Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 10.2.4 issue: Every time I "control-click", I crash

10.2.4 issue: Every time I "control-click", I crash
Nagittar
Mar 13, 2003, 01:07 AM

Every time I "control-click" the program i'm in crashes. Safari, Excel, Word, Illustrator, you name it, it crashes.

Try using your mac for a day without "control-clicking"!

Any ideas apart from formatting back to 10.1.5?

- i'm unable to clean install back to 10.2 as i only have an upgrade disc - not the full version.
- i have d/l the 10.2.4 Combo as recommended, but no luck
- i'm running a G3 300.

Thanks for any tips!

"edit: $hit, i've posted this in the wrong forum, could a nice mod please relocate to OSX Forum. Thanks."
( Last edited by Nagittar; Mar 13, 2003 at 01:14 AM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2003, 03:06 AM

Open the Console app (in /Applications/Utilities) and leave it running while you crash an app this way. See if anything shows up in the Console. Post the results here.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Nagittar  (op)
Mar 13, 2003, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Open the Console app (in /Applications/Utilities) and leave it running while you crash an app this way. See if anything shows up in the Console. Post the results here.
Mar 14 03:16:27 localhost crashdump: Crash report written to: /Users/bif/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Numbers.crash.log

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2003, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Nagittar:
Mar 14 03:16:27 localhost crashdump: Crash report written to: /Users/bif/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Numbers.crash.log
Rats, that's not much help. I guess the standard troubleshooting steps are in order:

1. Run DiskWarrior.

2. Try it from a different user and see if the problem still occurs under that user. If so, something's messed up in your home Library folder.

3. If it's still screwed up even when logged in as another user, you may have to reinstall the OS...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Mskr
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2003, 08:23 PM

My advice is to check for any contextual menu modifying apps that you may have, like FruitMenu or Stuffit Deluxe and make sure that they are all 10.2.4 compliant. Just turn off these apps one by one and see if any of them are causing a crash.

Also, to really get the debug information (crash log) for an application, do the following:

1) Open Console (in Applications, Utilities subfolder as noted above)
2) Open Console's preferences (Console menu, Preferences... option)
3) Switch to the Crashes tab
4) Check both checkboxes on that tab

Now, every time an application "Unexpectedly quits", you'll get a crash log with debugging information on what happened. If you get annoyed by this, just reverse step #4 above to turn this feature off.

My guess is that some 3rd party app is not stable, and probably has nothing to do with 10.2.4, but is just unstable and causing crashes. This was happening with DockExtender when we had FruitMenu inserting it's contextual menu items into our HotKey pop-up menus; now we filter them out, and no more crashes. I'm just guessing that something like that is going on on your system.

If so, write to the developers and send them the crashlog that you collect above; I'm sure they'll appreciate it. Though, post it here too, using the [ code ] tags, and we'll see what you have going on...

Good luck.
Software Architect, CodeTek Studios, Inc.

12" AlBook 867 (Combo drive) 640 MB/40 GB (work development machine) -- TiBook 400MHz/384MB/10GB (home machine)
CodeTek VirtualDesktop Pro: Power multitasking! -- DockExtender: Powerful, efficient launcher for Apps, Docs and everything else!

rambo47
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 09:18 PM

I recall an issue with out-of-date haxies like FruitMenu from Unsanity causing this exact problem. HotApp might also have done this. Once I upgraded to the newest version the problem was gone, never to be seen again.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2003, 10:13 PM

Rats, that's not much help. I guess the standard troubleshooting steps are in order:

1. Run DiskWarrior.

2. Try it from a different user and see if the problem still occurs under that user. If so, something's messed up in your home Library folder.

3. If it's still screwed up even when logged in as another user, you may have to reinstall the OS...
Wait, that's extremely helpful. Why don't you open up that log file at the location specified and tell us what you see - there might be something useful there... but it sounds like reinstalling OS X maybe the best answer. You could also send that crash log along to apple for them to look at.

Matt Fahrenbacher

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
Wait, that's extremely helpful. Why don't you open up that log file at the location specified and tell us what you see - there might be something useful there... but it sounds like reinstalling OS X maybe the best answer. You could also send that crash log along to apple for them to look at.

Matt Fahrenbacher
It would be very helpful if I had the source code to those apps. It's somewhat less helpful without it...

Of course, you do have a point. If it's crashing in the same exact method in every app, and there's a haxie that patches just that method, then it might let us know what's going on. Okay, go ahead and post the log file.

Nagittar  (op)
Mar 14, 2003, 10:35 AM

It would be very helpful if I had the source code to those apps. It's somewhat less helpful without it...

Of course, you do have a point. If it's crashing in the same exact method in every app, and there's a haxie that patches just that method, then it might let us know what's going on. Okay, go ahead and post the log file.
Ok, problem fixed!

I turned off fruit menu, restarted and guess what, no more crashig on control click.

BTW: Here is some more info i managed to get from the crash log. I t looks looks like fruit menu is the culprit!:

dyld: /Applications/Microsoft Office X/Numbers Undefined symbols:
/Users/bif/Library/PreferencePanes/FruitMenu.prefPane/Contents/Resources/FruitMenu.app/Contents/Resources/FruitMenu.Magic undefined reference to _CloneMenu expected to be defined in Carbon
Mar 15 01:28:43 localhost crashdump: Crash report written to: /Users/bif/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Numbers.crash.log

Thnks for all the tips, it has been hugely appreciated.

Nagittar  (op)
Mar 16, 2003, 11:46 PM

Ok, problem fixed!

I turned off fruit menu, restarted and guess what, no more crashig on control click.
oops ... my keypad is no longer working. Most annoying as I have a lot of book keeping to do and entering numbers via the number strip on top of the keyboard ain't the most convenient way.

I have removed all menu bar apps and hacks that could have been interfering with my system (fruit menu, menulator, menucalender, meteo, tinkertool, window shade X and default folder X) and control clicking is working fine.

Just no key pad ...

WTF?

I'm getting this message in the terminal:

Mar 17 14:18:45 localhost /Applications/Microsoft Office X/Numbers: *** Warning: ATSUMeasureText has been deprecated. Use ATSUGetUnjustifiedBounds instead. ***

Any ideas's???

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2003, 01:27 AM

oops ... my keypad is no longer working. Most annoying as I have a lot of book keeping to do and entering numbers via the number strip on top of the keyboard ain't the most convenient way.

I have removed all menu bar apps and hacks that could have been interfering with my system (fruit menu, menulator, menucalender, meteo, tinkertool, window shade X and default folder X) and control clicking is working fine.

Just no key pad ...

WTF?

I'm getting this message in the terminal:

Mar 17 14:18:45 localhost /Applications/Microsoft Office X/Numbers: *** Warning: ATSUMeasureText has been deprecated. Use ATSUGetUnjustifiedBounds instead. ***

Any ideas's???
Since it seems like the previous problem was caused by a haxie, how about removing all haxies and the ApplicationEnhancer.framework, and see if that helps at all.

Nagittar  (op)
Mar 17, 2003, 08:17 AM

Since it seems like the previous problem was caused by a haxie, how about removing all haxies and the ApplicationEnhancer.framework, and see if that helps at all.
CharlesS - I have removed all haxies but, please excuse my ignorance, what is "ApplicationEnhancer.framework" and how does one go about removing it?

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules