Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How does one dye their skin like MJ's anyway?

How does one dye their skin like MJ's anyway?
Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2004, 11:12 PM

I remember when the whole controversy was out: did Michael Jackson dye his skin white? My first question was: If he did, how did he do it? I mean, in this book I had to read in High chool Black Like Me (great book, btw), a white dude runs an experiment. He goes down into the deep south and journals his experiences. Then he dyes his skin black by treating it with radiation, then noticed the different way people treated him as he repeated his exact behavior that he had before. Radiation makes sense when turning darker, but what do you do if you want lighter skin? Do you litteraly use bleach?
I have been curious about this, since I noticed that it started way back in the early 80s with Thriller. Notice how he gets progressively lighter with each album. There was even a change between Dangerous and History! I get the sense from this that it was a type of treatments he recieved over time.
Last of all, my cousin claims Prince has dyed his skin since he first hit the scene in 78. I refuse to belive that, but he does seem darker.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2004, 11:21 PM

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2004, 12:42 AM

I thought his skin color changed because of some dermatological treatment he had for a skin disorder.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2004, 12:43 AM

I'm guessing it's something that requires a prescription.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2004, 01:12 AM

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 08:23 AM

Southern belles used to use lemon juice to lighten their skin....so maybe MJ is just using a more acidic peel?
Or maybe they've injected antibodies to melanin?

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
hehehe. that's the first thing that came to my mind as well.

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
I thought his skin color changed because of some dermatological treatment he had for a skin disorder.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Let me sell you this cool bridge I own in Brooklyn....

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

snappy

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2004, 09:19 AM

to look like that thing, one would have to destroy all melenin production in teh body... cool trick

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2004, 09:35 AM

lets see your black, looking to be white, you have white children....hmmmmm.....
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Yeah, the media describes him as "bleaching" his skin all the time. But how does one go about it? Do you just put some bleach on a sponge and start rubbing it into your skin? I am wondering if this is a treatment that is widely available or if it is an option available only to Michael because of his wealth.

Among people of colored skin, having lighter skin is kinda like a privilage- if this treatment was available to the public, I wonder if many people would be trying it, if only to lighten their shade a little bit.

My website

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 01:19 PM

Topical hydroquinone inhibits melanin production. I think I've heard of azelaic acid being used for this too, if I recall.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 02:09 PM

Didn't he have some sort of skin transplant ?

ryju
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2004, 02:11 PM

"Nooo that's ignorant you're ignorant it's a skin disease don't be ignorant!"

(south park)

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
Among people of colored skin, having lighter skin is kinda like a privilage- if this treatment was available to the public, I wonder if many people would be trying it, if only to lighten their shade a little bit.
|wishing is for suckers|

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by TheDisaster:
Are you a person of color? Are you aware of issues like these? Have you ever seen a child try to scrape the outer layer of their skin off because they don't want the color? I have. There is a reason a lot of the black community dislikes Mr. Jackson and doesn't support him other than his freaky antics.

If you are going to roll your eyes at least explain why you are doing it.

My website

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 11:20 PM

Among people of colored skin, having lighter skin is kinda like a privilege�
I thought it was blacker the berry, sweeter the juice.

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
Howard Stern brought this topic up recently on his show when Chris Rock was the guest star. Howard was trying to be an asshole by doing so- I just wanted to point out that I wasn't trying to do the same, I was hoping for some legitimate intellectual discussion.

My website

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 10:02 PM

While I wouldn't call it a priviledge, there is a certain social stratification in African-American culture based on skin shade--the lighter, the more desirable.

That saying is in response (well appropriated from berry picking) to those social mores and is the title of a rather famous (and tremendous) Harlem Renaissance book: The Blacker the Berry...

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
While I wouldn't call it a priviledge, there is a certain social stratification in African-American culture based on skin shade--the lighter, the more desirable.

That saying is in response (well appropriated from berry picking) to those social mores and is the title of a rather famous (and tremendous) Harlem Renaissance book: The Blacker the Berry...
More recently this saying has been applied to skin color, quoted by Tupac in his 1993 song Keep Ya' Head up. The song is dedicated to black single mothers.

My website

KrazyEvilGoat
Banned
Jul 27, 2004, 11:15 PM

He had an operation which did something, thus making his skin white. He didn't have a skin transplant and he didn't bathe in clorox.

He claimed it was for a skin disorder. Frankly he's the scariest white guy I've ever seen.

Saul Goode
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2004, 11:25 PM

There IS a skin disorder that causes that. There is no treatment or cure.

The problem is, this disorder creates bad pale blotches all over that look like hell. So doctors usually prescribe injections that accelerate the lightening process so you at least look even all over.

Does MJ have this problem? I don't know and NEITHER DO YOU, but it is real.

I'll stop using the term "colored" as soon as they do.
I'm somewhat of an enigma: an atheist conservative.

Mrs_Vod[k]a
Jul 27, 2004, 11:34 PM

currently the most famous black entertainer

currently the LEAST famous black entertainer

could we extrapolate from this that there is a heirarchy in the entertainment business where the fairest blacks are at the top? or did i just want to post that picture of beyonce?

Saul Goode
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2004, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by Mrs_Vod[k]a:

currently the most famous black entertainer

[img] or did i just want to post that picture of beyonce?
I personally won't question your motives!

Got any more?

I'll stop using the term "colored" as soon as they do.
I'm somewhat of an enigma: an atheist conservative.

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by Saul Goode:
There IS a skin disorder that causes that. There is no treatment or cure.

The problem is, this disorder creates bad pale blotches all over that look like hell. So doctors usually prescribe injections that accelerate the lightening process so you at least look even all over.

Does MJ have this problem? I don't know and NEITHER DO YOU, but it is real.
Just for your information, the condition is called Vitiligo, it is not that uncommon. Look it up on a medical site.

I think the suspicion is not caused over the change in Michael's skin color, but the elements of body dismorphia that accompany it. If the guy never had plastic surgery, had a normal upbringing, and was not a minority in a country that hates minorities, then I would take his word without questioning. Notice how Lisa Marie Presley never denied the suggestion that Michael did it to himself on the Opra inverview in the early 90s, and I would think she should know the truth.

My website

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by KrazyEvilGoat:
He had an operation which did something.
No sh!t Sherlock. What that "something" is is exactly what I was wondering. The "Topical hydroquinone inhibits melanin production. I think I've heard of azelaic acid being used for this too, if I recall." suggestion sounds good to me.

Who suggested a complete skin transplant? That is ridiculous! Can you imagine what that would look like? My friend has a small skin transplant he recieved when he was severely burned- I can't imagine what it would be like to have all of your dermis replaced. You may find MJ scarey or ugly, but a skin transplant? Be real.

My website

Forum Links
Forum Rules