Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > everclear (the band)

everclear (the band)
macfantn
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2009, 12:06 AM

So I was listening to their first album today, haven't listened to it in a while. This album f*ckin' rocks. Too bad they sold out and all their other albums suck. Bands need to stick to doing drugs and writing good songs.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2009, 01:55 AM

w t f
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 31, 2009, 01:56 AM

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2009, 01:58 AM

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2009, 02:05 AM

OK, it's obvious we need some proper music in this thread.

Happy new decade, Amerika!
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2009, 01:05 PM

The only Everclear album that I own is their second one. Am I not cool enough for you guys?
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Dec 31, 2009 at 01:16 PM. )

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 31, 2009, 01:09 PM

The threads are so bad they're good.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2009, 01:17 PM

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
That song is mediocre by every possible measurement
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
"This video contains content from EMI. It is no longer available in your country."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2009, 05:24 PM

While we're at it, I also love the music of Nickelback, Stone Sour, Hinder, Breaking Benjamin, Creed, Fallout Boy, Puddle of Mudd, and Shinedown.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2009, 05:42 PM

This is my favorite song today:

YouTube - Safety Dance- Men Without Hats

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2010, 05:25 PM

Everclear is so unbelievably whiny and trashy. I swear, half their songs are about how hard their lives are, what with drug addiction and unemployment problems to deal with.

Boo-hoo.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2010, 06:15 PM

I take it you don't do Blues.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2010, 09:18 PM

I saw 'em live once. About 9 years ago, I guess. The singer, who was very angry at his bad, bad father, wrote a few catchy melodies, but never caught on to the idea of different songs having different themes or tempos or different beats. The drummer never even caught on to the idea that the drum fills at the end of 8 bars could be different from one another.

Ultimately, they bored me stiff.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2010, 09:18 PM

omg I psotted in the luonge. Hi! Happy new year!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
While we're at it, I also love the music of Nickelback, Stone Sour, Hinder, Breaking Benjamin, Creed, Fallout Boy, Puddle of Mudd, and Shinedown.
What the hell is the matter with Evanescence and Coldplay‽

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2010, 10:00 PM

I love Everclear but their first album is actually "World of Noise" which was barely known ... "Sparkle and Fade" (with Heroin Girl, Santa Monica, etc) was their second but the first one that was widely known. I imagine they sound pretty boring and plain to most people now but "Sparke and Fade" was a very special album at a very particular time of my life where almost every song was perfection to me.

I'd just moved to a new town and lived across the street from the beach in a run down cinder block house, worked like a b*tch in extreme heat and filth (I was doing Anthro field work) , didn't know anybody very well, had recently ended a 6 year relationship that lasted from age 18 to 24 which was amazingly traumatic since it pulled all the way back to childhood, and struggled just for daily necessities and to keep a roof over my head ... my only release was getting plastered on cheap alchohol and jumping in the big warm drink of water across from the house which I managed to do about once a week. I was hot, nasty, lonely and barely making it and having to half-support 2 deadbeat roommates that I barely knew but couldn't even afford to kick out ... I had no way to cover the loss of their partial payments for even a single month without losing my own roof.

I'll just say the themes of their songs at the time spoke to me (yes, from the whininess to the themes about getting plastered to the daily struggle and the leaving old things in the past). Nothing like coming home after working in 100 degree heat and nearly 100% humidity, dirty as sh*t, to try to sleep and relax in a house with no AC with 100 degree heat indexes at 1:00 in the morning to find the place wrecked by roommates who only left a fraction of their rent money and "disappeared" for a couple days and only came back after I had to deal with covering their shortfall to keep the landlord from kicking us all out. A dip in the ocean and enough beer to get me to fall asleep in that awful heat was about as good as things got. That awful, skinny lump of a futon that I called my bed at the time looked like the freakin' shroud of Turin from the sweat and seawater stains I left on it. Man, Everclear was just right at that time of my life :-)

I still listen to them from time to time but realize that if you didn't have a "moment" with their music and a lot of beer, they probably sound* pretty awful.

Forum Links
Forum Rules