Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iChat quiting.

iChat quiting.
drainyoo
Senior User
Nov 7, 2005, 12:15 AM

For some reason out of no where iChat quits right after it log on. It does it every single time. I dumped my prefs and that worked for a few minutes but its happening all over again. Its so weird.

Anyone have this problem?
( Last edited by drainyoo; Nov 7, 2005 at 12:28 AM. )
i hate project managers.

MadBrowser
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2005, 12:49 AM

I've had this problem. I never solved it - I just installed Adium.

I remember reading on this issue and it is at least relatively common. iChat seems to have some issues in this dept.

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Nov 7, 2005, 12:46 PM

This is really annoying. I wonder if its iChat or if it has something to do with the AIM service. It started happening after I upgraded to 10.4.3
i hate project managers.

Chicacredes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2005, 02:35 AM

Ever since 10.4.3 I have been having problems with iChat crashing during video chats. It usually works for a while then crashes out of no where... Also If it doesn't crash then sometimes the video will freeze. I can see video of the person who I am talking to, but I am just a still picture. Yes its kinda annoying. Luckily I am not having any problems with the rest of iChat. Hopefully this is resolved in an update.

Ill just keep sending bug reports to Apple

I am using an iSight camera
( Last edited by Chicacredes; Nov 10, 2005 at 03:15 AM. )

AGP G4 DP 1.3 Upgraded G-Celerator 1GIG RAM | PB G4 1.25 FW800 1GIG RAM | Video iPod 60GIG

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2005, 09:17 AM

It used to crash quite a lot for me, as soon as I got 10.4/iChat3.. Turned out the cause was an outdated install of iChatUSBcam, which I never used anyway, as I have an iSight now.
Got anything like that installed? In fact I would check any 3rd party iChat add-ons you may have installed.
Check the crash logs too.. Can be a bit hard to decifer, but you can usually find some good clues in there..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Chicacredes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2005, 05:58 PM

No usb cam stuff that i can find, but i was using iChat Streaming Icon for a bit right before the update. But i dont think it installed anything. Just an application you run while you are using iChat. Also just put fotobooth on my machine, but no one else I know seems to have any problems with this. Hmmm... Ill take a look if i can find anything else.

Thanx

AGP G4 DP 1.3 Upgraded G-Celerator 1GIG RAM | PB G4 1.25 FW800 1GIG RAM | Video iPod 60GIG

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2005, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chicacredes
No usb cam stuff that i can find, but i was using iChat Streaming Icon for a bit right before the update. But i dont think it installed anything. Just an application you run while you are using iChat. Also just put fotobooth on my machine, but no one else I know seems to have any problems with this. Hmmm... Ill take a look if i can find anything else.

Thanx
iChat Streaming Icon is probably the problem. Did you have this problem before installing it?

hollowflame
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2005, 09:50 AM

Did iChat get updated with 10.4.3? If he had the streaming icon program installed before the update, it can't be iChat, if there was no update...

Chicacredes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2005, 08:59 PM

Ok i moved took all of the preferences files out of my library for streaming icon and also found another app i forgot about, grab photos, and got rid of that too... ill be chatting with my friend tonight and we will see how it goes...

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2005, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chicacredes
Ok i moved took all of the preferences files out of my library for streaming icon and also found another app i forgot about, grab photos, and got rid of that too... ill be chatting with my friend tonight and we will see how it goes...
My buddy, who is having the same issues as you, tried everything mentioned above, but we are still have issues video chatting. His iChat crashes sometimes 10 minutes into the chat, and sometimes 30 seconds into the chat. I'll ask him, but I think he also has an upgraded AGP Graphics machine. Maybe it has something to do with 10.4.3 and the upgrade?

Chicacredes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2005, 09:18 PM

i think its less frequent, but it still crashes every so often. i think it does have something to do with the 10.4.3 upgrade and my machine. hopefully it is fixed in the next version.

Forum Links
Forum Rules