, 04:10 AM

My order was redone on the 8th of March, so it's a 2-3 week wait. So I'm looking at it shipped earliest on the 22nd, but I'm REALLY REALLY hoping it arrives at the start of the shipping week.

I'm staying optimistic since this thread has been quite dead lately w/ ppl who replied no longer replying since they got theirs My first Mac since 13 years ago, i'm scared and yet excited all in the same time lol. I have a TON of software ready for install.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2006, 09:23 AM

WOW!!!

I ordered 3/14 and had an estimated ship date of 4/4 until this morning when I got notification that it shipped!

Shipped 3/18 with estimated delivery of 3/22. I even ordered a CTO from the edu store. It's a 2 Ghz with the 120 GB upgrade.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2006, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by sworthy
WOW!!!

I ordered 3/14 and had an estimated ship date of 4/4 until this morning when I got notification that it shipped!

Shipped 3/18 with estimated delivery of 3/22. I even ordered a CTO from the edu store. It's a 2 Ghz with the 120 GB upgrade.
Very interesting -- and for me annoying. I ordered mine 11 days before you, and paid full price and still have heard nothing. becomes

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by mac noob
No, They won't. But if you really want it today, which I would, and you have time, you can call up the local courier, and they will set it aside when the trucks come back in, and you can pick it up. It would be after 7PM (on east coast for me) though until you could do this most likely. Give it a shot, call 'em up.
actually they did.

i called them and they came like 5 minutes later. thats why i havent been posting as much because i am too busy enjoying my new macbook pro. and trying to fix some of the things wrong that i no like so much (right now i cant figure out how to ask mail not pick up mail that gmail has labeled as junk...)

and how do i calibrate the battery again...
Computers:

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
Very interesting -- and for me annoying. I ordered mine 11 days before you, and paid full price and still have heard nothing. becomes
call your credit card company... i looks like apple is finally catching up with demand...but the credit card company (in my case) was the the one that gave me the most up to date info...
i got a voice mail from them... called them and they said some computer company charged my account that day but they wanted to make sure it was me because they saw that i had already purchased a computer 2 weeks earlier. the charge went through and everything was fine. but my order did not show as shipped or even entering processing from the apple website for at least one full day... even thought it clearly must have.
Computers:

Pelé137
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2006, 04:40 PM

I'm 16 and have been shoveling snow and doing jobs in local places for money, obviously. I have not spent any of it since I was 10...becuase (at the time) I wanted a computer. At 12, when the iBooks came out I wanted one with the best configs and everything. Now the MBP came out! I finally got the amount I wanted, 3200. I wanted a 2.00 with 2MB of RAM and 100Gb HD, with a protection plan and edu discount. I finally got my parents to charge it to their credit card and I payed them. I ordered on February 26! Many people ordered before me and recieved them. It's been forever and I still have an estimated ship of Macrh 27, and a delivery of April 3. Why? I have waited 5 years, and now Apple just can't be easy and make it like every other thing they sell and keep it at 1-2 business days! WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!? Is there any idea when mine will ship?

Thanks
Dave

Peligro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2006, 06:10 PM

Yeah I ordered the feb 23rd. I'm thinking this week is THE week. Since everyone has been getting them early...Then i read Sworthy is getting his around the sametime i was scheduled to get mine...and he ordered a few days ago....damn it. Hurry up apple.

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2006, 06:35 AM

jholzner from MacRumors said Apple has updated their shipping time of MBPs from 2-weeks to 7-10 days. Damn it, i better get mines next week in that case, sheesh.

It seems like ppl who order now would get theirs earlier than ppl who ordered weeks ago having to wait 2-3 or 3-4 weeks -_-

MutePrint
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2006, 09:59 AM

WOW!!!

I think I'll be permamently on the edge of my seat after reading that, I ordered three days later with almost the exact same configuration (2.0 CTO, but 7200 instead of 120gig) and my ship date still says april 7th. For the love of god let this ship soon, I'm going to combust from anxiety...

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2006, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by n8236
jholzner from MacRumors said Apple has updated their shipping time of MBPs from 2-weeks to 7-10 days. Damn it, i better get mines next week in that case, sheesh.

It seems like ppl who order now would get theirs earlier than ppl who ordered weeks ago having to wait 2-3 or 3-4 weeks -_-
It has been changed to 7-10 days. I just confirmed that in the Apple store. A computer purchased today would have the same ship-by date as my computer, ordered on March 3. That's really rather annoying. It might be worth a call -- not that I think that would do much good.

UPDATE -- Just spoke to someone at Apple. He was only able to confirm that I am unlikely to get my computer this week. They haven't even shipped it from China yet.

When I asked why the fact I placed the order 16 days ago isn't placing me any further in the line than someone who places an order today, he basically said "oh well." It was a very frustrating call.

I can't say I am very impressed. Basically, once they have your order, their interest in customer relations seems to be sharply diminished. It also shows in what I had to do to speak to someone. If you pick the telephone option to check on an existing order, the system tells you they are too busy and it then hangs up on you. But when I called back and selected the option for placing an order, I got through to someone right away.
( Last edited by SimeyTheLimey; Mar 19, 2006 at 11:28 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules