Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > NYC Subways

NYC Subways
alex_wlu_82
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2004, 08:56 PM

my girlfriend and i just got back from NYC - (thanks to all those who sent your suggestions) and we have an argument going on how many doorways there are in each subway car (stupid, i know, but we are really competitive). And do they line up? ie - are they directly across from each other in the car.

Thanks!

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2004, 08:58 PM

the doors line up

alex_wlu_82  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2004, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
the doors line up
thank you! she still doesn't buy it. Although she never will - until she's right, that is.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2004, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by alex_wlu_82:
thank you! she still doesn't buy it. Although she never will - until she's right, that is.
Female...enough said.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2004, 09:03 PM

there are 8 openings on a car- three sets of two sliding doors opposing on each side. and the two doors at the ends.

edit: see?

alex_wlu_82  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2004, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
there are 8 openings on a car- three sets of two sliding doors opposing on each side. and the two doors at the ends.
now she's happy.. although i could swear that i saw a car with 4 (on each side, opening onto the platform -- the F from Coney Island). I guess i'm no better than she is.

alex_wlu_82  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2004, 09:23 PM

now she's happy.. although i could swear that i saw a car with 4 (on each side, opening onto the platform -- the F from Coney Island). I guess i'm no better than she is.
i WAS right! Time to take her down a notch!

http://www.railway-technology.com/pr...s/newyork4.jpg

NYC Subway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2004, 09:36 PM

my girlfriend and i just got back from NYC - (thanks to all those who sent your suggestions) and we have an argument going on how many doorways there are in each subway car (stupid, i know, but we are really competitive). And do they line up? ie - are they directly across from each other in the car.

Thanks!
Ok, I registered here just so I could answer this question for you guys. Here's the deal. There are two different standards in the NYC Subway, the difference being the width of the cars. The "number" lines have narrower cars than the "letter" lines. The "number" lines have subway cars that are ~50 feet long and have 3 side doors per side of the car for a total of 6 side doors plus the 2 end doors. The "letter" lines have two different lengths of cars. Some of the cars are ~60 feet long and some of them are ~75 feet long. But both of them each have 4 side doors per side of the car for a total of 8 side doors plus the 2 end doors.

Now the question about them lining up. The answer is YES AND NO. The newest cars on both the "number" and "letter" lines have doors that do not line up. The are offset just a bit. But most of the older cars have doors that do line up.

I have to run out now, and it was nice chatting with you all, but if you are still confused then I'll post some pics when I get back. Ok?

alex_wlu_82  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2004, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by NYC Subway:
Ok, I registered here just so I could answer this question for you guys. Here's the deal. There are two different standards in the NYC Subway, the difference being the width of the cars. The "number" lines have narrower cars than the "letter" lines. The "number" lines have subway cars that are ~50 feet long and have 3 side doors per side of the car for a total of 6 side doors plus the 2 end doors. The "letter" lines have two different lengths of cars. Some of the cars are ~60 feet long and some of them are ~75 feet long. But both of them each have 4 side doors per side of the car for a total of 8 side doors plus the 2 end doors.

Now the question about them lining up. The answer is YES AND NO. The newest cars on both the "number" and "letter" lines have doors that do not line up. The are offset just a bit. But most of the older cars have doors that do line up.

I have to run out now, and it was nice chatting with you all, but if you are still confused then I'll post some pics when I get back. Ok?
NYC Subway - thanks alot for your help. Only now we're both right - and that's no fun! Welcome to the forum!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2004, 09:58 PM

Ok, I registered here just so I could answer this question for you guys.
So you just happened to run across a Mac forum, in particular the Lounge area, and saw a thread that you had the answer for, eh? Just all ironic like that?

Interesting.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2004, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
So you just happened to run across a Mac forum, in particular the Lounge area, and saw a thread that you had the answer for, eh? Just all ironic like that?

Interesting.
I have had this happen to me on several different forums as well. I don't actually sign up to answer every time, but often run across unanswered or improperly answered threads I know an answer to while looking for other things. You know, google does index forums.

NYC Subway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2004, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Interesting.
No, I was told of this thread by one of your esteemed members and I quickly jumped into action BTW, here is a link to my website of over 7,000 photos of the New York City Subway and other areas transit systems:

RailfanWindow.com

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2004, 06:57 AM

hell, my friend and i had an argument about:

� Jenna Jameson
� Sarah Michelle Gellar
� Christina A's Ass

does anybody have a 7,000 pic website for me to settle the argument???

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2004, 10:19 AM

The thing that has fascinated me most about the NYC subway system is its 3- and 4-track sections "feature", so to say: it's simply great to have both local and express trains on the same network (also considering the fact that the "ordinary" local lines, which are most common on a worldwide level, tend to be quite slow). I suppose that they are "excersized" (can one say so in English?) in a Richtungsbetrieb-like way (i.e., to say it with German terms, by direction, � la motorway, instead of by line, both for capacity purposes, optimal station use, etc.): here, of course, our NYC Subway dude could give a more authoritative answer...

BTW, here is the UrbanRail.Net NYC page (sadly, on a crappy Geocities site, but interesting anyway)...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Sven G:
The thing that has fascinated me most about the NYC subway system is its 3- and 4-track sections "feature", so to say: it's simply great to have both local and express trains on the same network (also considering the fact that the "ordinary" local lines, which are most common on a worldwide level, tend to be quite slow). I suppose that they are "excersized" (can one say so in English?) in a Richtungsbetrieb-like way (i.e., to say it with German terms, by direction, ?a motorway, instead of by line, both for capacity purposes, optimal station use, etc.): here, of course, our NYC Subway dude could give a more authoritative answer...

BTW, here is the UrbanRail.Net NYC page (sadly, on a crappy Geocities site, but interesting anyway)...
The express train system is really nice, and a big part of why the NYC subways are so efficient.

Take the E/F/G/R lines along Queens Blvd, for instance. (my knowledge may be a bit dated, but the principle still holds). It's a 4-track line, with the middle two tracks being the Express E and F lines. There are only a handful of express stops in Queens, at some of the major intersections along Queens Boulevard. Once the E and F lines get into Manhattan, though, they become local trains on the 8th Ave. and 6th Ave. lines, respectively. The system is optimized to make getting into and out of Manhattan as fast as possible. It has the added benefit that, when track work is necessary, you only have to shut down the tracks on the side that you're working on, and leave the line itself with some level of service. (this may not seem to be a big deal until you realize that the NYC sybways run 24/7, and stopping service for track work can be a Big Deal.)

As a side trivia note, the reason why the tracks are different dimensions is because when the Subway first started in New York, after some time three companies emerged as the dominant players. The number lines constitute the old IRT, the letter lines from A to G constitute the old IND, and the letter lines above J constitute the old BMT. The IRT was the first of the modern subways built, and those tunnels were narrower. Those same tunnles are still in use today, since it would be too much trouble to expand them. I believe those tracks are also a different gague.

Google found more information about the old subway lines at: http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=354

Incidentally, the original City Hall station is supposed to be quite a work of art. As the terminal of the Lexington Ave. line, it literally was laid out in a big circle so the trains could turn around. Now there is a newer City Hall station, but the 6 trains still use the tracks of the old station to turn around in. I heard that 10 or 15 years ago, if you stowed away on a 6 train after it stops at City Hall, you could see the old station as it went around the turn. I don't advise this, though -- if you happened to stow away on a train that wasn't turning around, but was being taken out of service for the day and going to the train yard, you could get in big trouble...

In high school, I rode the 4/5/6 line every day, but I was too chicken to try this. Has anyone else here?

edit: even after linking to the article, I got stuff wrong! D'oh!
( Last edited by dreilly1; Jul 22, 2004 at 12:20 PM. )

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

MadBrowser
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2004, 11:48 AM

Google found this on the old station:

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SUBWAYS/.../cityhall.html

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by MadBrowser:
Google found this on the old station:

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SUBWAYS/.../cityhall.html
Wow, that forgotten-ny site is great! It's got lots of good stuff!

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2004, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
hell, my friend and i had an argument about:

� Jenna Jameson
� Sarah Michelle Gellar
� Christina A's Ass

does anybody have a 7,000 pic website for me to settle the argument???
I'm working on it...
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 10:16 PM

I have a subway story.

So we just wrapped up a two day tour of New York, my gf and me. Having been raised in the countryside of NC, she had never visited the great city. I had just finished proposing, and she was now my fiance.

It's fairly late at night and there aren't many people in the tunnels. With her flashy new diamond ring on and a big southern accent she says "So this is a subway! Huh."

I proceed to tell her to turn the damn ring around so the diamond is facing her palm. And it might be helpful if we didn't seem like lambs for slaughter. She spent the next 10 minutes apologizing and I felt stupid.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2004, 10:18 PM

I hope that all will end amicably for both for both of you. A significant other is an important relationship.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

NYC Subway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2004, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
The express train system is really nice, and a big part of why the NYC subways are so efficient.

Take the E/F/G/R lines along Queens Blvd, for instance. (my knowledge may be a bit dated, but the principle still holds). It's a 4-track line, with the middle two tracks being the Express E and F lines. There are only a handful of express stops in Queens, at some of the major intersections along Queens Boulevard. Once the E and F lines get into Manhattan, though, they become local trains on the 8th Ave. and 6th Ave. lines, respectively. The system is optimized to make getting into and out of Manhattan as fast as possible. It has the added benefit that, when track work is necessary, you only have to shut down the tracks on the side that you're working on, and leave the line itself with some level of service. (this may not seem to be a big deal until you realize that the NYC sybways run 24/7, and stopping service for track work can be a Big Deal.)

As a side trivia note, the reason why the tracks are different dimensions is because when the Subway first started in New York, after some time three companies emerged as the dominant players. The number lines constitute the old IRT, the letter lines from A to G constitute the old IND, and the letter lines above J constitute the old BMT. The IRT was the first of the modern subways built, and those tunnels were narrower. Those same tunnles are still in use today, since it would be too much trouble to expand them. I believe those tracks are also a different gague.

Google found more information about the old subway lines at: http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=354

Incidentally, the original City Hall station is supposed to be quite a work of art. As the terminal of the Lexington Ave. line, it literally was laid out in a big circle so the trains could turn around. Now there is a newer City Hall station, but the 6 trains still use the tracks of the old station to turn around in. I heard that 10 or 15 years ago, if you stowed away on a 6 train after it stops at City Hall, you could see the old station as it went around the turn. I don't advise this, though -- if you happened to stow away on a train that wasn't turning around, but was being taken out of service for the day and going to the train yard, you could get in big trouble...

In high school, I rode the 4/5/6 line every day, but I was too chicken to try this. Has anyone else here?

edit: even after linking to the article, I got stuff wrong! D'oh!
You only got a couple things wrong

1. IRT tracks are the same gauge as IND/BMT tracks
2. (6) trains still turn around in the old City Hall station. It isn't a big circle but actually a small loop and only about 3 cars fit in there at once. You can still ride through the station today by staying on a (6) train. It is perfectly legal. Hide in the second to last car. Some crew members, if they see you, will tell you to get off, eventhough it is legal, so it is best to just hide from them. They don't check the train before going through the loop.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 01:26 AM

No, I was told of this thread by one of your esteemed members and I quickly jumped into action BTW, here is a link to my website of over 7,000 photos of the New York City Subway and other areas transit systems:

RailfanWindow.com
WOW now there's a site (along with www.nycsubway.org and www.nycrail.com) I am working on www.rapidtransitcentral.com and it should be launching this fall focusing on Vancouver's Public transit system. I will defently be putting a link to your site in the Resources section.

Are you interested in having a section on Rapid Transit Forums? you gave me the idea of having a "Transit Sites" forum where people rate different transit sites out there
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 10:55 AM

There's a forgotten station at 89th Street on the 1/9 too. If you watch carefully after 86th Street you can catch part of it (and lots of grafitti to boot).

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 12:27 PM

RailfanWindow.com
Cool!

Do you have anything on your web-site about the mythological "abandoned" underground stations?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

boardsurfer
Jul 23, 2004, 12:56 PM

RailfanWindow.com
Holy ****. Take pictures much? Thats quite a work you got there.

/San Diego pics were cool.

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 02:45 PM

i WAS right! Time to take her down a notch!

http://www.railway-technology.com/pr...s/newyork4.jpg
Not that it means much (the newer cars have the same schematics) but that photo is 30 years old!

alex_wlu_82  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by TheJoshu:
Not that it means much (the newer cars have the same schematics) but that photo is 30 years old!
yeah, that was her argument too.. i was looking over video footage i took in the AMNH station, and caught some 4-door cars on tape.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2004, 07:26 PM

I was so glad I had a local showing me around New York City when I was there. The subway was not particularly friendly to new users of the system. I guess I've been spoiled by color lines used on the London and Hamburg Underground, or the less complex small systems like DART and BART. I really wish they would change the system a tad to make it easier for visitors, but I suppose that would go against the typical New York additude *ducks*
<This space under renovation>

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 06:50 AM

... The NYC system indeed looks a little chaotic on the map: it could probably benefit from a little more "rationalisation", so to say. On a related front, what would definitely be a good thing is to make through lines of the separate suburban railways (LIRR, PATH, Metro North, etc.), instead of the current separate terminals: i.e., with relatively short new tunnel sections, build a unified system � la RER or S-Bahn, similarly to the subway. Another not-so-optimal thing of the New York system is the new AirTrain, which doesn't currently offer direct connections to the downtown area, but only a shuttle-like, mini-metro service.

Probably, due to a different background mindset, such things aren't seen as prioritary in the US, anyway...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Forum Links
Forum Rules