Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Emergency!!

Emergency!!
David147
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2006, 05:22 AM

Ok, my sister got a new Macbook and with it she got a copy of Tiger so I decided to put it on my G4 Panther imac. Now, whenever I turn it on I get this message:

Screenshot linkThe link shows a panic and memory dump -Glenn

I can't do anything but restart it. Help??!!

Edited to remove gargantuan image! -Glenn
( Last edited by ghporter; Sep 24, 2006 at 07:46 AM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2006, 05:41 AM

1. You put the Intel version of OS X on a PowerPC Mac. I'm amazed it even started booting at all (is mach_kernel compiled as universal or something?).

2. Even if that had worked, it would have been illegal.

3. You're going to get tookied for that huge image.

4. Nice thread title.

5. To fix your problem, you need to reinstall the PowerPC version of OS X on your iMac. And if you want Tiger, I'm afraid you'll have to buy it (you could put Panther back on and wait for Leopard if you want).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

David147  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2006, 05:47 AM

I'm really sorry, i'm only 15 and was wold it would work...evidently not.

All I did was put the CD in the drive and press restart. I can't open the drive to eject the disk. Any idea how I can force it open? Will I lose all my files on the computer?

Thanks

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2006, 05:51 AM

Ah, if you haven't actually installed anything, then you should be able to get out of this simply by holding down either a) the mouse button, b) the Eject key on the keyboard, or c) both during startup (exactly which of those three you have to use seems to vary from model to model, in my experience). This will cause the disc to eject at startup, after which you should put it back with your sister's things and not do this again.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

David147  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2006, 05:57 AM

Thanks Charles, I'm very relieved. I will never do anything like this again without asking here first

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 24, 2006, 07:44 AM

David, before you do anything like that, ask LOTS of questions, and of course think critically about the credibility of your source. Folks like CharlesS have quite a lot of experience, and almost all of us here are willing to say "I really don't know what will happen" instead of pulling something out of thin air.

And also, please make sure you follow our rules. Two of them come into play here. The first is to not post HUGE pictures!!! This one is enormous! I'm going to have to do something about it to keep it from messing up a lot of people's view of the thread. The second one is that thread titles need to be informative and descriptive and NEVER things like "HELP!!!" or "EMERGENCY!!!". Why? Because that tells the other users zip about what your problem is. And frankly, a lot of people will just buzz right by your validly important thread because of a bad title.

So WELCOME to the MacNN Forums! But don't go goobering up your Mac anymore, and do follow the rules, ok?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2006, 09:52 PM

To top it off, this generally counts as piracy, as that copy of Tiger was only licensed to be installed on one machine, and it already had been.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2006, 08:55 AM

No, its only piracy if he installed the OS, just putting the DVD in is fine.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
No, its only piracy if he installed the OS, just putting the DVD in is fine.

He was attempting piracy, however.

Who the heck told him the Intel version of OS X would install and run fine on a PPC Mac????

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2006, 11:23 AM

dont think anyone would...
we don't have time to stop for gas

OreoCookie
Oct 2, 2006, 11:44 AM

Well, the OP's question has been answered, closing …
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules