Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iMac boots directally into firmware

iMac boots directally into firmware
thatguy3444
Mar 5, 2000, 06:15 PM

Ok. This is the strangest thing I have ever seen in 13 years of using a Mac. I needed the internet config extension in order to run a program I just downloaded, and I had thrown it away for some reason. For some reason just installing the internet access part of the system folder didn't help, so I reinstalled my whole system (OS 9.0). I restarted my computer, and instead of the happy mac folder, I had a blinking question mark folder. The weird part is that in the upper left corner of the screen, I had text that said

Apple iMac Open Firmware 3.0.f2 built on 04/23/99 at 14:31:03
Copyright 1994-1999 Apple Computer, Inc.
All Rights reserved
ok
0 >

There was a cursor after the command prompt where anything I typed went. I found that I could boot up with the iMac CD, and so I did a clean reinstall with system 8.5. This made the problem worse. Where before I got a blinking question mark and the apple firmware command prompt, now the blinking question mark was gone, and all I saw was a very light grey screen with the open firmware prompt. At this point I was in totally new territory, so I dragged my old Powercomputing clone out of the closet and got on the apple site. Any help would be appreciated.

Things I have tried:

Running the Mac Firmware 1.2 upgrade-
It says my firmware is already up to date and won't do an upgrade.

Typing mac-boot at the command prompt-
I read an old post where somone said this could help. When I do it all I get is "DEFAULT CATCH!, code=300 at %SRR0: ff8oc67c %SRR1: 0000b030 ok"

Zapping the PRAM-
This got the blinking question mark screen back, but it still won't load and I still get the firmware command prompt. NOTE: The happy mac OS folder does stay for a sec when I am starting up. It looks like it is trying to load somthing, but then it goes into firmware.

Running Disk first-aid-
It says my harddrive is fine

Help me!

iMacMan
Mar 5, 2000, 11:02 PM

I had the same problem. This happened to me with my iMac right after I installed a MRJ update from the Software Update control panel. To fix the problem, I just removed the files that got installed. This probably wont help you.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2000, 05:43 AM

I think zapping the pram might work,, but you gotta do it more then once. Hold down the keys to zap pram (command option p r) and let it reboot a few times, never letting go. I had to do this a lot when I installed linuxppc (before bootx). So unless the firmware is bad (corrupt?), it should whip out everything.
Also, I dont know what mac you have (Original imac?) But most newer machines have something on the motherbaord called a cuda button. If you need to know where this is, lemme know, and i can email you a pdf that explains the process.

------------------
-See Yea!

[This message has been edited by oscar (edited 03-06-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules