Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Gmail software

Gmail software
plamparello
Dec 7, 2004, 11:00 PM

On a different topic, what is the best app you have all found to check your gmail software. I believe there are a few out there.
plamparello

Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2004, 11:06 PM

gmail is now pop enabled so you can use whatever you want.

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by Blue Flame:
gmail is now pop enabled so you can use whatever you want.
Yeah... and how cool is the option to have it archive the mail you download to your computer in your gmail account too?? Now you can have it locally on the computer and anywhere else...
RedHerring: Trying to do more than convert air into carbon dioxide since 1979...

Nagittar
Dec 13, 2004, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by RedHerring:
Yeah... and how cool is the option to have it archive the mail you download to your computer in your gmail account too?? Now you can have it locally on the computer and anywhere else...
with a pop enabled gmail account will it download mail from the spam folder? surely it wouldn't but for some reason i think i recall someone say that enabling the forwarding it forwards mail from the spam folder.

thanks

Amorya
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2004, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by Nagittar:
with a pop enabled gmail account will it download mail from the spam folder? surely it wouldn't but for some reason i think i recall someone say that enabling the forwarding it forwards mail from the spam folder.

thanks
I would imagine it would - can't see why it wouldn't. Set your own spam rules on your local machine?

(My ISP tags spam emails as "***SPAM*** subject" - mebbe gmail does that. If so, just make a rule to delete them.)

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2004, 09:52 AM

I've been using Gmail with pop now for a few days, and it doesn't seem to download any spam to my computer.

Nagittar
Dec 13, 2004, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
I've been using Gmail with pop now for a few days, and it doesn't seem to download any spam to my computer.
thanks.

out of interest, have you or anyone else, noticed a huge increase in the amount of spam your gmail account have been receiving.

in the last week i have gone from 1 per month to about 10 per day.

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2004, 12:43 PM

thanks.

out of interest, have you or anyone else, noticed a huge increase in the amount of spam your gmail account have been receiving.

Your address might have gotten out to someone. I've seen no increase in spam emails on my gmail account.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2004, 12:52 PM

thanks.

only 10 per day? I've been getting about 30-40 per day, and I never gave out the damn address. :/
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2004, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
only 10 per day? I've been getting about 30-40 per day, and I never gave out the damn address. :/

*knock on wood*

I've never received one piece of spam at my gmail account. Of course, now that I've said this I'll probably start getting it! haha

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2004, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by plamparello:
On a different topic, what is the best app you have all found to check your gmail software. I believe there are a few out there.
I don't have Gmail but use Eudora to manage two other POP accounts. IMO it's the best email application out there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules