Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > EA games on Mac! Sorry Macbook and non Intel C2D owners...

EA games on Mac! Sorry Macbook and non Intel C2D owners...
darksol360
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2007, 08:49 PM

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2007, 09:47 PM

Maybe this will inspire Apple to upgrade their Macbook GPUs.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Maybe this will inspire Apple to upgrade their Macbook GPUs.
One can only hope...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2007, 11:46 AM

Neeeever gonna happen. It would cannibalize Macbook Pro sales.

Not that I don't wish for it...

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Neeeever gonna happen.
Agreed

Gaming video will ALWAYS be behind for all Macs, unless you see a third party video card maker steps up to the plate... and I doubt that will ever happen.

PaperNotes
Sep 20, 2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Agreed

Gaming video will ALWAYS be behind for all Macs, unless you see a third party video card maker steps up to the plate... and I doubt that will ever happen.
Macs are given less upgrade options for graphics but they aren't ever as behind as very few seem to think. For years Macs have come with the same graphics cards PCs have mostly came included with at the same time. (keyword: mostly. If you want a a 8800 Ultra SLI rig or some crazy spec then Macs fall behind). Many PCs come with GMA950 and they can't run many games either.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2007, 03:35 PM

Oh, so my friend's top line Quad G5 can't play this even though it's way better than a C2D iMac for games. How cute. What about Mac Pros?

Edit: Looks like these do work with non-Intel Macs. On Apple's feedback, people are reporting them playing fine on PowerBook G4s, as low as 1.33 GHz.

PaperNotes
Sep 20, 2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Oh, so my friend's top line Quad G5 can't play this even though it's way better than a C2D iMac for games. How cute. What about Mac Pros?
These are x86 games wrapped in Cider so forget the G5.

A Dual G5 2.7Ghz is the fastest gaming Power Mac (most games don't send enough threads to take advantage of the quad 2.5Ghz Power Mac). The Dualie 2.7Ghz G5 gets beaten by just about every first generation Core Duo (see Geekbench charts). The C2D beats the G5s even more. So what's the point trying to keep developing for Power PC?

Mac Pros can play these titles.

Edit: Looks like these do work with non-Intel Macs. On Apple's feedback, people are reporting them playing fine on PowerBook G4s, as low as 1.33 GHz.
I will believe that if I see it. A PowerBook G4 couldn't handle a native Battlefield 2142 or NFS Carbon let alone wrapped in Cider.

Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 07:25 PM

Define "Cider" for those of us not in the know.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 08:41 PM

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 09:55 PM

In the fast couple of months I`ve seen five co-workers of mine get Macbooks. They all love them to bits. Until one guy tryed to play Prey. He asked me in his thick Kiwi accent `Josh, is the screen always so jumpy and hard to play in prey?`. My answer was `No, but then again, my Macbook Pro has a graphics card whereas you do not.` Beisdes this ONE thing, everyone loves this Macbooks.

So there you have it. Four out of five new Macbook owners in my office don`t give a darn about games, and one occasionally wants to play a little. (Though I think he`ll be content playing Civ 4 for quite a while.) Most people are not into 3D games. Most people these days only want to play flash games online, and do not need an expensive power consuming GPU. People like my parents, or my sister, who just want a cheap and easy to use computer.

If you`re a gamer then its up to you to pick out a computer that meets your gaming needs. In the same way a gamer would not buy a $1,000 Dell and expect to play brand new games, a gamer should not expect to buy a $1,000 Mac and be able to play brand new games.

kelso
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2007, 12:56 PM

Thats a little depressing, due to I have a Macbook. And it is farely new. Damn it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules