Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Back-up gone bad...

Back-up gone bad...
TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2001, 11:51 AM

I have a 13GB hard drive in my iMac, as well as an external 30 GB FireWire drive (with, currently, 21.5 GB free). I am running OS 9.2.1 and OS X 10.1.

I was trying to repair the iMac drive with Norton Utilities 5 (later I tried 6) (by placing it in FireWire Target Disk Mode and mounting it on the desktop of another iMac) but it found errors in the catalog b-tree that it wouldn't fix - it just said something about not having memory, when there is 320MB on this computer and when I had, eventually, alotted 200MB to Disk Doctor. When I tried it agan, DD hung for an hour on "VHB Recheck" until I had to force-quit it. Now, my iMac drive - which had 800MB free previously - says it has "zero k" available. Somehow, I've lost 800MB. I'm not sure whether this is a problem with my drive or whether I caused it with Norton.

Either way, it is now my plan to back up the contents of my internal drive onto my external drive (something I've been doing irregularly for the past 18 months). However... when I drag one drive to the other, after spending 20 minutes "preparing to copy" 160,000 files, it says there is no space - I need 27.97 GB more on my external drive.

So.. the question is.. why does the OS think that I need 27.97 GB *more* than the 21.56 GB I have free to copy the contents of a 13 GB hard drive?

And where did my 800 MB go?

Thanks so much. I've been working on this for hours, and I'm still exactly where I was when I began. I hate not being able to solve these problems. lol.

Cipher13
Nov 13, 2001, 06:25 AM

Are both of your drives formatted to HFS Extended?

If so, then the 13 gig is damaged.

Run DiskWarrior over it; that'll fix it. Avoid anything Norton like the plague.

Forum Links
Forum Rules