Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9600/200 - G4 cards - Asante 10/100 NIC

9600/200 - G4 cards - Asante 10/100 NIC
The Dark Half
Jun 29, 2000, 05:30 PM

i just bought 8 newer tech G4 cards for our 9600/200's (OS 8.1) and i'm having serios lock up problems... Ive narrowed it down to a conflict w/our Asante 10/100 PCI cards. the G4's work fine w/the built in 10base, but lock up on ANY copying on the network or as soon as a page loads in netscape.

I have been on w/tech support, trying al thier suggestions w/no luck. I tried using most of the drivers available on the Asante web site. the cards (and drivers) are discontinued. Just wanted to see if anyone has any solutions for me.. (short of buying new NIC's or a 10 base hub, hehe) TIA!

mrboss
Jul 3, 2000, 12:05 PM

Have you tried moving the Asante card to a different PCI slot? There have been reports of the 9500/9600 series having problems with high speed cards installed in the lower 3 slots.

magician
Jul 3, 2000, 04:11 PM

have you tried XLR8 CarrierZIF?

no such compatibility problems.

djk_norman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2000, 09:47 PM

I'm having a similar problem on an 8500 wth G4/400 NewerTech upgrade.

I'm running Sorenson Broadcaster. When in "preview" mode with no network (broadcast) access it runs great. As soon as I start broadcasting the problems start. After anywhere from 9 to 30 seconds of broadcasting the machine locks up. This is occuring under 8.5.1 and 8.6 with clean installs. This is with the built in networking. I'll try 9.x soon out of desperation.

Newer's advice was to return the card for a replacement. I've done this, but the problems are identical with the new card.

Any suggestions? Are other's G4 cards more reliable?

Thanks,

-David.

The Dark Half
Jul 5, 2000, 08:51 AM

i tried another PCI slot w/no luck.

As far as XLR8 cards, read the G4 card article in the new macworld...

djk_norman: someone else had the same probl;em too. It was posted on macfixit.com last week w/my post. Newertech is aware of the problem, and they are hopefully working on a fix. Newertech makes the best cards out there (but that's just my, and macworlds, opinion)

u can use the G4 card, but u have to turn motherboard cache OFF. our borads work fine and still a MAJOR speed improvement over the 200mhz!

u get freezes on built in 10 base?? what computer?

djk_norman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2000, 10:18 AM

Curious that Newer is aware of the problem. I emailed and called and got nothing more than a "standard" troubleshooting response (i.e., what I could find on-line or in the manual). This was even after explaining the great length I've gone to to get the card working.

The machine is an 8500/120 w/Apple's AV capabilities. I've removed non 162244 Ram (as per macgurus), tried every Newer control panel setting combination, tried OS 8.5.1, 8.6, and 9.0 & 9.0.4. I've removed the internal cache, and removed added VRAM. I even tried a sonic ethernet card from a mac clone and got the same problem. Heck, I've even returned the first G4 card for a replacement as per Newer's advice.

At this point the card is going back. Not sure what I'll replace with.

The Dark Half
Jul 5, 2000, 10:55 AM

actually i gave the wrong advice. D'OH! =(

I turned the motherboard cache ON (bypassing the G4 card cache) It works great on the 10/100 Asante cards. No problems copying, no lock ups! e-mail me, and mabye we can get together and force newertech to fix this bug.

[email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules