Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pope told scientists they should not study the beginning of the universe

Pope told scientists they should not study the beginning of the universe
Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2006, 10:57 AM

"HONG KONG (AP) - Famous astrophysicist Stephen Hawking said Thursday that the late Pope John Paul II once told scientists they should not study the beginning of the universe because it was the work of God.

The British author _ who wrote the best-seller "A Brief History of Time" _ said that the pope made the comments at a cosmology conference at the Vatican.

Hawking, who didn't say when the meeting was held, quoted the pope as saying, "It's OK to study the universe and where it began. But we should not enquire into the beginning itelf because that was the moment of creation and the work of God."

The scientist then joked during a lecture in Hong Kong, "I was glad he didn't realize I had presented a paper at the conference suggesting how the universe began. I didn't fancy the thought of being handed over to the Inquisition like Galileo."

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articleA...awkingpope.php

Not like the pope is trying to repress science in the name of religion or anything. What is he so afraid of?
( Last edited by Socially Awkward Solo; Jun 15, 2006 at 11:34 AM. )

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2006, 11:30 AM

And? Isn't this a post and run violation?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2006, 11:47 AM

You know, just because we can explain how the universe occurred doesn't disprove the existence of some type of higher being (If that's what he's concerned of).

Maybe he considered it sacrilegious, like cloning and such. But if we truly are created in God's image, and there's no reason for us no to study what he did and how.

Socially Awkward Solo  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
You know, just because we can explain how the universe occurred doesn't disprove the existence of some type of higher being (If that's what he's concerned of).

Maybe he considered it sacrilegious, like cloning and such. But if we truly are created in God's image, and there's no reason for us no to study what he did and how.
But it is all about rules, just YES or NO and no shades of gray. Any questions one might have can be answered by a book.

It is how one maintains control.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2006, 12:29 PM

This is running on /. right now, and there's some speculation there that Hawking misunderstood what the Pope was saying. The Pope may not have been saying that Science shouldn't study the exact moment of the "beginning", but rather that science can't provide any meaningful answers about it.

Someone made the point (I can't claim credit for it myself) that for anyone who's not a bible Literalist, the Big Bang theory is Science's gift to Religion. It basically holds that there was a single point in time at which everything started, including all the laws of the universe, and we can never observe what happened at t=0 or t<0. In a sense, it is Science validating that Something caused the Universe to be, and we can never empirically find out what it is.

You'll find that the Catholic Church is now among the most progressive of the Christian religions when it comes to reconciling science and religion. Did you notice that this cosmology conference actually took place at the Vatican? I doubt there were any papers presented that held that the Earth was the center of the Universe. Sure, there's a lot of history to overcome, but can you honestly tell me that the Roman Catholic Church is more hostile to Science right now then, say, the Southern Baptists?

Monique
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2006, 11:04 AM

Spirituality has to do with faith, feelings, soul searching but nothing to do with scientific facts like the beginning of the universe.

Why is it such a struggle for conservatives that evolution is a fact, that the theories of Professor Hawking are true.

Didn't God gives us intelligence to be actually used in finding answers, in asking questions. If God has anything to do with our existence he is the reason why we are able to enjoy the presence of such geniuses as Professor Hawking.

Christian churches are not progressive and will never accept that the universe was created by any other ways that a white guy with a long beard that decided to snap his fingers.

Anyway if earth was created in such a way, is there other planets that were created in such a way.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2006, 11:09 AM

Conservatives? What do they have to do with anything?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dork.
This is running on /. right now, and there's some speculation there that Hawking misunderstood what the Pope was saying. The Pope may not have been saying that Science shouldn't study the exact moment of the "beginning", but rather that science can't provide any meaningful answers about it.
That's what I thought when I read it. The reasoning Hawking seems to attribute to the Pope is ridiculous even for a deeply religious man. In Catholic cosmology, the entire universe is ultimately God's work, so why would the very beginning be different? It seems like he must have been saying that it's a fruitless question because you would have to find God to answer it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
...Why is it such a struggle for conservatives that evolution is a fact, that the theories of Professor Hawking are true.

...Christian churches are not progressive and will never accept that the universe was created by any other ways that a white guy with a long beard that decided to snap his fingers.
Lay off the drugs, they're going to destroy what precious little of your brain is left.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2006, 03:04 PM

It's menopause, man, not drugs. That — and all the hair.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2006, 03:37 PM

This is bull and hearsay. The man is dead and can't respond to these claims. Tsk tsk.

The Church has always been supportive from the beginning to study God's creation.. after all it was they who invented natural science just for that purpose.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2006, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
This is bull and hearsay. The man is dead and can't respond to these claims. Tsk tsk.

The Church has always been supportive from the beginning to study God's creation.. after all it was they who invented natural science just for that purpose.

V
God did not create earth.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2006, 04:45 PM

Glad that's settled.

OK, who wants pizza? I heard Tooki is gonna orders some Carry out.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2006, 05:05 PM

Glad that's settled.

I want the meat kind with extra cheese

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2006, 05:39 PM

huh, take out, man im so pissed, lets just argue about semantics until the pizza goes cold ;-)

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jun 20, 2006, 10:12 PM

Scientists tell us what to believe and how to believe it. Yet their theories are always changing so there is no foundation for us to stand on. It is probably the second most popular religion in the United States next to Christianity. The major difference is that the Holy Bible tells us what happened and why.
The Jews are looking for a mighty king like David to be their Messiah and the Secular crowd is looking for a Big Bang to be theirs. The answer for both of them is something they don't want to hear or even admit to themselves. The Messiah is Jesus Christ and God created the Earth.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2006, 10:26 PM

According to the Church, He did.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2006, 04:29 AM

And he only took 7 days. 7 Earth days, Pluto days, God days? Who knows. Hmm... my God only took half a day to create the universe. Beat that.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2006, 06:02 AM

In the Beginning, God created Chuck Norris. He caused the Universe to exist with a single roundhouse kick.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 21, 2006, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo
According to the Church, He did.
According to Eug, Pizza with olives and feta cheese is Mmm Mmm Good.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 21, 2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
That — and all the hair.

Glad that's settled.

Forum Links
Forum Rules