Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Moniter blacks out

Moniter blacks out
The Dark Half
Mar 28, 2000, 02:44 PM

i brought my G4 350 (AGP) into work and hooked it up to a Apple 21" moniter. I switched the resolution to 1152x870 and I forgot to change the resolution before taking it back home. When i hooked back up to my Apple 15" at home, it blacks out on start up. The OS9 splash screen shows up, but before the extensions load, the moniter blacks out. (This does not happen w/extensions off) I have tried zappin PRAM, removing and suspicions extensions, trashed the moniter/system/finder prefs... Aside from reinstalling the system and bringing my G4 back to work, does anyone have any clue on how to fix this? TIA!!!

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2000, 02:50 PM

Try trashing the display preferences file (in the preferences folder in the system folder, as if you didn't know that already). The display settings are probably set up for the 21" monitor on some unfeasably high refresh rate for the 15". trashing the prefs file will force it back to the default (which is used when you start up extensions off, and is what it is supposed to reset back to with a PRAM reset).
Aaron

The Dark Half
Mar 29, 2000, 10:52 AM

Zwilnik: Will try it tonite and post if it works! I kept looking for Moniter prefs... D'OH!! (it's always the simple things that bypass my brain, hehe)

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2000, 03:32 PM

Zapping the PRAM will restore the monitor's default settings. Wait for two bongs.

The Dark Half
Apr 5, 2000, 08:37 AM

GORDYmac - Zapping PRAM will NOT restore moniter settings... (not w/OS 9.0/G4) Zapped it more than 5 times (3 times each) The culprit was the display prefernces...

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2000, 09:05 AM

So it's working ok now you trashed the display prefs then ?
Aaron

Forum Links
Forum Rules