Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > cmd+s is doing odd things

cmd+s is doing odd things
philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 20, 2003, 04:41 PM

this has happened to me far too many times now, so i was just wondering if anyone else is plagued with it. this isn't every time i use this shortcut, just sometimes. here's the deal:

i'm working in BBE. it's time to save the document. i hit cmd+s, to save it. Finder crashes, and it stuffs the document?

hmm. strange. anyway, back to work i went.

a few minutes ago, i'm working in Dreamweaver. it's time to save the document. i hit cmd+s, to save it, and F12 straight away, to preview it in safari. Finder crashes, things go freaky. freaky in this case, is Finder hanging, me going to force quit it, and seeing 2 Finders in the force quit window (one of which is red), after a nice spinning beach ball hypnotised me for about 5 minutes. freaky is also safari spazzing out like mad, but we should ignore that, as we all know it's a buggy beta

so. does anyone else get cmd+s madness? any ideas what could be going on here?

thanks

[edit] i'm tempted to lay the blame with MagicMenu, just so rosyna gets the blame [/edit]
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2003, 04:48 PM

Yeah, the fact that the file got stuffed is a pretty good clue to the culprit.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Terri
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 04:52 PM

My guess would be some kind of drive corruption since all these things seem to be happening when you try to write to the drive.

Do you have more then one drive, what 3rd party stuff have you installed, are you working off of a server, need more information.

philzilla  (op)
Occasionally Useful
Mar 20, 2003, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by Terri:
Do you have more then one drive, what 3rd party stuff have you installed, are you working off of a server, need more information.
one very old, original 6Gb iMac drive; all the unsane haxies, except mighty mouse; working locally. running 10.2.4

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2003, 05:19 PM

I agree with malvolio - this problem seems pretty obvious. Remove MagicMenu (and any haxies, since you say you have them all), and you'll probably solve your problem.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Terri
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
one very old, original 6Gb iMac drive; all the unsane haxies, except mighty mouse; working locally. running 10.2.4
I run 3 things of theirs myself with no probems, fruitmenu, windowshade, labels.

Make another account and then log in under that account to see if things clear up. Could be a corrupt preference or something.

Download Mac Janitor and use it to clear out all the catches.

If you have a DiskWarrior CD I would boot off of it and then run it.

PS: I just pre-ordered my Mac OS X DiskWarrior CD.

philzilla  (op)
Occasionally Useful
Mar 20, 2003, 05:33 PM

I run 3 things of theirs myself with no probems, fruitmenu, windowshade, labels.

Make another account and then log in under that account to see if things clear up. Could be a corrupt preference or something.

Download Mac Janitor and use it to clear out all the catches.
i've alpha/beta-tested all the major ones since day one, and they've never caused any trouble (even slava's "live dangerously" versions )

i'll probably just backup all my stuff to the iBook, zero, then do a clean install. i was just interested to see if anyone else was getting this, that's all.

thanks for the answers so far

Terri
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
i'll probably just backup all my stuff to the iBook, zero, then do a clean install. i was just interested to see if anyone else was getting this, that's all.
Seems awful drastic to me, plus by doing that you will never know what the problem was.

I'm with the other posters about MagicMenu. MagicMenu was a constant source of trouble under Classic, not sure how it is under X since I have not tried it, but I would try removing that first.

philzilla  (op)
Occasionally Useful
Mar 20, 2003, 05:45 PM

yeah, i guess i should. i mean, it's not like it's as fully-functional as the OS 9 version anyway, let's face it...

*ahem* rosyna *cough*

i shall report my findings

mudzilla
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2003, 09:02 PM

then go out and get some fresh air?

understand your lives are rubbish

philzilla  (op)
Occasionally Useful
Mar 20, 2003, 09:21 PM

get back in yer box, you

anyway. fresh air? here? pfft...

Nagittar
Mar 21, 2003, 01:33 PM

Now i have a few unsanity haxies floating around and had a few problems in the last week. I have just done as Terri pointed out, and set up a new user and login.

All problems fixed - everything is back to normal.

Now how do a track this down this further so that i can fix it?

thanks for any tips ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules