Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 2 macs with same I tunes library file possible?

2 macs with same I tunes library file possible?
meem
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2005, 04:06 AM

I have 2 mac that I would like to share the same library file stored on one of the computers. Not just share the library the way Itunes has it over the network as I would like both to have control of the library. Neither computer will ever have iTunes running at the same time.

Reason is that I have a G4 dp450 tower that is only used as a file server that I store the music on. I use my 1ghz PB as my main machine. I want my iPod to be attached to the tower with the dock so I dont have to bother unhooking it from the PB every time I leave with it everyday. However since the power book is my main machine I want full control on that not just seeing a shared library. I can set the tower not to launch i tunes when put in the dock and will be turning off the one on the PB when I do sync it with the tower.

Something about my plan seems wrong/a$$backwards to me and i dont wanna currupt the library file or anything. Just curious if anybody else has tried this or think this will work.

meem  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2005, 08:31 AM

So I've figured out how to do it if anybody cares. Make a symbolic link of the itunes library file. ( I don't think just an alias will work from what i have read about it). I used a program called SymbolicLink to make the link. first overwrote the tower library file iwth the one from the PB. With the tower drive mounted on my PB I made a the link from inside the towers itunes folder. Then copied that link to my PB's itunes folder, deleted the original library file on the PB and renamed the link to be "iTunes 4 Music library".

Now when I make a change of rating, playlist or whatever both computers technically use the same library file. The Itunes Music location in itunes prefs on both computers point to the same directory on the tower which has all my music.

what did this accomplish My ipod on the tower gets updated with smart playlist and rating that i changed on the PB. And 1 less wire to fiddle with every day when I take my PB to work.

you do however have to still authorize the second computer to play music bought from iTMS on the first which is no big deal.
( Last edited by meem; Feb 5, 2005 at 08:36 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules