Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My Joke Recommender

My Joke Recommender
tavilach
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2007, 01:05 AM

[Moderators, I apologize if this thread qualifies as spam, and understand if you delete it.]

Hi everyone,

I could really use your help! If you have a few minutes to spare, and/or you happen to like jokes, read on .

In the next *week or two* (and the sooner the better), I need to collect *as much data as possible* from Jester, a joke recommender system that I've co-developed at Berkeley. You rate a few jokes, and then it recommends jokes to you that you'll hopefully enjoy.

So:

- If you could please use Jester (*no registration required*), I'd really, really appreciate that! It's fun: you just read and rate jokes, and you keep going for as long as you want (but the longer you go, the more it'll help) .
- If you could tell your friends about Jester, that would be even more awesome.

Also:

- You could digg my digg.com post: Digg - Jester: The Online Joke Recommender Just Got Smarter
- You could rate my reddit.com post: Jester: The Online Joke Recommender Now Uses a New Algorithm, Eigentaste 5.0 (reddit.com)

Jester is available at http://eigentaste.berkeley.edu

*Important Note*: Please be honest with your ratings! I need *accurate* ratings data--I don't have any personal connection to the jokes themselves.

------

If you'd like to know more about my research (and why I need to collect data), read on:

Since last summer ('06), I have been doing research on recommender systems (Recommender system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) at Berkeley's Automation Sciences Lab under Professor Ken Goldberg, specifically on Jester (and the algorithm behind it, Eigentaste). I wrote Jester 4.0, the latest version of Jester, last summer.

I just recently changed Jester's recommendation algorithm from Eigentaste to Eigentaste 5.0, an algorithm that I developed this summer, together with a graduate student and Professor Goldberg. The graduate student and I are presenting our paper that outlines this new algorithm at a conference in mid-October, and we need statistically significant numbers to discuss at the conference. That's where you come in.

Thanks!

Tavi
( Last edited by tavilach; Sep 23, 2007 at 05:03 AM. )
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2007, 05:02 AM

Update:

I made registration optional, so you can jump to jokes right after arriving at the home page. Check it out .
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Forum Links
Forum Rules