Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > external will not boot

external will not boot
stevanforest
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2004, 09:38 PM

Hello there

to resume my problem

my 2.5" toshiba MK 6022GAX sticked in to an External enclosure powered with AC adapter with an I/O IC from Prolific PL3507 Combo (tested to be booteble )
formated HFS+ journal and tested by techtool 4 to be OK, will not BOOT!! Installed OSX from original MAC OS CD.
MY PB G4 1.33 256 60 GB 15" runs under OS X 3.5.
System Profile see External FireWire HDD an ID it correctly. DiscUtility let my Formated HFS + J. and is works fine ( copy my PB with CCC on to the drive let me use all my app. like it would be my original PB. )
System Pref. "SEEs" the FireWire and the OS and lets me selected it as an start up disk. but after restart screen stays grey.
restart with -option key gives me a blue screen with no selection to choose from ( no icons at all ) .
after disconnecting XHD drive PB boot up fine.

why i can not boot from a external FireWire Drive. ?

kindly
Stevan

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2006, 07:16 AM

some fw chipsets arent bootable.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2006, 12:55 PM

Look slike you covered all the bases and as the above poster said, some chipsets are not 'boot friendly.'
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules