Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > iMac G5: losing Airport connection after sleep

iMac G5: losing Airport connection after sleep
neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2005, 09:37 AM

I know this is an old issue, but it's new for me. Just got a new 20" revB iMac G5, and it seems to be basically perfect (whew!) except for one item: After waking from sleep the airport connection is lost, and I must manually re-select my network from the airport pull-down menu. The wireless router is an old D-Link 802.11b model that works fine, and I'm running 10.4.1.

This is not tragic; I've got plenty of signal and the whole thing is just a single menu selection after waking up. But it's not supposed to work this way.

Anyone know of a fix for this, or any hints why it might happen?

neilw  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2005, 09:53 AM

Hmm, I think I posted too soon. Looks like this problem is very widespread, and possibly Tiger-related, and due to be fixed in 10.4.2. In the meantime, I will try some proposed fixes posted in various places on the web and report back if anything works.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 1, 2005, 10:12 AM

Niel, it's not only NOT specifically Tiger-related, it is surely NOT computer-model related. It's a NETWORKING problem-look there for networking answers.

And the problem is related to the firmware in the AirPort card not taking into account sleep states. If you simply disconnect before sleep, or after sleep disconnect and reconnect, it will probably work fine. This is not automatic, as it should be, but at least it will work.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

neilw  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2005, 10:33 AM

The first I read about this problem was in relation to iMacs, and then upon further reading it appeared that many people only started having this problem in Tiger. There seem to be many slight variations to the problem.

In my case, reconnecting manually after sleep works fine. Just annoying. Hopefully Apple will fix with an Airport update of some kind.

neilw  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2005, 07:05 AM

Someone on the Apple forums suggested the following, and it has fixed my problem:

Remove the folder /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration (write down your network preferences if you need to remember them)

Reboot and reenter network and energy saver preferences.

Everything works normally now.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by neilw
Someone on the Apple forums suggested the following, and it has fixed my problem:

Remove the folder /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration (write down your network preferences if you need to remember them)

Reboot and reenter network and energy saver preferences.

Everything works normally now.
I've had the problem for a few months now and couldn't find a solution. This FINALLY fixed the problem. Thanks!
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 25, 2006, 08:44 PM

Why didn't I move this when I posted in it? My bad-it should be in Networking.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules