Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerMac picture thread

PowerMac picture thread
Sawtooth2000
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2001, 09:44 AM

Inspired by the PowerBook G4 and iBook picture threads, I would like to start one for the towers... All Apple towers welcome, not just QuickSilver... Please posts your pics.

-'tooth

edit: G3 and G4 welcome, and technically, the Cube was the "PowerMac G4 Cube" so it does fall into this category, and the seperate thread for the Cube owners is redundant and not necessary. However, since it has already started, I won't ask everyone to repost to this thread.

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: Sawtooth2000 ]

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Jul 30, 2001, 11:11 AM

Michaelm8000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 11:58 AM

http://homepage.mac.com/michael_m/PhotoAlbum2.html

there is a link to a bunch of pics of my new G4.

Leonis
Senior User
Jul 30, 2001, 12:52 PM

Hm.....so you have a new machine Michael

The zip drive bezel looks kinda weird to me....I like the older one better.

BTW....the heat sink is HUGE

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: Leonis ]
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

APC
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2001, 01:07 PM

InterfaceGuy, do you have more pics? I am thinking about getting the same setup you have... QuickSilver + Cinema Display, yummm

Thanks in advance
APC Mac-head since 1987
-- what? image signature? nah, too lazy. --

Cowdog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Michaelm8000:
<STRONG>there is a link to a bunch of pics of my new G4...</STRONG>
Damn Michael are you Steve Job's son or something? Seems you get every new mac that comes out.. or maybe being from WA you're Bill's

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: Cowdog ]
moof. home of the quintuple edit.

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 01:21 PM

...my old trusty b&w G3 400. Sold it 2 weeks ago ($1,050 for the tower w/ SCSI, 20GB drive, 512MB RAM) on eBay. Have a dual-800 on order! I've replaced the Nokia 17" screen (on the right) with a 19" Trinitron, since.

(you said any Mac towers!)

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 01:36 PM

Here is my setup:

G4 867 w/ 384 mb RAM
GeForce3
CD-RW
Epson 900G
Epson 1240U Scanner
Monsoon Flat Speakers
Powerbook Ti 400MHz w/ 384 mb RAM
Airport in both
~Peace~

Leonis
Senior User
Jul 30, 2001, 01:37 PM

My G4 tower and the Display were supposed to be sold last month. About a day before I deliver them to the buy he phoned me and told me he changed his mind! Damn! Now I am stuck!

[ 08-04-2001: Message edited by: Leonis ]
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Cowdog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 01:58 PM

here's some I actually took (3 months ago so some's changed) for AI but never posted and now they're dead do thats that:

(and another)

my b&w g3, which I keep in my mosty sound proof closet and run wires to the desk, 19" monitor, speaks, usb beta tested (free ) zip, logitech optical scroll, internal burner, 2 vst fw hds, cable modem, net gear router, networked downstairs to an 8500, laserprinter, scanner, wide format epson, etc..

g3 should be replaced in a couple days when my sweet deal of an auction DP533 hopefully arrives

kronkiness
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2001, 02:12 PM

Cant wait for the new 'Quicksilver' to arrive! My babies will have a new family member to keep them company. Oh, btw - here are my babies waiting in anticipation...hehehe.

Note: If images fail to load, go to:-

null
null

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2001, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by blakespot:
<STRONG>

...my old trusty b&w G3 400. Sold it 2 weeks ago ($1,050 for the tower w/ SCSI, 20GB drive, 512MB RAM) on eBay. Have a dual-800 on order! I've replaced the Nokia 17" screen (on the right) with a 19" Trinitron, since.

(you said any Mac towers!)

blakespot</STRONG>
That's a sweet setup, but what I really covet is the Princess'Bride movie poster on the wall, where did you get it?
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 03:42 PM

Ahh, the Princess Bride poster. A prized posession. It was given me by a girlfriend I had, she ordered two one for each of us somehow. I'll bet you could find some on eBay. Interesting, little totally unrelated story: My wife and I (this is not the girlfriend I spoke of) are together now becuase when we met, she had been dumped like 12 hours before, so was NOT looking for a date/bf, etc. Well--it came out in coversation that we both 1) had Princess Bride posters, 2) The PB was both of our favorite movies, 3) had both read the book and 4) had both sent away for the "missing love scene" section of the book ("the reunion scene outsite the fireswamp")--this get her interested. I proposed 6 months later. We've been married almost 3 years now.

Hopefully, the price of the dual-800 G4 I've recently ordered won't end the marriage.

As for the setup you call sweet, I made it sweeter by building a room-size desk to accomodate it and my other machines:

http://www.blakespot.com/desk &lt;-- more pix...

blakespot

steve666
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2001, 06:35 PM

When, oh when, are they going to get rid of those clear handles? Looking at the pic of the G3 I think the handles looked much better being the same color as the sides of the tower. Much better than clear..........................

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2001, 07:55 PM

Can we all agree that we HATE Bohdi! Nay, LOATH Bohdi!! LOATH LOATH!

I mean come'on! A cinema display, a TiBook AND a G4 867!

That's just plain cruel.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

Euphrates
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 08:28 PM

Word to that. Bohdi better start sharing the wealth or someone's head will roll, and I've got a pretty good idea who's its gonna be....

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 08:30 PM

~Peace~

Jul 30, 2001, 10:55 PM

YUK to the Quicksilver...B/W still look better, even though they're older.

S_Lanaway
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2001, 11:01 PM

Bodhi where's you get the Doors Gold album?
http://www.titancreative.com
http://www.scottlanaway.com

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2001, 11:15 PM

<STRONG>http://www.blakespot.com/desk &lt;-- more pix...</STRONG>
I spied in one of those photos some duct tape on the underside of the desk... you sure you want to support that many thousands of dollars of tech with duct tape?! [/LIST]

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 11:41 PM

S_Lanaway ~

I work for a record label. That Doors album is a commemorative gold album recognizing sales of more than 3 Million copies. It's number 285 out of 500 and signed by the entire band.

The Simpsons print is a limited edition print of all the characters from the Simpsons. It's not a poster but an actual hand numbered ink print from Twentieth Century Fox. It's number 141 out of 500.

the frame to the right of the Doors album is a picture of me and Van Halen with the backstage pass underneath. When I met the band again I had them sign the picture so it's has all of their signatures on it as well.

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: Bodhi ]
~Peace~

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 11:43 PM

funkboy: Heh... Tho I have the utmost faith in ducttape. I will clarify that what looks like ducttape is a metal "cuff" of sorts that holds up a perpendicular beam, supporting it. :-)

blakespot

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2001, 11:02 PM

For a while now I've been looking for an excuse to post pictures of my setup, so I'm taking advantage of the opportunity. Now grant my setup isn't as nice as some of the others I've seen, but, for a 19YO College Freshman!
I've included 2 additional pictures to show you the complete setup. The Black Centris is eventually going to be a backup server (Waiting to be able to afford a large enough SCSI HD. The PM 7200/90 is my PC/pre OS X machine (I'm planning on upgrading the PCfx's 200 Mhz processor up to the max 800 Mhz, again when I can afford it). I'm using gNat on the G4 to share the net, with other machines. So what does everyone think??? I know I have some desktops in the pics, but I couldn't resist

iGeek

KevinRose
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2001, 09:51 PM

- K

slipjack
Senior User
Aug 1, 2001, 10:02 PM

great shots

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: slipjack ]

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2001, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by mac-at-kearsarge:
<STRONG>For a while now I've been looking for an excuse to post pictures of my setup, so I'm taking advantage of the opportunity. Now grant my setup isn't as nice as some of the others I've seen, but, for a 19YO College Freshman!
I've included 2 additional pictures to show you the complete setup. The Black Centris is eventually going to be a backup server (Waiting to be able to afford a large enough SCSI HD. The PM 7200/90 is my PC/pre OS X machine (I'm planning on upgrading the PCfx's 200 Mhz processor up to the max 800 Mhz, again when I can afford it). I'm using gNat on the G4 to share the net, with other machines. So what does everyone think??? I know I have some desktops in the pics, but I couldn't resist

</STRONG>
Dude, I don't think you own a Sawtooth. There was a 400MHz G4 that shipped with Gigabit Ethernet and ADC compatable AGP. I think you own a Mystic G4. See, the Sawtooths had a green light, yours has a white light. And considering it's 400MHz, you have the low-end Mystic (only single processor configuraiton) model. The others were the 450DP and 500DP. Check the back and see if you have an ADC port, that will confirm it's a Mystic and not a Sawtooth.

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

<Jeff W.>
Aug 1, 2001, 11:05 PM

Here is hte url for my site.. in total my Fiancee and I have 7 computers. I have a dual 450 G4, she has a Cube, I have a iBook (dual usb) she has akey lime ibook .. i have a quadra 610 and she has a performa 550.. and we just got a Compaq ez2200 for dirt cheap on ebay for pc games...
http://www.jeff-n-henry.com/drome/
http://www.jeff-n-henry.com/g4
(for my g4)

Jeff

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2001, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Jeff W.&gt;:
<STRONG>Here is hte url for my site.. in total my Fiancee and I have 7 computers. I have a dual 450 G4, she has a Cube, I have a iBook (dual usb) she has akey lime ibook .. i have a quadra 610 and she has a performa 550.. and we just got a Compaq ez2200 for dirt cheap on ebay for pc games...
http://www.jeff-n-henry.com/drome/
http://www.jeff-n-henry.com/g4
(for my g4)

Jeff </STRONG>
I own a 450DP G4 with an ADC CRT and QPS! FireWire Graphite burner too! It's just I don't have a camera to take of picture of it.

[email protected]

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2001, 12:18 AM

Blackspot nice set up

nice I am glad to see that you also suport Creative Soundworks. Do you love you speekers, Haven't seen the white ones but they still sound good don't they I have the three way digital ones for 79 and they rock would trade them for the world

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: G4ME ]

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

CharD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2001, 12:46 AM

The top photo is my "fun" Mac digital video setup, with a G4 450 (soon to be replaced by a DP800), Mitsubishi 900U monitor, Epson 900 inkjet, Epson 1200U scanner, Sony GV-D900 (for DV capture & record), Sony 19" Trinitron and Sony TRV-900 DV camera (in its case).
Computer Envy.psd
The bottom photo is my "work" Wintel setp, with a Bell XPS B800, iiyama Pro 17 monitor, Epson 740 printer, Visionier 6200 scanner and HP LaserJet 2200D.
G5 Dual, 12" Au PB, Nikon Coolscan IV ED, Epson 1200 scanner, Canon i950 printer; Sony GV-D900, Sony DCR-TRV900, Canon D60, Nikon 990, Canon S400 Yes, too much stuff :cool:

CharD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2001, 12:49 AM

Well, shoot - guess I don't know how to post a photo. Can someone help me here?

Thanks!
G5 Dual, 12" Au PB, Nikon Coolscan IV ED, Epson 1200 scanner, Canon i950 printer; Sony GV-D900, Sony DCR-TRV900, Canon D60, Nikon 990, Canon S400 Yes, too much stuff :cool:

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2001, 02:27 PM

G4ME: Yes... Those Cambridge SoundWorks SoundWorks speakers (I also have a set of Cambridge SoundWorks PC-Works speakers hooked to two Amiga's on the other side of the room--a smaller set of speakers w/ a lesser sub) are crazy fine. Sound excellent. I paid $90 2.5 years ago, and the reviews said they're likely better than your hifi stereo speakers... Well, I've got Bose Acoustimass-5's in that department, so no...they do not sound better than my hifi speakers...but, fine they are!!!
http://www.bose.com/home_audio/music_speakers/am5/

(but mine are white)

blakespot

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2001, 09:46 AM

KevinRose, man those are really great photos. I can't stop staring at them... it'll be a loooong 3-4 more weeks until my 867 gets here....

Kozmik
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2001, 05:31 PM

Bodhi, how do you get all that cool stuff!? Also, those are Monsoon speakers, aren't they? If so, what models? I've got the MM-700s myself (but no G4 tower to post a pic of ).
<A HREF="http://www.macnet2.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi" TARGET=_blank>
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

Cowdog
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2001, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by steve666:
<STRONG>When, oh when, are they going to get rid of those clear handles? Looking at the pic of the G3 I think the handles looked much better being the same color as the sides of the tower...</STRONG>
Saw a couple posts of g3 case vs g4 case.. I just got a dp 533 and thought I'd post some comparison shots.

check out: http://homepage.mac.com/jibjab/

[ 08-05-2001: Message edited by: Cowdog ]

nana2
Senior User
Aug 4, 2001, 06:21 PM

<STRONG> I paid $90 2.5 years ago, and the reviews said they're likely better than your hifi stereo speakers... Well, I've got Bose Acoustimass-5's in that department, so no...they do not sound better than my hifi speakers...but, fine they are!!!
blakespot</STRONG>
I think the reviews may be correct in this particular case

njf_osx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2001, 10:10 PM

Here are some pictures i took the day i got my new quick silver(this friday)

Pictures

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2001, 10:13 PM

iBook 500 20 gig CD-RW not in picture

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2001, 10:34 PM

njf_osx: Where did that shot000 picture come from. What game or map is that? And was that a geforce3 card. Just curious.
-- SBS --

<Hornet>
Aug 4, 2001, 11:09 PM

Nice pics guys, sorry I dont have a digital camera to show mine. its a G4/466 w/Applevision 17"

OMG Bohdi your setup is awesome!

What is really interesting for me, is that.. thats very similar to how im planning on setting up my room in about a year down the track. Not a 22" ACD, probably a 17" tho, with a G5 or so No laptop...

What I really like in that pic item wise is the desk (no2 the ACD no3 the QS ). I'm considering getting a very similar desk, thats almost exactly what I was hoping to get! My bro has a similar looking one, but an against the wall style. I really like corner desks

Where did you get it? Can you recommend it? Any more pics?

<Hornet>
Aug 4, 2001, 11:34 PM

SkiBlueSki: That'd be urban terror 2.x, on the map ut_sands. I didnt chekc the url but I presume you mean the desert shot

I'd know, heh, I'm a tester of that mod

I get about 60-80fps on that map with my rage128pro. REALLY tweaked config, sacrifices a lot sure (not texture detail tho, 3/4). Vertex, 800x600, low sound, no doppler, no dynamic lighting or sky... to begin with. About 100 changes (rest IN the config changes, not UI config changes... the deep stuf ). On my G4/466 I can timedemo 112fps @ 640x480 without sound, with the config. Rage 128 pro 16MB lol.

njf_osx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2001, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by SkiBikeSki:
<STRONG>njf_osx: Where did that shot000 picture come from. What game or map is that? And was that a geforce3 card. Just curious.</STRONG>
That is Urban Terror a quake 3 mod it is really awesome it looks to be better then counter strike. For the map that is padshop website and yes i got a geforce 3 card with my new quick silver and all the settings were on high when i took that picture and i was at 1024x768

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2001, 03:47 AM

See guys, the cae doesnt look too bad, kinda stealthy.
And for future refrence, try linking your images, instead of embedding them, make it easier for low bandwidrth users

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2001, 04:27 AM

No pix, just links...
The first is a very unhappy, clean room, dressed up for company.
http://homepage.mac.com/zac4mac/.Pictures/desksm.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/zac4mac/.Pic...P8052571sm.jpg

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2001, 07:15 AM

On the Quicksilver pictures here, the drive bay doors/zip drive bezels look a lighter grey than the casing fronts. Are they really a different shade or is it just the way they come out in photographs. On Apple's promo pictures they look the same shade as the casing. Just curious. I hope to post pictures of my new 867 when it comes.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2001, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by zac4mac:
<STRONG>No pix, just links...
The first is a very unhappy, clean room, dressed up for company.
http://homepage.mac.com/zac4mac/.Pictures/desksm.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/zac4mac/.Pic...P8052571sm.jpg</STRONG>
Hey Zac, can you get me a 1280x1024 version of the desktop picture on your middle monitor please? E-mail it at [email protected] .

[email protected]

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2001, 05:10 AM

umm i got a 466 with a optiquest 19' monitor and a monkey on top of my g4... =]

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: dvd ]
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

M�lum
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2001, 03:42 AM

waiting for the real new tower

iPad
Aug 7, 2001, 04:08 AM

Here's a picture of my dad's dual G4/500/320MB/30GB+20GB/Radeon

Oh hell, might as well include my G3/400/384/45GB as well (not a G4, but same form factor, and since others seem to be posting their G3 machines as well)

And a look back at the beige days:

el matteo
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2001, 02:42 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules