Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Advice wanted: combo USB/Firewire hub for iMac G5

Advice wanted: combo USB/Firewire hub for iMac G5
neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2006, 11:00 PM

OK, I'm at the point where I really need a new USB hub (old one is 1.1 only) and a Firewire hub as well (no place to plug in my imminent iSight). My requirements are:

1) USB and Firewire
2) Powered
3) At least one each connector in front (curse Apple for refusing to put easier-accessible ports on the iMac)

It's possible that the only one I've seen meeting all these requirements is the IOGear model, but it's gotten trashed somewhat in reviews.

The Belkin would be perfect but for the fact that it's unpowered.

Is there anything out there that would fit the bill, or should I just bag it and get separate USB and Firewire hubs? Even in that case, I don't know what I'd get that wouldn't create sprawl on my desk.

All suggestions welcome!

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2006, 02:57 AM

i second this desire
MBP 2.4, 2gb, 8600GT, 120gb 7200rpm; white iPhone 3G

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2006, 03:29 PM

I have one of these hooked up to my PM G5:
Dynex (DX-H743P) 4-Port USB Hub Product Information

memyselfandimac
Dec 10, 2006, 05:19 AM

Might want to try one of these if it's in your price range.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ministack/

HDD enclosure+FW hub+USB2 hub, can get them with or without HDD and/or software, if you got a spare HDD lying around enclosure by it's self is $75. Temperature sensor to control speed of fan.

Love mine, 1 usb and 1 FW port on side, easily reachable. Nice looking unit too, made to match Mac Mini but mine is right under monitor of my iMac G5.

neilw  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2006, 11:23 PM

Those are nice but I'd really prefer ports on the *front*, so I can get at them under my iMac screen. On my desk, the hub will have to go on the right side, so the left-facing ports towards the rear would be well nigh inaccessible unless I pulled the whole thing way out.

It's really stupid that nothing like this exists (or that the only ones, the IOGear and the Belkin, have significant issues.)

I have to say, it's fairly interesting to me that there are few if any peripherals well-designed for the iMac....

Forum Links
Forum Rules