Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can I give my Airport Express my MacBooks MAC address?

Can I give my Airport Express my MacBooks MAC address?
mjgrothaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 07:02 AM

I just hooked into my schools network. They allow us on by registering our MAC address. However, that means I can't go wireless in my room with my Airport Express and have to hardline connect via ethernet.

is there any way I can give my computers MAC address to my Airport to make it work?

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Sep 12, 2007, 07:07 AM

Why don't you give them the MAC address of the ethernet port on your Airport Express and go from there?

rjt1000
Senior User
Sep 12, 2007, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by mjgrothaus View Post
I just hooked into my schools network. They allow us on by registering our MAC address. However, that means I can't go wireless in my room with my Airport Express and have to hardline connect via ethernet.

is there any way I can give my computers MAC address to my Airport to make it work?
Most schools dont want you to set up your own wireless network because of the dangers involved in potentially allowing intruders in. If your school finds out, you could have heaps of trouble. I would speak with your I.T. dept and find out what is allowed. They take these things quite seriously, and will likely find out if you break the rules.

Cold Warrior
Sep 12, 2007, 09:32 AM

What about full bridge mode -- won't that mask its MAC and use the computer's?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2007, 05:27 PM

As rjt1000 points out, setting up any wireless device on the campus network is potentially a Bad Thing™. A wireless access point is so serious a hole in the network's protections that the school may have in place some really serious consequences for doing so. Cranking down the output power isn't a good solution either, because a bad guy with a directional antenna can still use it. And even with truly effective, very strong controls in place, it's probably still against the school's rules. In other words, it's probably going to cause you more trouble than it saves you-by a lot.

The best way to go is to check out the specific rules before doing anything else. They're either on the school's computer support or student life web page-or somewhere similar. Searching the school's pages should get you the rules. If you come up dry, just call and ask the IT folks if you can register a new MAC. Since the first part of the MAC identifies the vendor, and Apple uses different prefixes for wired versus wireless MACs, the IT people should be able to tell pretty quick that it's a wireless device. (And if they activate that MAC and later the IT "enforcers" give you problems, you can honestly say you tried to follow the rules and procedures to the best of your ability.)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules