Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > AppleTV remote

AppleTV remote
interfx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 08:35 AM

Just hooked up my AppleTV, but the remote is controlling my other MacBook Pro also... Everytime I click a menu item on AppleTV, my Macbook Pro thinks I'm trying to control that computer also...

How do I make this remote just work with AppleTV, and not my MacBook Pro (on the other side of the room)?

Thanks

kikkoman
Senior User
Mar 24, 2007, 08:47 AM

Does anyone read instructions anymore?

http://forums.macnn.com/103/ipod-iph...emote-problem/
( Last edited by kikkoman; Mar 24, 2007 at 08:53 AM. )

torifile
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 08:59 AM

Keep in mind that when you pair the remote with your computer, you're actually telling your computer not to respond to other remotes. That is, your remote will still control more than one computer so you've got to do the sort of counter-intuitive process of pairing your MBP with the remote you're not going to use rather than pairing the AppleTV with the one you will use, if that makes any sense.

IOW, when you try the pairing, you can do it one of 2 ways and only one of them will do what you want:

1) Pair the AppleTV with the remote. This will mean that the AppleTV will not work with your MBP remote but your MBP will still respond to your AppleTV remote.

Or

2) Pair the MBP with its remote. Your MBP will no longer respond to any remote but that one. Your AppleTV will work with that remote, as well. So if you want to control the AppleTV, you can use either its remote or the MBP's remote and (what you want to achieve): using the AppleTV remote will not control your MBP anymore.

interfx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Keep in mind that when you pair the remote with your computer, you're actually telling your computer not to respond to other remotes. That is, your remote will still control more than one computer so you've got to do the sort of counter-intuitive process of pairing your MBP with the remote you're not going to use rather than pairing the AppleTV with the one you will use, if that makes any sense.

IOW, when you try the pairing, you can do it one of 2 ways and only one of them will do what you want:

1) Pair the AppleTV with the remote. This will mean that the AppleTV will not work with your MBP remote but your MBP will still respond to your AppleTV remote.

Or

2) Pair the MBP with its remote. Your MBP will no longer respond to any remote but that one. Your AppleTV will work with that remote, as well. So if you want to control the AppleTV, you can use either its remote or the MBP's remote and (what you want to achieve): using the AppleTV remote will not control your MBP anymore.
Thanks, I had read the instructions but did #1 above. #2 fixed it just perfectly. In fact I had never even unpacked the remote that came with my MacBookPro... Thanks for replying.

torifile
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by interfx View Post
Thanks, I had read the instructions but did #1 above. #2 fixed it just perfectly. In fact I had never even unpacked the remote that came with my MacBookPro... Thanks for replying.
No problem. I was scratching my head wondering why the pairing didn't seem to "work" for me until I read what the security pane said after pairing. Something about this computer will only work with its remote rather than this remote will only work with this computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules