Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How do I burn a bootable CD?

How do I burn a bootable CD?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2000, 06:50 PM

I want to burn a bootable CD with OS 9. Are there any conditions for it to work the way I want? Do I just burn a System Folder inside or what?

doggydoo
Jun 6, 2000, 07:03 PM

Well, all other things aside, if it is anything like making a bootable Zipdisk, then make sure you have a copy of the current MacOS ROM file on th disk, and use a MASSIVE cache file for the writer to use as a temp file so that you dont introduce ANY errors into the writing process, otherwise all you will have is a shiny new coaster for coffee cup. HTH (:-}

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2000, 02:17 AM

Hi Godfather,

Also, if you're planning to burn a Mac OS 9.0.4 CD-ROM, there are some other issues that you'll need to work around, as discussed in the 'Ask Al' article Why do I get a "file system map inconsistent" error when trying to start up from a CD I made with a Mac OS 9.0.4 System folder? [and also in the earlier Can't burn bootable 9.0.4 CD-R (but 9.0 OK) thread in this Forum].

Regards,

--Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Crawford (edited 06-07-2000).]

Cipher13
Jun 7, 2000, 05:09 AM

Have a valid copy of the System Folder (generally you want a stripped system for this) and put it with the rest of the data you want on the CD (I'm assuming you're Toast) - make sure the System Folder is at root. Go to the disc info (I think) area of Toast and check the "Bootable" option.

Cipher13

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2000, 06:15 AM

I use a ZipCD with an extremely watered down version of Toast....almost like bread actually, but if you just drag your active "System Folder" on to toast, then that's all I've found I have needed to make a bootable disk.

Cheers
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2000, 02:27 PM

Thanks all so much.

You are my fellas now

Forum Links
Forum Rules