Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > installing OSX jag in B&W G3

installing OSX jag in B&W G3
suprz's ghost
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2003, 08:31 AM

this weekend i upgraded my os to OS9.2 (not 9.2.2) and then installed OSX jag, and after the install, there isnt any "classic" folder! OSX erased the drive and just installed OSX. there are a few things i still need to use OS9 for. i know i have to do another complete install and everything like that, but what did i do wrong? i am going to erase the drive and install OS9.2.2 and then install OSX 10.2 again. (oh yeah, i am using the OSX10.2 cd that came with my ibook, my friend used it in his beige G3 and he had OS9.2.2) and it left OS9 "classic" on his drive, so i dont know why it erased OS9 off of mine)
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"...Albert Einstein

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2003, 06:25 PM

confused for sure

So, let's be 1000% sure that everyone understands, for the last time

The Jag CD does NOT contain any OS 9 software, only the capability to run the classic environment inside OS X !

You still have to have an OS 9.2 system folder *somewhere* on the computer, designate it in the system preferences as the one you want Jag to use for classic, and then, on the first classic boot-up, it will install a few compatability extensions.

Once this is done, you can still boot into a TRUE, NON-classic OS 9.2 system simply by changing the start-up disk in syst prefs and rebooting. Then change it back to jag and reboot into X as usual

You essentially wasted your time on the OS 9 install, because the Jag install wiped everything clean.....

So either install OS 9.2 again, or wipe everything clean, partition and reformat the drive into 2 parts, and install everything again

suprz's ghost  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2003, 06:45 PM

o.k. then, if osx can run os9 apps in "classic" why does it tell me it cannot find the os9 system folder? i've opened up the HD and done a search, and there is nothing on the HD. so you said, OSX does not install OS9 and that my system folder had to be on the drive, but you also said that OSX erased my drive and loaded OSX only. so now i'm more confused, if i had an os9 system folder on the HD before i installed OSX it would have erased the entire drive and loaded OSX only correct? if that is the case, why would i have a OS9 system folder? so it would seem that i have to partition my drive in order to have both. when i go into system preferences, and click on OS9 it tells me there is no system folder. and to install a system folder. but how do i install a system folder from OS9 when i'm in OSX???? ARGH!

BUT.... my ibook can boot into OS9 and there is no partition on the drive that i know of.....

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"...Albert Einstein

the weatherman
Mar 31, 2003, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by suprz's ghost:
o.k. then, if osx can run os9 apps in "classic" why does it tell me it cannot find the os9 system folder? i've opened up the HD and done a search, and there is nothing on the HD. so you said, OSX does not install OS9 and that my system folder had to be on the drive, but you also said that OSX erased my drive and loaded OSX only. so now i'm more confused, if i had an os9 system folder on the HD before i installed OSX it would have erased the entire drive and loaded OSX only correct? if that is the case, why would i have a OS9 system folder? so it would seem that i have to partition my drive in order to have both. when i go into system preferences, and click on OS9 it tells me there is no system folder. and to install a system folder. but how do i install a system folder from OS9 when i'm in OSX???? ARGH!

BUT.... my ibook can boot into OS9 and there is no partition on the drive that i know of.....

If your iBook has OS 9 and you don't want to go through the hassle of installing OS9 just copy the sysem folder from your iBook (via networking).

If you have an OS9 installer just boot from the CD and try from there, you can just leave your partition scheme as it is. If you want to partition it in two that's also fine. Just be careful when installing Jaguar again, make sure not to choose the option of erasing first before installation.

Hope that helps.

smeger
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2003, 07:58 PM

OS X includes the ability to run classic applications if there is a valid OS 9 System Folder present. It does not install this for you - you need to do it yourself.

When you install OS X, you don't need to wipe the drive first - you can install over an existing OS 9 installation, in which case, you'll be able to run Classic apps from within OS X.

Alternately, you can tell the OS X installer to wipe your drive first, in which case, you need to manually install OS 9 afterwards.

To sum up, both the OS 9 and the OS X installers include the ability to wipe your drive, but neither do it unless you don't already have an initialized hard drive or you explicitely tell the installer to do so. Neither installer installs the other operating system - if you want to OS's on your machine, you have to run two installers.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

suprz's ghost  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2003, 09:40 PM

i've just been to apple's website and per alot of other people with my same problem, or want to install OS9 after installing only OSX, *SUPPOSEDLY* you can boot from an OS9.2 cd and click "clean install" and this will only install OS9.2 and will leave you OSX alone and intact......

we will find out this week, as soon as my friend get around here with his OS9.2 cd

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Location: Australia, the greatest country in the world, (Australians keep telling me).
Mar 31, 2003, 10:16 PM

i've just been to apple's website and per alot of other people with my same problem, or want to install OS9 after installing only OSX, *SUPPOSEDLY* you can boot from an OS9.2 cd and click "clean install" and this will only install OS9.2 and will leave you OSX alone and intact......

we will find out this week, as soon as my friend get around here with his OS9.2 cd
um.. yes you can do this.

If you do not tell the OSX installer to wipe the disk and you has OS9 installed, OS9 will still work
If you do not tell the OS9 installer to wipe the disk and you had OSX installed, OSX will still work

Its so easy!

suprz's ghost  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2003, 08:05 AM

man, i sure hope so!! (i hate being a newbie to OSX)

Nagittar
Apr 1, 2003, 10:02 AM

this is exactly what i have just done -everything is worked just fine.

you'll just have to trust us!

mwwwaaahhhaaaaahhaaa ...

suprz's ghost  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2003, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Nagittar:
this is exactly what i have just done -everything is worked just fine.

you'll just have to trust us!

mwwwaaahhhaaaaahhaaa ...

sure, i trust you guys......

Forum Links
Forum Rules