Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Copland and Gershwin

Copland and Gershwin
The Dude
Banned
May 3, 2001, 10:59 PM

Continuing a post in the Lounge by chris_h, I began to think, not many of us have heard of these these two OSs.

There are a few people on these forums who I know, that have some knowledge of them, but I want to reach out and see how much is known of these two. You know, to create a compendium of information.

P.S. When my PowerBook gets back from the shop, I will try and get these two builds of Copland and one of Gershwin that are on it's hard drive to an older machine.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
May 3, 2001, 11:08 PM

I've heard of those... They're old school!

------------------
Fyre4ce

"I need a vacation." - Terminator robot
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Cipher13
May 4, 2001, 04:14 AM

Dude, don't forget Pink!

Yeah, I tried Copland on the 5500... but I had to reboot and I was feeling lazy. So I didn't install a new OS8 to do it... ah well. I'll do it later tonight.

I'll post back here later.

Cipher13

------------------
AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

Norm1985
Mac Elite
May 4, 2001, 07:48 AM

I heard of Copland and Garshwin. :-( I wished they happened. Damn Apple board. :-(

------------------
I'd like to quote Steve Jobs on my feelings about Microsoft and even Windows, "The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have absolutly no taste, and what that means is... I don't mean that in a small way, I mean that in a big way. In the sense that, they don't think of original ideas and they don't bring much culture into their product." and that is one of the main reasons I use Macintosh computers.

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

Milio
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2001, 09:05 AM

And don't let anyone tell you that Copeland failed for technical reasons. It was strictly management that killed it. From what I saw of Copeland, it was superior to OS X. Management killed it in no small part because it was taking a long time to develop. Well, OS X was obviously rushed out the door, and it's going to take at least as long to get working properly as Apple wanted to take on Copeland. The difference is that now Apple has released and is asking people to pay for an unfinished product whereas before they were interested in having something that worked first.

Stupid Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules