Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2.4 - anyone else having issues?

10.2.4 - anyone else having issues? (Page 2)
Miniryu
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2003, 04:39 AM

Originally posted by littlegreenspud:
Well, here's two problems:

Every time I start-up it is 1970, and before you all say change my battery it is NOT a battery problem.

Every time I start up I have the little input menu in the menu bar which will let me choose between British and American, even though only British is selected in the preferences!

Sigh.
Well I probably DO have a battery problem. Everytime I start up the year is 1970. I don't restart my computer very often so this isn't much of a problem, but can someone suggest how to fix it?

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Feb 21, 2003, 05:52 AM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
Well I probably DO have a battery problem. Everytime I start up the year is 1970. I don't restart my computer very often so this isn't much of a problem, but can someone suggest how to fix it?
We have the exact same problem with my fathers iBook... I would be glad if someone could tell me what's wrong/how to fix it.
( Last edited by bOOzo; Feb 21, 2003 at 05:58 AM. )

footie
Feb 21, 2003, 10:21 AM

Every now and then when I do a save as PDF and save the file as xyz.pdf.

When I go to attach xyz.pdf to an email, I select the file by name, xyz.pdf, but when it gets attached it shows up in the attachment box in Entourage as xyz#0D1e.pdf.

Is this some especially cute feature that Apple, Adobe and Microsoft collectively accomplished?

kman42
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2003, 10:49 AM

The 10.2.4 Finder no longer deals well with disconnected servers on my iBook. I generally have a a couple AFP server connections (1 is to a Win2000 machine running PCMacLAN) along with an X11 session to another Mac running 10.2.4. If I just close the lid on my iBook and take it home, the Finder hangs. The computer picks up my Airport network and I can browse the web, get mail, etc, but the Finder just has the spinning beachball. It can stay this way for 15-20 minutes. If I force quit the Finder, it will sometimes quit (sometimes it will quit immediately, sometimes it takes two or three force quits, and sometimes it will never quit), but it will NEVER relaunch successfully.

The Finder used to handle this scenario fine under 10.2.3. The Finder would generally be unresponsive for a few minutes, but it would then report the disconnection and return to normal. No force quitting required. What bothers me most, however, the the inability to relaunch the Finder after force quitting. It is very bad form to have a 'fail safe' measure fail.

I'm fixing disk permissions now and I will try to install the combo upgrade.

kman

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by footie:
Every now and then when I do a save as PDF and save the file as xyz.pdf.

When I go to attach xyz.pdf to an email, I select the file by name, xyz.pdf, but when it gets attached it shows up in the attachment box in Entourage as xyz#0D1e.pdf.

Is this some especially cute feature that Apple, Adobe and Microsoft collectively accomplished?
Are the filenames quite long?

This is how long filenames (more than 31 characters, I think) appear when they are not supported, e.g. in OS 9.

I guess Entourage does it for compatibility with older platforms(?) or maybe it just doesn't have long filename support at all...

rambo47
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 03:26 PM

I seem to be getting about 30% less battery life according to the menu bar display since installing 10.2.4, both on a Ti667 and 12" G4 PowerBook. Anybody else notice reduced battery life?

I've tried recalibrating the battery - running it down until the PB shuts down, then recharging fully. I've done several drain/recharge cycles with each and it has not helped.

V0ID
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 02:44 AM

The CD drive popping out issue seems to have stopped. The only thing I can remember doing is opening the drive with F12 (which I usually don't do) then closing it again.

Greenland is for toy dogs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2003, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
We have the exact same problem with my fathers iBook... I would be glad if someone could tell me what's wrong/how to fix it.
This could usually be corrected by resetting the PRAM. But it appears that there is a specific problem with 10.2.4 and the '1970 reset bug'. There are others who share your problem.

My advice is to log your complaint with apple and keep an eye on this discussion in the Apple support forum:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/0

Apple say they are working on a fix at the moment, according to this post:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/0

Orion27
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 11:08 AM

First issues with update 10.2.4 My Mozilla
Profiles seems to corrupt. Mozilla won't
launch, replacing the Profiles folder with a saved one solves this. Upon waking the machine from sleep this morning, I launched Mozilla to get my mail. As usual, when I got up from my desk I swiped the across the sleep button on my monitor and the machine did not want to sleep. I tried several times. Checked the energy saver settings then noticed my clock at several minutes past 00:00. It's 07:20 by my watch. Restarted the machine and the sleep funtion returned to normal and the clock reset to the current time. I will run permissions and wait for a repeat of the event.

boots
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2003, 11:25 AM

I have the dreaded modem disconnect bug. Disabling error correction and compression fixes it, but slows thigs down a lot.

iBook 800 (twoish months old).

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
I've been following the Missing Sync Clie email list, and a lot of people have been having trouble with 10.2.4 and HotSync (which iSync does still use for Palm OS devices). Interestingly, some people had no trouble at all. But for the rest, trashing Palm Desktop and reinstalling it from scratch fixed it.

(In my case, 10.2.4 caused Vindigo to muck up everything. Removing Vindigo made it happy again.)

tooki
It turned out that my work calendar was corrupt. I followed a procedure developed by someone at the Apple discussion boards, and rooted it out. iSync once more plays nice with my Treo 90.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 11:12 PM

New instability. System has been pretty stable most of the day. Mostly in and out of three different browsers and in and out of three mail accounts in Mozilla ( each under their own profile). Opening files in and out of text/edit and Composer, Safari
and Netscape 7 and Photoshop in OS9. I described the sleep issue above. This evening I returned to the computer and it was in screensaver (the one supplied with system X). I punched a key to get out and nothing happened. Tried force quit nothing. Had to do a hard shut down. Restarted & ran permissions check.
I hear now maybe running update combo may
impart more stability?

jasong
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 12:11 AM

I've only had one problem with the 10.2.4 update.

http://idisk.mac.com/jasong/Public/permissions.jpg

Not the biggest problem, but weird. I have not removed any system fonts.

This is on a heavily modified Beige G4.

-- Jason

benb
Feb 25, 2003, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by littlegreenspud:
Well, here's two problems:

Every time I start-up it is 1970, and before you all say change my battery it is NOT a battery problem.

Every time I start up I have the little input menu in the menu bar which will let me choose between British and American, even though only British is selected in the preferences!

Sigh.
Seems to be some preference loss at startup or something. I get no date issues, but the input menu is acting up for me as well. Sometimes at startup, the layout will default to US English (or whatever the default is) instead of Dvorak and the menu will be gone. And command-option-space does not switch between layouts. If I change any setteng in the International Preference Pane, the menu 'magically' appears and all works again. Does not happen all the time though. Mildly annoying.

V0ID
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by V0ID:
The CD drive popping out issue seems to have stopped. The only thing I can remember doing is opening the drive with F12 (which I usually don't do) then closing it again.
No sooner had I posted this and the drive started popping out again. To the people who are having the same problem: do you have firewire devices connected and powered up?

Nagittar
Mar 3, 2003, 11:00 PM

Just upgraded to 10.2.4 and noticed just two problems:

1. Numeric keypad is playing up. "Enter" is working yet all the numbers aren't. num lock / clear works, as does the = / - / + / * signs. So, basically just the numbers aren't working. The numeric keys above the main qwerty board works fine.

2. Excel. When I use the Window / Hide function, Excel crashes. Shortcutting via Control / Click has the same effect.

I'm currently downloading the 10.2.4 combo (I originally went 10.2 ==> 10.2.3 via the 10.2.3 Combo and then from 10.2.3 ==> 10.2.4.

BTW: B+W G3 300

gregpins
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
I seem to be getting about 30% less battery life according to the menu bar display since installing 10.2.4, both on a Ti667 and 12" G4 PowerBook. Anybody else notice reduced battery life?

I've tried recalibrating the battery - running it down until the PB shuts down, then recharging fully. I've done several drain/recharge cycles with each and it has not helped.
Me too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules