Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini cd boot problem

Mac Mini cd boot problem
osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2005, 03:34 PM

I used to have an ibook and I had a copy of 10.3. I kept a backup of the discs that I used for booting with instead of the originals and they worked fine. I sold the originals with my ibook - they weren't specifically for the ibook though.

Now I bought a new Mac Mini and tried to boot from the discs. To my surprise, the Mini crashed at the Apple symbol. I tried to boot from my firewire drive and the disc showed up as a valid bootable disc but when I selected it and proceeded to boot, it went so far and then showed a big grey circle with a line through it like a no smoking sign without the cigarette.

The 10.3 DVD disc that came with my Mini booted just fine. Are the new Macs programmed to not boot copied discs?

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 11, 2005, 09:51 PM

My guess the Mac Mini needs a version higher than 10.3 to boot. Like 10.3.7 or 10.3.8 for example. I'm not 100% sure on what version of Mac OS X the Mac Mini shipped with originally, now they ship with 10.4. So my guess is that the version of Mac OS X on the DVD is 10.3.x not 10.3 like the retail CD that you made your back-up from.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 11, 2005, 09:54 PM

There's no copy protection, the disc you were trying to use was simply too old a version to run on a Mac mini.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules