Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Firewire CDRW -> FW harddrive?

Firewire CDRW -> FW harddrive?
Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2003, 04:50 AM

I have an old QPS CDRW drive that started making some horrible noises a week ago. I may just retire it. But i was tryng to figure out if it would be possible to just toss out the burner and in its place put a hard drive in.

I see FW enclosures being sold all over the place so I know that with at least some chip sets it is possible but since mine was a FW CDRW drive I am not sure. I can't fine a name of who made the chipset on this drive.

It is a QPS-525 (Cir mid 2000)
Does anyone know for certain that this is possible?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2003, 06:35 AM

it should work. i did this with my lacie case without any problems.

-r.

jbelch3
Banned
Sep 10, 2003, 07:18 AM

I tried this just last week with my EZQuest CDRW. I removed the CDWR from the case put my 10gb drive in and I couldn't get it to work. I then pulled the drive and set it as master and it sill doesn't work. Does anybody have any idea if I need to try something else...or does my case just not support hard drives?

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2003, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by jbelch3:
I tried this just last week with my EZQuest CDRW. I removed the CDWR from the case put my 10gb drive in and I couldn't get it to work. I then pulled the drive and set it as master and it sill doesn't work. Does anybody have any idea if I need to try something else...or does my case just not support hard drives?
It should work. You might need to set the jumpers to cable select.

Langdon  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
it should work. i did this with my lacie case without any problems.

-r.
Tried it. It didn't work. But I will have to dig up the manual and figure out the jumper settings on this hard drive. Any more advice before I proceed?

jbelch3
Banned
Sep 10, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by jtc:
It should work. You might need to set the jumpers to cable select.
Thanks jtc, I'll try that next. So after I plug it in and reboot it should just mount on its own right?

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2003, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by jbelch3:
Thanks jtc, I'll try that next. So after I plug it in and reboot it should just mount on its own right?
Maybe, maybe not. It depends how the drive was formatted. Open disc utility and it should show up there whether it has any readable partitions or not.

milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2003, 10:05 PM

Did this also, in reverse. Put a CDRW into a HD case.

Shouldn't need to deal with jumpers, unless it's set to slave. My drive out of the FW case was set to master, but it should work with no jumpers, since it's on its own bus.

BTW, I don't need the Lacie case anymore, anybody want to buy it from me? An older D2 case for a HD, with proper screws. Works fine, but has been taken apart. It has the 911 chip.
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

Forum Links
Forum Rules